John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- my game arrives tomorrow
- i will play this with the normal 3-5 players, and have a 4p game scheduled for 7 days away
- but, i def prefer not playing a game on "game night" that i haven't had a chance to already play/test
- normally my wife is willing to dedicate 1-2 hrs with me when this happens, in order for me to get the basics down enough to teach and also iron out some spots where there might be some confusion
- this works great, because many times in our "learning game" she enjoys the game, and it's something we can then add to our own "rotation"
- so what i'm looking for doesn't have to be "perfect"; just maybe a BGG User created variant that allows 2p while still making the game interesting
- my guess is the biggest issue is if you only have 2p, the whole concept of "allies" kind of gets tossed aside...and the negotiation aspect is a huge part of the game...but before just "giving up" on my plan i thought i'd check-in and see if anyone had come up with a format that might work for me/us

(knowing "going in" that it's not the way the game was designed to be played...but maybe still a way to learn/enjoy the game?)

any ideas? thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is there any 2p"variant"? some way to play with just 2?
I take it you haven't looked in the Variants forum, because that's where all of the attempts at making this a 2P game are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is there any 2p"variant"? some way to play with just 2?
pkitty wrote:
I take it you haven't looked in the Variants forum, because that's where all of the attempts at making this a 2P game are.
no, i've only checked the "files" section...where normally "variants" end up being posted, if they really work...

(edit: and in looking, i didn't see any variants?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say do one less war token than the 3p and I guess toss out alliances entirely? You'll definitely be getting less than the full game, but would probably be useful for learning. Maybe also remove extra copies of any cards? Don't know if that'd be necessary, but it would encourage the two to go different directions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were you I would set up the game by yourself (for four or five) and play it solo, asking yourself at each move what you would do based on the information you have.

That will take a while and it will be a little weird with the war advantages, but that's the best way I can see you getting a handle on the game before game night.

I think a two-player game could be made inspired by the themes and mechanics of Rising Sun, but I'm not sure it would be Rising Sun anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I’ve played 3-player and 5-player games solo. With your wife, you could each take turns with a third clan (making and betraying alliances with it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
I agree. I’ve played 3-player and 5-player games solo. With your wife, you could each take turns with a third clan (making and betraying alliances with it).
thanks for the suggestion, but neither of us enjoy any game where we each need to play/control more than one hero/character/faction/etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
thanks for the suggestion, but neither of us enjoy any game where we each need to play/control more than one hero/character/faction/etc...

Are you absolutely sure....? I only ask because ~~~>
I would think the easiest way to adapt this for two players
would be for each person to simply control two clans each.
Alternating honor would be best, I think, and perhaps random assignment?

The natural strategy would be to have one players two factions 'locked' in as allies,
a sort of Mythic Sengoku,
but I could certainly see using one clan as a catspaw for the other.
I think it is worth trying, myself: I'll let you know if it ends up either tedious or broken.

{ EDIT }

Well of course, someone has already worked through this idea more thoroughly:
Two player variant without an automa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
longagoigo wrote:

I guess that means two players, two clans, as your variant, doesn’t it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
White Elk wrote:
John_VW wrote:

The natural strategy would be to have one players two factions 'locked' in as allies,
I think it is worth trying, myself: I'll let you know if it ends up either tedious or broken.

{ EDIT }

"Are you absolutely sure....? I only ask because ~~~>"...yeah, i'm sure...we just don't like it (but thanks for the input/post anyhow)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
John_VW wrote:
longagoigo wrote:

I guess that means two players, two clans, as your variant, doesn’t it?
the 2 players/3 clans with a rotating 3rd clan would work (for us) better than each of us running 2...

but in reality i'm not seeing an enjoyable 2p option...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just want to get a feel for the game, head to the videos section and watch a playthrough. Heavy Cardboard and Dice Tower both have some decent ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Actually I see no reason why this could not be played with 2 players only and without changing a rule. ‘Hey darling, how about we ally this season; we could both get the alliance bonus for each mandate” “Sure, honey, sounds good to me”. Moments later, “Betray!” Mind games can be played with two as much as with several. My experience of the game, and reading about other people’s experience, seem to indicate that while RS was touted as a spiritual descendant of Diplomacy, there is not that much negotiating going on (yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Ortiz
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say juat try it for yourself and see what tweaks you can do to improve it next time.

I played with my wife when I got it, as prep for game night the next day, and it was actually a good game. We just didn’t do any of the alliance stuff and made that betray only removes one figure. I would probably remove one of the shrines the next time, and try it again.

I can’t say if it’s balanced or anything because it was just one play and I’m not sure if there are cards that are overpowered or anything like that, but I don’t care either, I enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
White Elk wrote:
John_VW wrote:

{ EDIT }

...actually I was thinking to try this with my brother (as a learning game as we did with Cthulhu Wars)... Control 2 random factions each .. but each season (3 im thinking).. roll a die.. even your factions are allied and odd roll... No allying takes place... Makes tea phase quick! 😁

I know it is not intended for this game but may work just as good! (Oh and you would add up pts for both factions together..this way if you "feed" one clan the other would prob lack in pts)...

Thoughts?😉

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.