Charterstone» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question involving an early spoiler rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren P
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey guys, I'm sure this has been answered in another thread, but with all the spoiler control it's hard to use the search function to find what I'm looking for. My group ran into a strange situation, and I would like some input from other players. I greatly appreciate it!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
As my group was playing games 7 and 8, most of us had a Robot or two. We had also introduced Treasure into the game, which has changed the way we all look at the Advancement cards, specifically when there are no cards that are super beneficial. We have been playing our games knowing that the Benefit of a building isn't mandatory (Reputation, for instance), but then we came to a situation with a player not wanting to collect an Advancement card from her Robot as she didn't want the next player to have a chance to pick up a Treasure with his Robot (there was currently nothing of value on the Advancement Mat on her turn). We decided that she was able to ignore the Robot Benefit and therefore not take an Advancement Card. To me, this had a detrimental effect on the rest of our games (up to Game 9), as people were ignoring the Advancement cards unless they were Treasure, which lead to the same 5 cards being out for most of a game. Should we allow this Robot Benefit ignoring to persist into future games, or say that it is mandatory to take an Advancement Card every time you use the Robot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darren: Thanks for your question. By the rules, you all played correctly. I must admit I didn't anticipate people playing the way your group is playing, though. So if this rule is hindering the group's ability to have fun, I invite you to use your propose house rule for the benefit of the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren P
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you so much Jamey! I really appreciate the time and effort you put in responding to so many questions and so quickly! I really love the Advancement Cards, and I feel like the more they rotate the more the game benefits, so I think I may fall back on that house rule.

You have built an absolutely amazing game! Every time we play we are all bewildered by the amount of planning and forethought that must have went into it. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonnie Doiron
Canada
London
Ontario (ON)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I get nobody wants to set the other person up for better cards, collecting those advancement cards that you find 'less useful' can actually be useful as there are places to spend the card to get rewards too. IE: Cloud Port, also a few buildings that get unlocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren P
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's true; you definitely make a good point, Bonnie. The only problem is that we are far enough along now that there are numerous other ways of getting VP, primarily through the building that:

grants 5 VP for 4 Coins (I'm pretty sure, although it may be 4VP for 4 Coins).

You're right though, and maybe I should be capitalizing on those extra VP through Advancement acquisition.

Those Scrolls are just so good though! Granting the next player the ability to ignore the building cost of an action in his/her Charter can lead to some crazy turns with the high-level Buildings that are now in play (opening a Crate for free, for instance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hendy
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a building that we placed around game 6, so you might have available, that would help with this situation... I don't know the name off the top of my head I'm afraid, and I'll spoiler tag it to be safe...

The building allows you to discard all the cards on the advancement mat,
replace them all and then take one of the new cards. Seems perfect for your group as a hail mary when there's nothing down to help right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kraack
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DSRock wrote:
Thank you so much Jamey! I really appreciate the time and effort you put in responding to so many questions and so quickly! I really love the Advancement Cards, and I feel like the more they rotate the more the game benefits, so I think I may fall back on that house rule.

You have built an absolutely amazing game! Every time we play we are all bewildered by the amount of planning and forethought that must have went into it. Thanks again!

Wouldn't that house rule just encourage people to not use robots at all (at least in the situation you've described)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren P
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's true, Benjamin, that building will help alleviate this situation. It's in an inactive charter, so I have definitely overlooked it!

Michael, you are correct that it the rule would most likely result in people not purchasing/using the Robots.

After talking it over with my group we agree that we will keep playing with the original rules in place, and allow the Robot user the choice of whether to take an Advancement Card. That building Benjamin mentioned will come in handy, for sure! I am making a mental note to utilize that one more.

Thank you all for your input and assistance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game "that" building came out was the second game guests were out (3 player, guests are bit unbalanced) I self bumped a ton on it to load up on guests. Other players didn't get it until income hit. Was a one trick pony once everyone saw it in effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.