Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Rise to Nobility» Forums » Rules

Subject: Must buy resources to place die and/or gain workshop bonus? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Garner
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
My wife and I had the first play of this last night. We really enjoyed it, even though our "learning playthrough" took almost 3 hours.

We loved that it feels like there are multiple paths to victory and that you don't just get locked out of things like other WP games at 2 players.

We had a bit of uncertainty later in the game as to whether or not you can place a die at a guild and choose to buy 0 of the resource. If so, then the rules seem to outline the order of the actions in that you get to gain the workshop benefits prior to buying (or not buying).

Could someone help clarify:

Is it correct that you can place a die without buying? And do you still reap the appropriate workshop benefit(s)?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
Yes, you can just use the workshops without buying.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Dimitriou
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The only thing you don't get is the free good for having an apprentice in the guild. I think you need to buy at least one resource to get free goods.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
tommyd65 wrote:
The only thing you don't get is the free good for having an apprentice in the guild. I think you need to buy at least one resource to get free goods.


Yes, this is correct. Free apprentice goods are only received when buying.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rammy M
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Place the die
then in this order:
(I wrote it all in plural, but it may be just 1, or 0, depending ...)
- workshops get "activated", from the left, up to the one above the die
- you may choose to get the benefits or not (each workshop individually)
- the owners (if not you) get income (even if you declined)
- you may buy resources (whatever happened, or didn't, in the previous steps)
- if you bought and have any apprentices you can get free bonus resources
- you may move up to 2 apprentices to the guild (depending which workshop and if there are available slots)(whatever happened, or didn't, in the previous steps)

In addition, you may Afterwards or Beforehand (but not in the middle of those steps),
- Complete 1 settler card

In addition, you may Afterwards or Beforehand (but not in the middle of those steps),
- sell a Building (the rules are not clear if you can sell more than one) (but I have never seen it happen anyway)

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff T
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that - that makes it very clear!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Usticke
United States
Peekskill
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
m5rammy wrote:
- workshops get "activated", from the left, up to the one above the die

Are you sure? The rules state, "The Workshops activate from left to right. If you place a die with value 1 or 2, you activate the first Workshop on the left." Etc.

If you place a 1 or 2 die in a Guild with only a single Workshop in the center spot (above the 3-4 die spot), then isn't it activated since it's the first Workshop on the left?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
austicke wrote:
m5rammy wrote:
- workshops get "activated", from the left, up to the one above the die

Are you sure? The rules state, "The Workshops activate from left to right. If you place a die with value 1 or 2, you activate the first Workshop on the left." Etc.

If you place a 1 or 2 die in a Guild with only a single Workshop in the center spot (above the 3-4 die spot), then isn't it activated since it's the first Workshop on the left?


Just copying my answer to the same question from the other thread:

I don't believe that's the intent of the rule, though I do understand how you could misread it. By "first workshop on the left", it means the one above the 1/2 slot. "Second workshop from the left" means the one above the 3/4, etc. Unless I'm totally mistaken.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Delp
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
austicke wrote:
m5rammy wrote:
- workshops get "activated", from the left, up to the one above the die

Are you sure? The rules state, "The Workshops activate from left to right. If you place a die with value 1 or 2, you activate the first Workshop on the left." Etc.

If you place a 1 or 2 die in a Guild with only a single Workshop in the center spot (above the 3-4 die spot), then isn't it activated since it's the first Workshop on the left?


Just copying my answer to the same question from the other thread:

I don't believe that's the intent of the rule, though I do understand how you could misread it. By "first workshop on the left", it means the one above the 1/2 slot. "Second workshop from the left" means the one above the 3/4, etc. Unless I'm totally mistaken.


Sorry for the ambiguous wording. A 1/2 die only activates a Workshop in the slot above the 1/2 die. A 3/4 die activates the Workshops above the 1/2 and 3/4 slots.

In most cases (except 2-player setup), the Workshops are built from left to right so there wouldn't be an empty slot to the left. The wording of the rule should have been updated to remove confusion regarding that possibility.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
remi van den barg
Netherlands
arnhem
gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjbulldog wrote:
jepmn wrote:
austicke wrote:
m5rammy wrote:
- workshops get "activated", from the left, up to the one above the die

Are you sure? The rules state, "The Workshops activate from left to right. If you place a die with value 1 or 2, you activate the first Workshop on the left." Etc.

If you place a 1 or 2 die in a Guild with only a single Workshop in the center spot (above the 3-4 die spot), then isn't it activated since it's the first Workshop on the left?


Just copying my answer to the same question from the other thread:

I don't believe that's the intent of the rule, though I do understand how you could misread it. By "first workshop on the left", it means the one above the 1/2 slot. "Second workshop from the left" means the one above the 3/4, etc. Unless I'm totally mistaken.


Sorry for the ambiguous wording. A 1/2 die only activates a Workshop in the slot above the 1/2 die. A 3/4 die activates the Workshops above the 1/2 and 3/4 slots.

In most cases (except 2-player setup), the Workshops are built from left to right so there wouldn't be an empty slot to the left. The wording of the rule should have been updated to remove confusion regarding that possibility.



so if you say the workshops are built form left to right, does that mean that in a 3 or more player count you are not able choose where to build?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vojkan Krstevski
Macedonia
Skopje
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
dutchmountains wrote:
mjbulldog wrote:
jepmn wrote:
austicke wrote:
m5rammy wrote:
- workshops get "activated", from the left, up to the one above the die

Are you sure? The rules state, "The Workshops activate from left to right. If you place a die with value 1 or 2, you activate the first Workshop on the left." Etc.

If you place a 1 or 2 die in a Guild with only a single Workshop in the center spot (above the 3-4 die spot), then isn't it activated since it's the first Workshop on the left?


Just copying my answer to the same question from the other thread:

I don't believe that's the intent of the rule, though I do understand how you could misread it. By "first workshop on the left", it means the one above the 1/2 slot. "Second workshop from the left" means the one above the 3/4, etc. Unless I'm totally mistaken.


Sorry for the ambiguous wording. A 1/2 die only activates a Workshop in the slot above the 1/2 die. A 3/4 die activates the Workshops above the 1/2 and 3/4 slots.

In most cases (except 2-player setup), the Workshops are built from left to right so there wouldn't be an empty slot to the left. The wording of the rule should have been updated to remove confusion regarding that possibility.



so if you say the workshops are built form left to right, does that mean that in a 3 or more player count you are not able choose where to build?


In all player counts you cannot choose where to build. You always build on the first available slot from the left.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.