Moray Grant
United Kingdom
Dyce
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I've just received the core box of Heroes of Normandie thorough a trade. While waiting for it to arrive I had a nosy around what support was out there for it. Quite a great deal it would appear, but wow, I wish the publisher had a tidier website.

I came across the advertisement for Heroes of Black Reach for which I am excited for and now have a chance to try out the system before committing to that.

I also have the revised rules v1.2b

One other thing I did notice though is that Devils Pigs have a bundle on sale just now for the stand alone punch boards. For 16 euros plus post I can get:

Canadian Inf Platoon (Alt)
US Rangers
US rifle Platoon
Wittmann’s Tigers
SS-Panzergrenadier
Extra terrain Set 2
The fortified farm
British Weapon Platoon (Alt)
Extra Units US&GE

This seems like a great deal but as I am brand new to the system I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a great price assuming the postage does not run too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
That’s awesome clearance-level price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aberdonian wrote:
I've just received the core box of Heroes of Normandie thorough a trade. While waiting for it to arrive I had a nosy around what support was out there for it. Quite a great deal it would appear, but wow, I wish the publisher had a tidier website.

I came across the advertisement for Heroes of Black Reach for which I am excited for and now have a chance to try out the system before committing to that.

I would recommend you grab the "Unofficial Manual Rewrite" from the files section here. The early manuals are often confusing for first time players and the translation was not the best.

That will get you started. Keep in mind that the Scenario book in the core box is really there to introduce the mechanics of the game in a few logical steps, so the early scenarios are not very interesting, but worth running through once.

There is a newer version (2.0) of the rules coming out. The updates are being worked on but I have no info on when they will be available for download[1]. I bring this up mainly because if the v1.2b rulebook gives you pause about the game, then take a look at the Heroes of Black Reach rules, which are available on DPG's website. Those are an example of the quality of the newer rules text.[2] Since you are interested in HoBR anyway, you can take a look at the rulebook now.

Aberdonian wrote:
One other thing I did notice though is that Devils Pigs have a bundle on sale just now for the stand alone punch boards. For 16 euros plus post I can get:

US Rangers
US rifle Platoon
Wittmann’s Tigers
SS-Panzergrenadier
Extra terrain Set 2
The fortified farm
Extra Units US&GE

You might find the cost of shipping a bit startling, the postal costs out of France are pretty high, but it is a great deal on a large set of boards.

None of those are "must have" expansions, although most do bring some different forces for your armies.

Oh, and if you do want the whole system then grab them while you can. I don't mean to throw you into the deep end, but those boards are all out of print. The single-board form factor proved not very popular with retailers, so DPG is reformatting their expansions into blister packs with multiple boards. So all the old single-board expansions will never be reprinted. Once they are gone they are gone.

The forces on those older board may or may not reappear. There was a single-board expansions featuring Lord Lovat that has made the transition into a pack that not only has the forces, but some special "Commando Training" cards that give the commandos some unique options in the game.

Having said all that, I feel I will say again that none of those boards are "must have" -- the Rangers and SS are elite troops are the most valuable and give you some interesting options.

The UK forces are interesting if you plan on picking up the 3rd faction, but those are in flux for the moment as the army boxes are also out of print, and the UK Army box has the Action cards, order tokens, and bulk of the troops for the Commonwealth forces.

I think there are pictures of most of the expansion boards available here so take a look and get an idea of what you get in the expansions. Many of the downloadable scenarios from DPG's website use the expansions, but you can substitute other forces in most cases so they are really not that critical.

If you are a completionist, then they are nice to have I suppose

[1] Updates are starting to come out on their website, so this is not just "on the to-do list" but is actively being worked on. Still no idea when the rules and scenario books will be finished, though.
[2] In fact, most mechanics are the same between HoBR and HoN v2.0, but there are some differences between the mechanisms in v1.x and the v2.0 rules, so don't mix and match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Grant
United Kingdom
Dyce
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the responses

Quote:
You might find the cost of shipping a bit startling, the postal costs out of France are pretty high, but it is a great deal on a large set of boards.

I'm fortunate in that I am in the UK so shipping only comes in at 6.50 euros.

Looking at it I won't be able to use the two commonwealth troop boards but everything else I think works. Is the rifle platoon board a repeat or unique? I can see the Lt name is different but the options look similar at first glan

Thanks for the directions on the rules. I am very impressed with what's in the core box. Many games of this type give you just enough to scratch the surface but first look here this feels like I have options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Tolman
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moray, welcome to HoN. The later expansions in the base game are actually interesting, but the first few are mostly just rules run throughs and practice. You may want to grab the scenario packs if those interest you - if you get the clearance boards and you get Pegasus Bridge, you would be able to create your own battles using Commonwealth troops, if you wanted to with some degree of feasibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aberdonian wrote:
Looking at it I won't be able to use the two commonwealth troop boards but everything else I think works. Is the rifle platoon board a repeat or unique? I can see the Lt name is different but the options look similar at first glan

Lt. Names are not always helpful

The Alt Platoon comes with:
4th Inf. Div. 12th Inf Regiment Recruitment tile
w/Recon Team, Fire Team, Support Team
There are two large recruitment options with 3 choices to fill them:
Rifle Squad (Recon, Fire, Support)
Ambush Squad (Recon, Recon, Bazooka)
Support Squad (Support, Support, .30 Cal)

The board gives you a small recruitment option (Generic US so usable by any Regiment) for a Halftrack, which is not bad. Halftracks can fire on the move, but fall fairly easy to German units. They can also have a carry capacity of 7, which can carry the Lt, the Fire Team, the Support Team, and one other 2-wound unit or 2 1-wound units. That can get you into an objective and maybe live long enough to suppress the enemy while you unload and get into cover

Also a decent mix of ambush units (recon, bazooka) that can sneak, so decent scouts and infiltrators.

It is about half-way between the other two Regiments you get in the Core box.

The 4th Div; 8th Reg. is standard infantry. Comes with Lt, Recon, Fire, and Support squads
You have the same 2 large slots and choice of:
Bazooka Squad (Rife, Support, Bazooka)
.30 Cal Squad (Fire, Support, .30 cal)
Not much sneaky in there, only a couple of recon teams.

The 4th Div; 22nd Reg. is mobile infantry, with options for two halftracks. It is a bit stronger on heavy weapons and lighter on Recon. Comes with Lt, Fire, Support and .30 cal teams
Again, two large slots and choice of:
Mechanized (2 halftracks, enough to carry the entire Regiment)
Bazooka Squad (Fire, Support, Bazooka)

So the Alt Platoon is a bit sneakier than either of the main box regiments but with a bit of mobility option thrown in. Not too bad. The Support squad with 2x Support Team and a .30 Cal gives you some nice Suppressive fire.

The pros and cons of infiltration units is left as an exercise for the reader
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fat Amy
msg tools
Nostradunwhich wrote:
[q="Aberdonian"]The UK forces are interesting if you plan on picking up the 3rd faction, but those are in flux for the moment as the army boxes are also out of print, and the UK Army box has the Action cards, order tokens, and bulk of the troops for the Commonwealth forces.

The army boxes are available on the Devil Pig's website, and they are actually on sale at 25% discount at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aberdonian wrote:
Hi,

US Rangers
US rifle Platoon
Wittmann’s Tigers
SS-Panzergrenadier
Extra terrain Set 2
The fortified farm
Extra Units US&GE

I know it's a bit late to chime in, but that is a great bundle at an extremely low price -- an amazing deal for someone who is just starting out. True, they will mainly be useful for when you and your opponent do point-build armies, but there are some really good units in there. Wittmann should not be missed, that's one of the strongest (some would say broken) sets for HoN. The Extra Units board gets you some really cool vehicles, including some with heavy flamers, that have generic tags so they can be added to nearly any unit. The Rangers are OK on their own, but get much better if you later pick up the Miller's Rangers board. The rest are just OK; none of them are true duplicates of anything else, and Devil Pig has said all of these boards are now out of print. So some of these may come back in a different format in the future (possibly as part of a boxed set), but others may never come back at all. (I would guess Wittmann will return in a toned down or more expensive version at the very least.)

As for the Canadian and British boards, they're really only useful if you pick up the Commonwealth Army Box, which seems like it's still reasonably available right now, but which will also not be reprinted by Devil Pig. I like the Commonwealth set for 4-player games, since you get a second set of wooden tokens & dice, and the units have a much different flavor (er, flavour). The Brits have some of the strongest armor (er, armour!) among the Allies. Being in Britain yourself, perhaps you might want to make the effort of tracking one down? ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.