Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest version of the living rules (Oct 2017) stipulates that iron must be spent before the hunt or attack roll, to be able to reverse possible losses. Can anyone advise why this big change from the original rules? I searched but could not find anything.

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the original rules you can spend the iron after the roll. So if you have no losses on your rolls, there is no need to spend the iron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there was some discussion from Phil about making iron more useful in the later game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdarnold wrote:
I think there was some discussion from Phil about making iron more useful in the later game.

How is having to spend before the losses make iron more useful in late game? I dont understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Siegel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Here's what you're looking for: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1909184/confused-about-why-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As indicated above in the link, there are still living rules lines which contradict the requirement to spend the iron first. I personally find Phil’s games hard enough without changing the rules to make them harder (especially solitaire when there are viable solo variants).

Having read these links, I know what is currently “intended” but I’m not sure if I’ll allow myself to use the iron after or not. I’ll have to play first to evaluate how tough the game is. In Neanderthal, I wasn’t happy about how the level 6 elder would keep bouncing between immature to mature to dead to immature to mature to dead by events, making your hand size effectively zero. The ability to mitigate this kind of early loss by expending iron might be a good way to make the early game less intensely annoying. I’ll see how it goes. Always good to know what the designer’s intention is though.

Thanks for posting the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last couple of times I played I didn’t use the iron rule. Instead we used the survivalist variant. It felt like an improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The survivalist variant seems like another variant designed to make the game harder. I can’t remember the last time I wanted a game harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it turns Greenland into an actual game, instead of merely a simulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.