United Kingdom
Chepstow
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Fallen Down:
Kingdom Death: Monster (and future Kingdom Death titles...)

This one. I was a late backer and now have a complete pack of first wave expansions coming as well as the chest.

At the moment though, with Gloomhaven, Pandemic Legacy S2 and all the other games staring at me from he shelf, I'm only getting the odd game in solo. I'm considering pulling the plug and bailing out and selling these when they come in. #buyersremorse

I'm also generally deep in the big shiny box kickstarter hole. You'd have thought Massive Darkness, Dark Souls and Green Horde had taught me but no, it looks like I need Nemesis, Jeanne D'Arc and Chronicle X to spell it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad P
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer and lovin' it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've been very cautious to avoid them, however there were some that I fell into headfirst nonetheless.

1. The expansion hole. This one tempts the gullible into believing that every great game is just a starting point. If you REALLY want to unlock that game's potential, you NEED to go out and buy every expansion ever released for it.

2. The hole of Dominion. Sure, this fits neatly into category #1, but can be twice as much trouble. The problem was that every time I tried to crawl out, other people would keep pushing me back in, playing and replaying until my sanity teetered on the edge of lunacy.

3. The dice hole - Coming into this hobby as primarily a strategy gamer, I was clinically diagnosed as being severely allergic to dice, especially when exposed to them in large quantities. However, once I found the proper serum to increase my tolerance to dice, I fell down this hole that was lined with Kingsburg, Castles of Burgundy, Formula D, and Quarriors (gasp!). Dare I say I am cured? Could Sagrada be next??

These are the only holes that have ever really entrapped me. Of course, there have probably been a few other shallow ones that caused me to sprain an ankle, but there is not enough space to list them all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:
What rabbit holes within this hobby have you fallen down?

Thunderstone
I purchased the base game (2nd edition/printing/whatever), 1st exp. (Wraith Of The Elements), 2nd exp. (Doomgate Legion), 3rd exp. (Dragonspire), a few promos, and premium thickness, Mayday sleeves for nearly all of it.

Sleeving
Both standard and premium thickness sleeves from Mayday. Not only did this cover Thunderstone, but many other games too, like Battlestar Galactica, and Ticket To Ride. I was glad to have done it initially.

going to nongaming groups to play "lesser games"
I have nothing against Cards Against Humanity and party games. However, I don't make a trip just for those games. The food has to be decent, and the social aspect of talking to people have to be more prominent. Otherwise, I've found I'm much better off just avoid doing these types of games, and just meet up with people at restaurants where we can focus on talking and chatting, without those games that actually get in the way of the talking and chatting, the real reason I go to those groups.

Veero wrote:
What ones are you consciously avoiding or have climbed out from?

Thunderstone
This was a rabbit hole b/c
1) I ended up playing it not as many times as I'd like
2) I spent a good deal of time and money sleeving
3) talking with Mayday to replace defective sleeves. Also time consuming

I think I still have a few decks that aren't sleeved... 8 or 16 cards, but we can easily let that go. Speaking of which...

Sleeving
I don't play games enough to warrant this. I found myself shocked to not have bothered sleeving Glory To Rome... an OOP game that gets played a lot! wow

Deck Building Games
Dealing with 200 or even 700 cards isn't that bad. Once it gets to 1,000 to 3,000 cards... THEN it gets cumbersome. I am of the opinion that all DBG should also come with a digital version

Especially Dominion
I enjoyed it and still do. When I heard from via the designer diary that there were ALREADY 7 expansions planned out (when it was just base game back in 2007), I had grand visions and plans of getting all of them, and sleeving them with premium thickness sleeves. But even early on, I noticed that Dominion was such a popular game that I didn't need to buy it. I could always just play someone else's copy. I only got the base game for me own to introduce to a group of nongamers that wouldn't otherwise attend gaming events where others already had it. VERY DAMN GLAD I didn't delve more into this, as it could've been really cumbersome. Heck, I got a preview of that with Thunderstone.

CCGs
I'm sure they're fun, but the money was a bit of a turnoff. I consciously decided we'll stick with "regular bg" since time was also a factor too

RPGs
I've been invited to several RPGs, but after playing vg RPGs... "paper and pen" RPGs just didn't seem to have an appeal that would hold me. I like having visuals. They don't have to be painted, pewter miniatures, but in extreme cases, having no board, no traditional mechanics, and going about the game in the fashion of saying outloud "Let's try (X)" just wasn't my cup of tea.

That said, I've done games that were "RPG-like", such as D&D the board game (Castle Ravenloft and Ashlorden), a one-shot RPG that lasted only over an hour, and a condensed D&D scenario that lasted an hour as well.

Wargames
Just not my cup of tea. I wouldn't mind playing 1 or 2 of them, but... I seem to be "married" to "regular bg"

Android Netrunner
Seemed fascinating. However, at the time, the only place I could get this played was a FLGS that was 1 hour away.

X-Wings Minis
There's a local group that does this, but it did put me off how one of them said "once you buy one of them, you're going to want to buy all of them", and another vet who mentioned he ended up dropping $1,000 into that. Ultimately, I ended up taking a class that was on that same game night, so that's moot.

Veero wrote:
What ones are you in there to stay?

"the digital trifecta"
--Race for The Galaxy on PC
Keldon's AI.. the original that got released last decade. The first 3 expansions with Goals and Takeovers

--Ascension for iOS
The first 10 expansions with promos

--Dominion for Android
Androminion. All expansions as of late

Accessories
I purchased a card rack which ended up not only being useful for board gaming, but it also doubles up as a phone and tablet stand too cool

https://uberstax.com/

Saw someone at a con use this as a dice tray. In general, it's used to hold keys, cellphones, and otherwise a general organizer...

spending hundreds of dollars to attend bg cons
Factoring in gas, hotel, badges, good, parking... unfortunately, that's how much each trip costs

threads like this
Don't get me wrong... I enjoyed posting my reply. However, I did notice I was supposed to make lunch half an hour ago, and I'm starving!

MWChapel wrote:

What rabbit holes within this hobby have you fallen down?

BGG.

Fun fact... I stopped donating to BGG precisely because of this! wowshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
I love painting minis, and I know I would like Warhammer.

It's a shame Warhammer doesn't exist any more then... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stockdale
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
I sporadically review games...
badge
... It's a running kidney... Kidneys are kind of my profession...
mbmbmbmbmb
WilbertK wrote:
Splotter is a rabbit hole that I'm thoroughly enjoying.

Hey me too! And trying to piece together all of their older games too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fire and Ice and Fano330-R-Morris dropped me into a romp through Wikipedia that occupied my free time for days. I wish I would have thought to chart out the windy path I followed. I love it when that happens. I took trips like that over Freedom: The Underground Railroad, too, but in the library.

I've been in and out of RPG rabbit holes (Moldvay!), but not Bunnies & Burrows yet.

I avoid the holes that essentially come with another hobby, like chasing rares, painting, or paper crafting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
3D printing for my games. First it was printing existing designs. Then it was tweaking designs. Now it's making my own designs. I've cut back on buying games because I want to get through all the printing for my existing games. I also want another printer...or three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.