Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently used "Blitzen" to cue my partner on REINDEER and LIGHTNING, though I wasn't certain it was legal. As a proper noun, the name of one of Santa's reindeer, it's absolutely common English usage. But as the German word for "lightning", it's not.

So the more general question I guess is: can you use the foreign translation of one of the words if it also works as an English-language application for another word?

Maybe the correct answer is that I shouldn't have included LIGHTNING in the count. "Blitzen : 1" would have been fine but not "Blitzen : 2".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is OK.
The word is in fairly common use in English. AND it is a proper noun anyway. SO it is fine from both angles.

I don't know German at all. I would have found REINDEER pretty quickly, but may not have found LIGHTNING. It would depend on the board though. I do know blitzkrieg, also a fairly common word in English of German extraction which I think translates as lightning war so I may have made the connection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Mann
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that use is OK. I would have said STORM 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezequiel Genender
Argentina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just take into account that you shouldn't use a word in another language that is on the table.
If you knew that "blitzen" is "lightning" in German, you shouldn't use it.

Nonetheless, I don't know any German, so "blitzen" sounds like a great clue, since you can relate blitzen with rudolph, and its red nose with lightning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought using the foreign word for something on the table wasn't allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

It's not specifically verboten. You can't use non-English words unless they would normally be used in an English conversation ("crepe" is the example in the rulebook).

I suppose a foreign equivalent might count as "any form of a visible word", and that's not allowed.

I think I've convinced myself that I shouldn't have used it. But we probably lost anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

This one is debatable. It IS a proper name, so it's allowed, but it's also a translation of a word on the board, so it's also NOT allowed. I think if you asked Vlaada, he might say "No". However, *I* would give it a pass, because the clue is in the meaning of the name itself, not in the translation of it. Blitz is also a common English word, which could lead to "Lightning" on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geneze_cb wrote:

If you knew that "blitzen" is "lightning" in German

Just a very short note:
"Blitz (masc., sing.)" is "lighting". "Blitzen" is not a noun in German. Plural of "Blitz" is "Blitze".

"Blitzen" could also be present tense, 3rd pers. pl. of the verb "blitzen": "Sie blitzen" would be "they (make) lighting".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Si Fei wrote:
"Sie blitzen" would be "they (make) lighting".

Or very specifically: They are playing a game of chess using short time control ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.