Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

While ordering some import Japanese games, I started thinking about how I used to not pay attention to in-print games unavailable in the US. But, for a few years now I’ve been frequently researching and seeking out such games. It’d be a dream come true to one day go to the Tokyo Game Market or Essen. I’m also deeply into blinging my games.

On the flip-side, I’ve never fallen down the rabbit hole of war games likely due to knowing no one who plays them. Nor have I fallen in the Cult-Of-The-Future. But, I have spent some time in Cult-Of-The-New, and have slowly been climbing my way out of the Solo Games rabbit hole.

I’ve heard that some people will examine every edition of a game released internationally in order to find the one with the best production, and then seek that specific ones to purchase… I find that extraordinary. I imagine there’re many more inconspicuous aspects to this hobby that one could consider a rabbit hole to fall down.

What rabbit holes within this hobby have you fallen down?

What ones are you consciously avoiding or have climbed out from?

What ones are you in there to stay?

The board gaming hobby in general is its own rabbit hole we’re all already down, so that doesn’t count.

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I left Magic: The Gathering I swore I would never fall down another rabbit-hole for a specific game. However, I forgot to tell myself that I should've mention "board Gaming" in general IS a rabbit-hole.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"Oh well,..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb

BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
Splotter is a rabbit hole that I'm thoroughly enjoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So why are solo games a rabbit hole?

Is it just that you buy them "just because they're solo" to support solo gaming as a solo gamer. Or do you really just stopped playing solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
typo360 wrote:

Is it just that you buy them "just because they're solo" to support solo gaming as a solo gamer. Or do you really just stopped playing solo.

There's so much to explore in solo gaming beyond just the massive quantity of games. The solo gaming culture itself is pretty incredible and diverse, and thus (imo) an adventure worth calling a rabbit hole a person can really fall deep in to.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KS and those lovely, lovely, miniatures. Now that I'm retired, I actually have time to paint these things, and I'm pretty happy with my results. Prices for the miniatures are *much* less than retail days, yet the quality of the sculpts have been dramatically improving. Gameplay is fine -- certainly less complex than FFG, which has raised its prices thanks to MAP. Latest batch are some Vast miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set

My thread on PACG showing off my "blinged" out set.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1924471/my-pacg-storage-sol...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:
typo360 wrote:

There's so much to explore in solo gaming beyond just the massive quantity of games. The solo gaming culture itself is pretty incredible and diverse, and thus (imo) an adventure worth calling a rabbit hole a person can really fall deep in to.

~V

Ahh, but alas, sometimes we don't have another option.

Here's a rabbit hole, PnP! When I was trying to not spend money, I found myself need deep in Free PnP that I still haven't been able to play everything. And I'm not even talking about making my own cards and bits, just the page or twoers, roll and writes.

Mini Painting is another!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CCGs and X-Wing Miniatures. The former took me several years to crawl out of and, thankfully, I got out of the latter after about the first year. Great games, all, just not the kind of lifestyle that I can (or want to) keep up with these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

BGG.

Games for Geekgold G4GG
Werewolf on BGG
Deduction games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fallen Down:
Kingdom Death: Monster (and future Kingdom Death titles...)
Miniature Painting

Refuse To Fall Into:
Warhammer

I don’t need a lifestyle game (or another depending on how KDM is thought of). I love painting minis, and I know I would like Warhammer. I just can’t let that happen though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter De Carvalho
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:

While ordering some import Japanese games, I started thinking about how I used to not pay attention to in-print games unavailable in the US. But, for a few years now I’ve been frequently researching and seeking out such games. It’d be a dream come true to one day go to the Tokyo Game Market or Essen. I’m also deeply into blinging my games.

On the flip-side, I’ve never fallen down the rabbit hole of war games likely due to knowing no one who plays them. Nor have I fallen in the Cult-Of-The-Future. But, I have spent some time in Cult-Of-The-New, and have slowly been climbing my way out of the Solo Games rabbit hole.

I’ve heard that some people will examine every edition of a game released internationally in order to find the one with the best production, and then seek that specific ones to purchase… I find that extraordinary. I imagine there’re many more inconspicuous aspects to this hobby that one could consider a rabbit hole to fall down.

The board gaming hobby in general is its own rabbit hole we’re all already down, so that doesn’t count.

~V

Are you sure that's a rabbit? It looks more like a pika
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
budget restrictions have prevented me from falling down any boardgame rabbit holes thankfully, but a few years ago my wife's sister gave us Skylanders Giants starter pack for Xmas, which for obsessive collectors isn't a gift, but an obligation. 2 years and 116 figures later, we said "no more" and have managed to stick to that promise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BitsOWood wrote:

Whether or not it's a pika, I also can't say for sure if a rabbit made that hole, a pika, or something else.

Sometimes ya' just gotta roll with it.

~V

(But, it looks enough like a rabbit for me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Former rabbit hole: chess. In my teens and twenties I was a competitive club player, youth coach, started the high school club etc. That stopped when I moved for my PhD, did not find a new club I liked and work became to time-consuming.

Current rabbit hole: https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/10/boardgamegeek/hot-deals whistle (With my wishlist down to a few games I have hope I can climb out of that one soon.)

Refused to fall into: XCGs (X = any letter)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Saponaro
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Once the fire is linked, souls will flourish anew, and all of this will play out again.
badge
May you find your worth in the waking world.
mbmbmbmbmb
BitsOWood wrote:

Pika your battles mate...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAddMAnn wrote:
BitsOWood wrote:

Pika your battles mate...

Chu that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For us non-native english speakers:
Urban Dictionary wrote:
To go down a never ending tunnel with many twists and turns on the internet, never truly arriving at a final destination, yet just finding more tunnels. Clicking one link, then finding another on that page, then clicking another link on that page, which gives you the idea to search for something, and the process repeats.

Buying games and wargames where Sweden is one part has been my rabbit hole. GMT is the culprit. These are always remain unplayed and hard to get rid off, and I am not a wargamer.
Gustav Adolf the Great: With God and Victorious Arms, Håtunaleken, Pax Baltica, Poltava 1709: Armémuseum Krigsspel Exhibit, Sweden Fights On. Thirty Years War: Europe in Agony, 1618-1648, Lion of the North, Eketorp.
A current rabbit hole is doing statistic data-mining of BGG database, and publishing lists that for thumbs only, a lot of upkeep time spent on these and few thumbs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
East Front WWII.

I have nearly 50 games on the topic now. It is an endlessly fascinating topic for me (I probably have around 100 books on the subject as well). My main focus has been on the initial Barbarossa invasion period June '41 until December '41 although I do enjoy games dealing with the situation at the start of the 1942 campaign season. 1943-45 doesn't interest me as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
I lose all the games... It's fun but!
badge
... as in addicted to going fast... not the powder stuff... "ADICT" was the licence plate on my bike...
mbmbmbmbmb

I managed to get out of the hole that was warhammer 40,000...

Only to fall into this one named boardgaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the extra standees for Gloomhaven so I wouldn't end up having to paint the miniatures, then I went out and spent about $50 on paints and painted them anyway. Six years since I last went down this particular rabbit hole, and 21 years to the time before that.

I customise some games so that a Japanese audience can play. Love Letter (Laputa retheme), Yomi, a few others.

I remake games from scratch when I think I can make a significant improvement on the originals, or the only versions available in English. Examples include "European" Glory to Rome, "Block" Blood Bowl, and "Poker chip" Dominion. These projects are always time-consuming and expensive.

I made a Vassal module once, which ended up taking over 4,000 hours (a rough estimate, I lost track...)

I resolved to avoid all XCGs. Not going down that rabbit hole ever again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wargames in general, I suppose! I had, I thought, got the bulk of my games collection together when I found out I loved solo wargaming, which suddenly opened up the genre in a big way to me.

I'm a terrible completionist. My worse excesses include:
Doomtown: Reloaded (I got all the packs when it died, knowing the final cost), Halo: Fleet Battles (my biggest splurge cost-wise), Memoir '44 (two boxes full), Summoner Wars (everything I think bar promos).

Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn
I intend to hop off the train now. The original artist Fernanda Suarez is no longer working on the game and now seems like my one shot to bow out of it! The new artist looks good but I prefer Fernanda's style.

Magic the Gathering
I walk away from the game in shops, unless I see shiny foil on them and I am under their spell and go up and stroke the package. Then my wife has a look of sheer horror on her face and tells The Completionist to STEP AWAY FROM THE COUNTER.

Warfighter: World War 2
It really appeals to me but I don't trust myself to buy just a few bits, and it gets up my nose a bit how the cards were released in which packs, e.g. you have to buy the ammo box, which I don't want, to get some of the cards.

Advanced Squad Leader
is another I am avoiding. I would like to try it but I would be too keen I think to try and buy everything, scouring ebay for old stuff. There is also the game complexity issue and I wonder if it's a bit too much for me to take on on top of my other games. It might have made more sense if I had gone for ASL earlier instead of some other picks, if I were going to go the ASL route.

Mythic Battles: Pantheon
I think I will pass on too. The reprint is coming and there's a level that looks good value if you like the minis BUT I would likely want the entire lot, which on top of cost, is going to take up some shelf space.

No Retreat
Any set in World War 2. Hopefully it is five in total.

Band of Brothers
I will stick with where it goes. Vietnam? Korea? Sure.

Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire
I wanted one game with Games Workshop minis. This is it.

On the fence

Conflict of Heroes
The system is I believe undergoing a bit of a shakeup and I'm not sure I want to stay on board now. I need more info really. There are going to be updates for the previous couple of games? I already invested £120 in Awakening the Bear and some time learning those rules. And I have Band of Brothers anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just officially jumped into the dead CCG of Overpower today, I'm not looking back. Though I fear I'll lose my soul.

While I don't have much games to trade I have started to love the marketplace of trades

Also Calendale videos. That guy can ramble about paint drying and make it interesting. Plus I can play vicariously through him as old wargames with incomprehensible rules are what I always wanted to play or own but realized it's just not smart for me to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG

Edit: Come to think of it, it's a black hole rather than a rabbit hole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.