Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph LoPresto
United States
Lansing
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello, I just purchased a dice tray.

Now, I want to stain it and apply a finish as well to protect it. I mainly got the tray because after years of gaming I decided to get metal dice, and of course don't want them damaging tables or anything. It is a lighter wood than I would of liked as well.

Now, I don't know the first thing about stains or finishes. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm sure in time metal dice will damage the tray, but it meant for that. I figure a finish will just give it some extra years and maybe I can apply/touch it up every year or so until it needs to be retired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Barr

Ohio
msg tools
badge
I Am Ozymandias, King of Kings. Look on My Works, Ye Mighty, And Despair!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a clear, high gloss urethane would probably work best. I would imagine you could get as little as a pint at your local hardware for $5-7 store to tackle the job. The tray might benefit from a little painting first if you felt brave enough or knew someone with artistic skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If that's already painted, then only a solid stain will work, and even with that you might not get as good a look as sanding it completely and then staining with a semi-transparent stain. Problem with solid stain is you won't get the wood grain out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Radtke
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can simply brush a few coats (3 at least) of polyurethane, at my shop we use General Finishes High Performance. It’ll make the graphic pop and protect the wood. You could use a light stain if you want a richer finish. Hit up a good, professional, paint store (no Home Depot) If you want to stain the wood. They’ll show you samples and make good recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.