Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I initially thought I should post this question in the Scoundrels forum but felt it might be more appropriate here:
I am mulling over introducing a worker placement game to the casual gaming group I typically play with (family members plus two friends). We've typically played party games with the occasional Great Dalmuti or 'Survive: Escape from Atlantis' thrown into the mix. I'm really intrigued by the idea of trying out LoW with them, and I gather it's necessary to pick up the Scoundrels expansion to do so. But I am concerned about the length and enjoyment value of the game at this player count.

So a few hopefully straightforward questions:
- Does the expansion allow the BASE GAME to be played with six?
- If so, how long does such a game typically take to play?
- And if so, how does the enjoyment value of the base game with six players compare to playing with a fewer player count?
- Last, if one must play with at least one of the player modules (Undermountain or Scoundrels) at this player count, would the added complexity make LoW a poor choice to introduce to my group accustomed to playing the games I've mentioned above?

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Scoundrel rules say you need to use at least one Scoundrels module to play with 6. If you play with just the Undermountain module, that just adds more buildings, so it's pretty straight forward. I've never played it with 6, but I imagine it could be done in 90 minutes.

It's a brilliant gateway worker placement game and I've never played with anyone that didn't love it. Like I said, the Undermountain expansion is just more of the same, to give 6 players more things to do, so it is pretty easy to assimilate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Six is probably too many...especially for lots of casual gamers. It will take way too long (at least 2+ hours). I'd personally look for another game that handles six better/quicker.

If time isn't an issue though, I'd say go for it. But just be aware that it will be a very long game.

Awesome game at lower counts though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Introducing these to folks to worker placement is awesome! I love that mechanism.

To ensure they have a quality time don't be one of the players, be the game coach and let them play while you help teach it. Let them enjoy the game as it was meant to be played/designed (max at 5 players). You won't be distracted by your own playing of the game & you won't have to have make-shift pieces and stretch the game beyond it's limits.

The enjoyment for you will be that you have taught one of your favorite games to others.

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tishim
United States
Plover
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played with 6 many times and it plays great at that player count. To answer your questions, the expansion will let you play the base game with 6. Our games at that count are around 2-2.5 hours. The game plays just as good with 6 as it does with 4 but with a longer play time. Best part about Scoundrels is that it doesn't over complicate the game at all and we never play without the corruption aspect now. I think you will enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Shaw
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Too many games, too little time!
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, LoW is an excellent choice as an introduction to worker placement. However, I would echo the comments about it running long when played with six. I would suggest trying it with 3 or 4 first and, if they like it, then ramp it up to 6.

Another negative aspect for me at high player counts is the amplification of “take that” effects. When you only have 2 actions per round, effectively losing an action due to a Mandatory Quest or losing resources due to an Intrigue card have a much greater impact on the game. Of course, depending on the players, that could be seen to be a positive rather than a negative!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think length would be the biggest issue. The game is new to them, they're casual gamers and there's six of them, so you're likely looking at a playtime of 2.5 to 3 hours.

If you want to go ahead and try it, I'd suggest to only play 6 instead of 8 rounds. At least for the first time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When introducing casual gamers to LOW, I'd recommend a game of 4 or fewer players because it will have less downtime and be more forgiving to newby mistakes. A game of 6 players first up might turn them off the game if they have a poor experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all for the super quick and thorough advice.
At that length of playing time, I think I'd
limit bringing the game out to those occasions when
it's just four of us. I think i'd have a very hard
time getting anyone in this group to play anything that
takes more than an hour or slightly longer. Will have to seek out something else that scratches the non-party game itch but I guess that's best left to a different thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first
-non-party,
-thirty minute
-casual gamer
-six player
great games I can think of are For Sale and Sushi Go Party!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smarano wrote:
Thanks to all for the super quick and thorough advice.
At that length of playing time, I think I'd
limit bringing the game out to those occasions when
it's just four of us. I think i'd have a very hard
time getting anyone in this group to play anything that
takes more than an hour or slightly longer. Will have to seek out something else that scratches the non-party game itch but I guess that's best left to a different thread...

I think this is a good idea to start. I agree with those in the thread who think the game will run overly long at 6 players, especially if you are the only one who has played the game before. LoW is not a complex game to pick up, really, but any time a person is exposed to a new game it seems it may take them a play or two of it to grok it. Even at 4 players, the first game is likely to go beyond an hour, possibly even two, depending on your group.

Once all your players have had a chance to play the game, though, and assuming they enjoy it, there's no reason not to go for the 6 player game! Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tod_13 wrote:
The first
-non-party,
-thirty minute
-casual gamer
-six player

Does not compute...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played with 6, with more than casual gamers, and I have to say that the down time between turns gets to be a bit too much, even for non-casual gamers. Personally I think 2 hours is on the light side with most games with this many people taking closer to the 2.5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
COMaestro wrote:
tod_13 wrote:
The first
-non-party,
-thirty minute
-casual gamer
-six player

Does not compute...

How about 7 Wonders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tod_13 wrote:
COMaestro wrote:
tod_13 wrote:
The first
-non-party,
-thirty minute
-casual gamer
-six player

Does not compute...

How about 7 Wonders

I'll allow it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Palmer
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just played 6 players and Hated it. 2.5 hour game with way way to much Take That.

Adding a combo of quest that allows intrigue to be drawn and played after another intrigue was played. Building with play 3 intrigue lead to constant playing of 6 cards by one player.

Not fun.

3 or 4 player I enjoy.

I might just trade my copy off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We only ever play this with 6 players and we have found that, with experienced players, a game takes about 90 minutes to complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tod_13 wrote:
COMaestro wrote:
tod_13 wrote:
The first
-non-party,
-thirty minute
-casual gamer
-six player

Does not compute...

How about 7 Wonders

And Medieval Academy, which which also has a drafting mechanic, is playable with six participants, and which we find to be significantly more enjoyable than the above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.