Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Using tactic cards for death star battle. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
adam B
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I didn't think much of it at the time but I wanted to run this by the community.
I was playing the rebels recently and used a mission cared ( I am at work and forgot what it is called but I want to say, begin the assault) that allows you to move ships but not ground troops from your base to anywhere on the board. I then made it through one round of combat and rolled the three dice to try to score a direct hit and destroy the death star. I missed but then used my tactic card that lets me re roll two dice. Scored a direct hit and destroyed the DS. Is this ok or is this an inappropriate use of the tactic card because it wasn't part of normal combat
thanks all
adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Space tactic cards can only be used during space battle step (see "Combat" section of RR).

Death Star Plans objective can only be used after space battle step (see text on the card).

Therefore, it wasn't a proper use of Concentrate Fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
madmonkeymanmusic wrote:
I didn't think much of it at the time but I wanted to run this by the community.
I was playing the rebels recently and used a mission cared ( I am at work and forgot what it is called but I want to say, begin the assault) that allows you to move ships but not ground troops from your base to anywhere on the board. I then made it through one round of combat and rolled the three dice to try to score a direct hit and destroy the death star. I missed but then used my tactic card that lets me re roll two dice. Scored a direct hit and destroyed the DS. Is this ok or is this an inappropriate use of the tactic card because it wasn't part of normal combat
thanks all
adam
You can't use this card for your Death Star Plans roll, it's for normal attacks only. You can use the Yoda ring to reroll one die, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Smith
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobb Feta wrote:
madmonkeymanmusic wrote:
thanks all
adam
You can't use this card for your Death Star Plans roll, it's for normal attacks only. You can use the Yoda ring to reroll one die, though.

I believe you can also use the "One in a Million Shot" action card on the Death Star Plans roll. At least, I see a lot of people referencing that card combination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bobb Feta wrote:
madmonkeymanmusic wrote:

I believe you can also use the "One in a Million Shot" action card on the Death Star Plans roll. At least, I see a lot of people referencing that card combination.
Yes, the rule book specifically mentions that you can do that. Both thematically and strategically, that's probably the most common use of that card.

Additionally, it has been ruled that you can also use Yoda to reroll one of your Death Star Plans dice and then use One in a Million to make that reroll a direct hit. So if you have Jedi Luke with Yoda in the battle, you can try to roll a hit naturally first and reserve the Force as a backup plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty
United States
California
flag msg tools
Bobb Feta wrote:
Additionally, it has been ruled that you can also use Yoda to reroll one of your Death Star Plans dice and then use One in a Million to make that reroll a direct hit. So if you have Jedi Luke with Yoda in the battle, you can try to roll a hit naturally first and reserve the Force as a backup plan.

Has all of that been ruled on? Because "One in a Million" specifically states that you don't roll the dice but rather place them on the table showing the results of your choice. So from RAW, once you roll those dice, you can't use "One in a Million" (that's the way we play it). I could see a ruling that might state if you have the Yoda ring, then you could place that die on whatever face if you use OiaM.

But if a ruling was made, just ignore me. I'm used to being wrong. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A ruling was made, unfortunately. I do agree with your analysis, but it was officially stated that when you would be rerolling a die, you would also be rolling a die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paranoid Seer
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_stag wrote:
Bobb Feta wrote:

Has all of that been ruled on? Because "One in a Million" specifically states that you don't roll the dice but rather place them on the table showing the results of your choice. So from RAW, once you roll those dice, you can't use "One in a Million" (that's the way we play it). I could see a ruling that might state if you have the Yoda ring, then you could place that die on whatever face if you use OiaM.

But if a ruling was made, just ignore me. I'm used to being wrong. whistle

I think there's a misunderstanding here.

I don't think the ruling was that you could use the yoda Reroll and then when that fails, use one in a million. You can't - the dice is rolled.

What the ruling is is that a yoda Reroll is a roll like any other, and one in a million can be used on it.

So - reveal Death Star plans, roll three blanks.
Say " I use my yoda ring" and pick up the die to Reroll.
instead of actually rerolling, play one in a million and set the die to a direct hit. Boom goes Death Star.

You cannot roll, Reroll, and then use the Plans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mrfan wrote:
So - reveal Death Star plans, roll three blanks.
Say " I use my yoda ring" and pick up the die to Reroll.
instead of actually rerolling, play one in a million and set the die to a direct hit. Boom goes Death Star.

You cannot roll, Reroll, and then use the Plans.
Yes, this is what I meant. Sorry if I was unclear about the sequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
For what it's worth, here's the question and answer from Corey, along with the link to pre-ruling discussion:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25369563#25369563

I wrote:
A question regarding the following sequence of events in Star Wars: Rebellion.

Rebel player rolls 3 dice for Death Star Plans. No [direct hit] symbols, so he declares use of Yoda ring to reroll one die. However, before the actual reroll he declares using One in a Million to place the die showing [direct hit] symbol, so Death Star is destroyed. Is this correct? I think the answer is "yes", but I would like to make sure. Thank you!

Corey wrote:
Yes, the Rebel player can use “One in a Million” in this situation.

I hope this answers your question!
- Corey Konieczka
VP of Research & Design
Fantasy Flight Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.