11 Posts

Aeon's End: Legacy» Forums » General

Subject: How does this game compare to LOTR LCG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raw Kyle

Mississippi
msg tools
I am enjoying playing through the Lord of the Rings LCG and its expansions and was wondering how that game compares to Aeon’s End. I have never played Aeon’s End and am considering backing it. The legacy nature really appeals to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I can remember from LOTR LCG, you setup your deck beforehand and play through adventures trying to explore all the areas, defeating monsters and whatnot. Correct me if I have that wrong

Well in Aeon's End, you are building the deck while you play (I'm not sure how familiar you are with deck builders). Basically each player starts with mostly the same deck (1 or 2 unique cards, the rest the same type of cards) and throughout the course of the game you buy cards that go into your deck to be used later on in the game. You'll use those cards to get more buying power, play relics for their effects, and cast spells at minions and the nemesis.

It's kind of similar in that you're using your deck to defeat bad guys, but the biggest difference is how the deck is constructed. One is prior to the game, the other is during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Himes
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games are not even remotely similar. I enjoy both, but they really are completely different and I can't really compare them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Several differences that stand out to me (please note that I am using the non-legacy Aeon's End for comparison since I don't know what all of the legacy mechanics will be):

Deck Construction

In LOTR you spend a lot of time constructing your deck prior to an adventure. In between adventures, you can add and remove cards as you see fit to tailor it to specific challenges. In Aeon's End you always start with a given starting deck based on the character you are playing (and only 1 of the 10 cards is typically unique to that character), there's no deck construction between games and there is a fixed pool of 9 different market cards that you can purchase from during a single game session.

Enemies

In LOTR some scenarios may have a boss type enemy, but you're often having to deal with a lot of different types of threats (monsters, location effects, treachery cards, etc.). In Aeon's End, each game is essentially a boss fight - you're facing one very powerful enemy that attacks, casts spells and spawns monsters (not really, but close enough). You don't have to worry about locations, movement, etc. just think of it as a multi-stage video game boss battle where the boss gets progressively more difficult as the fight goes on.

Card Management

In LOTR you have to manage heroes, allies, attachments, events and so on. I remember sometimes having 10+ different characters that I had to keep track of, each with their own stats, abilities, and possibly items attached. In Aeon's End, you play one mage (maybe two if you want to play two-handed) and there are a lot fewer things to keep track of. It's more about building up your deck throughout the game and figuring out how to manage all of the different things that the nemesis/boss throws at you.

I really enjoyed LOTR LCG, but ultimately moved on to the Arkham Horror LCG, and Aeon's End is currently my wife and I's favorite game to play, so I think both are good but they are very very different types of games and the Legacy aspect does not really change that.

Let me know if you have any detailed questions and I'm happy to help answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Name Surname
Australia
flag msg tools
I have only played lotrlcg core set solo, 2 handed. I also play AE that way so I will compare them that way. I am also more mechanically inclined than thematic and not a huge fan of LOTR.

Mechanically:
Aeons end is deck building with a fixed market, where you change your deck on the fly. The fun is in curating the market for a specific nemesis and choosing the order you purchase cards during the game.

Lotrlcg is deck construction, where the fun is tweaking your deck over and over again to beat the scenario.

Both games have you managing cards and resources but I would say both are similar in decision space. I never found one game more brain-burny than the other. Aeons end has less randomness because you can theoretically track every card you draw. There are no "shadow" card equivalents as almost all enemy card give you time to react or do not force you to commit to a decision. There's less risk taking in aeons end and less "oh balls I drew poorly"

In terms of a "tension" curve, I find that LOTR is a straight-line upwards as time goes on, where aeons end has ups and downs. The variable turn order creates this "fair" variance.

In terms of component quality and aesthetic, fantasy flight wins handily. While aeons end is drawn well, I think it's coloured awkwardly. I think some of the black and white, non-finished card art on the Kickstarter page look better than some finished cards.

A reason I like aeons end more is simply value for money. While the LOTR core set is decent value for money, value tends to go down with expansions and starts reaching unacceptable levels for me pretty quickly. I do live in Australia though.$25AUD for an adventure pack is a joke when the Depths expansion is $35aud

Feel free to ask more detailed questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow they're two really different game types!

You won't find much in common in these two games.
In Aeon's End you're really only trying to do one thing: race the monster. Deal it enough damage to kill it before it deals enough damage to kill you and/or the city you're defending.
Contrary to LOTR, you're not trying to progress through a location deck. It's really just about dealing damage.
And you do that by cycling through a small deck of cards, that give you money to purchase new and better cards, and spells that deal damage.

At the beginning of the game, you're very weak, not because you're not set up and haven't played your assets, like in LOTR, but because you only have 10 cards and they're the worst cards in the game.

To begin the game, you select 9 different cards, and they're the cards you'll be able to purchase during the game. You cannot purchase any other cards during the whole game, so you'll have to either randomize, or choose wisely.
The Nemesis has a tiered deck so you won't get the worst enemy of the game from the start.
The Nemesis will try to slow you down by hitting you with attack card, force you to invest resources in its cards to discard them before they hit you, and putting out minion for you to waste your damage on as they slowly hit you each turn.

Your money can be used to buy cards, focus breach (allowing you to cast more spell to combo damage faster), build up your innate power (of which there are quite a variety) and discard power cards.

There is no different scenario to play, the game is played on a market and Nemesis basis.
Playing the same Nemesis several times is made different by the difficulty levels and the cards you use against it.

I hope this helps. I've played Arkham Horror more than LOTR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jolly G. Giant
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One point I wanted to add (or clarify rather) is there is some pre-game planning that can be done, depending on how you want to approach the game.

First, you can choose the Nemesis. Knowing its abilities, you can choose your Breach Mage based on its counter abilities which may give you an advantage against the nemesis' likely attacks (there is some randomness; not every game against the same boss contains the same cards).

Finally you choose the 9 types of cards for your market deck. So far I have Aeon's End, The Depths and The Void, and I am currently pulling cards from all of them to create my market. Again, depending on the Nemesis, you can try to select these cards to your (slight) advantage, or choose your favorites, or whatever. Within the collection I own, I have several cards I want to put into the market simultaneously and never can play all that I really want. This in itself can be an interesting puzzle.

So - unless you randomize everything (which is an option), there is some preplanning to the game that gives you some control over the outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raw Kyle

Mississippi
msg tools
Thanks everyone for all the info! I guess I didn’t fully understand what a deck builder necessarily means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ksellner wrote:
Thanks everyone for all the info! I guess I didn’t fully understand what a deck builder necessarily means.

There's a bit of confusion between deck building in the LOTR sense and deckbuilding in the Aeon's End sense.

To summarize, building a deck beforehand and then experience a game with it to test it in situ, like in LOTR, is referred to as deck construction. Starting the game with a basic deck of weak cards that let you buy other cards that you can play through deck rotation in the course of the game, like in Aeon's End, is referred to as deckbuilding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raw Kyle

Mississippi
msg tools
Good to know! It sounds like a great game, now I just have to decide if I am going to back the Kickstarter or wait until retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ksellner wrote:
Good to know! It sounds like a great game, now I just have to decide if I am going to back the Kickstarter or wait until retail.

If you back you get the expansion for free whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.