Subject: Basic deck builder, what do you mean? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maciej Teległow
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read reviews and comments about this game and again and again i read it is basic deck builder or good entry to deckbuilders.
I do not understand, Please make it clear to me.
I play deck builders since Dominion. I played a lot of Thunderstone, Ascension, Legendary Marvel, Star Realms, El Alamein, Dark Gothic plus some other like Fantastiqa. I like Trains too. I played Few Acres of snow.
I can not say which of them is so more basic then other.
Thunderstone may seem less basic then Ascension but Ascension has decision difficulties in other areas then T. or Legendary.
I would even say that Star Realms is maybe basic mechanic wise but not decision wise as ballance between colours is so great.
So is HB basic which means there is no interesting decisions to be made according to deck building and consequences of your buys or what?
That there are not a lot of different resources?
I am asking about full 7 lvl game.

Aditional question: How long it takes at 6 and 7 lvl ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the “basic” that people are talking about comes from the fact that the first few games are really stripped-down, so that people who have never played a deck builder game before have a very easy way to learn the basics when they first open up the box.

Once you get up to games 6 and 7, it’s as deep and complex as nearly any other deck building game out there.

Game 7 can typically last 60-90 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
60-90 is the average, sure. Depending on number of players and randomization in available cards and villains, game 7 can easily be 2+ hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Even at Game 7, I usually don't feel like there is a whole lot of super complex strategy in building your deck in HP compared to some other deckbuilders.
Sure, there is some general trends like "Hermione should buy alot of spells" or "Ron should get Allies to power his Bertie Botts Beans", but not a whole lot of complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Teległow
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How would you compare it to Ascension, Star Realms or Thunderstone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MacTele wrote:
How would you compare it to Ascension, Star Realms or Thunderstone?

I've never played Thunderstone, but HP is more like Star Realms than Ascension. Like Star Realms there is a center market that contain attack and money cards. Unlike Star Realms this is cooperative and the enemy is more or less a very basic AI. HP lacks Ascension's constructs or Star Realms bases, and you can't build combos the way you can in either of those games (there are strategies in Ascension for never-ending turns) so compared to those, or even Dominion, there is very little strategy to deck building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Teległow
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No added value cause of synergies?
No focusing on some kind effect to get better results per turn?
No more cards per turn or deck thining?
No combos of two or three kinds of cards?
Just more powerfull cards on its own?
Even in game 6 or 7?
Or something new to consider cause of villains, places and coop naturę of The game?
It sound like there is no real matter to what i choose to buy apart from do i need more money or attack?
What i miss. This game is rated over 7,5 and even taking theme into consideration i still feel it is something i can not see.
What makes it so fun, then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Rallyman: GT on Kickstarter
badge
Rallyman: GT on Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
By Game 7, there a few moving parts going on. Each character has an ability, and you get your choice of second ability to add (there are clear synergies for most character/proficiency combinations, but you can pick randomly for more challenge). There are the kinds of combos you would expect of a Dominion-style deckbuilder, though there's no deck thinning in the base game. Additionally, there are dice whose use has to be decided every time between collecting resources or neutralizing one of the three ways the game can attack the players.

The coop nature of the game is where Hogwarts Battle sets itself apart from Star Realms and others. In addition to simply deciding if you should buy a card or leave it for another player (or buy a suboptimal card to make more space in the market), many times you'll have to decide if it's better to keep resources for yourself or share them, or decide with whom they should best be shared. Thematically, it carries the idea of the heroes always helping each other to defeat Voldemort together.

That's the fun for me, anyway. It feels like Lord of the Rings, except you're working together to become more capable rather than sacrificing for each other (both thematically appropriate).

Edit: And our Game 7s are typically 90-120 mins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stanford
United Kingdom
Baildon
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MacTele wrote:
No added value cause of synergies?
No focusing on some kind effect to get better results per turn?
No more cards per turn or deck thining?
No combos of two or three kinds of cards?
Just more powerfull cards on its own?
Even in game 6 or 7?
Or something new to consider cause of villains, places and coop naturę of The game?
It sound like there is no real matter to what i choose to buy apart from do i need more money or attack?
What i miss. This game is rated over 7,5 and even taking theme into consideration i still feel it is something i can not see.
What makes it so fun, then?

There is some of everything you suggest above.
For example, there are a number of cards that have additional effects if you've played other cards of a particular type during your turn. Plus each hero develops more powerful "passive" abilities as you progress from game 1 to game 7.
There are also many cards that (sometimes in combination with another effect) allow for additional card draws - despite having a hand size of 5, I've played 13 cards in a single turn before.
There isn't any deck thinning in the base game, which I feel is the biggest flaw in the game, but there are a few cards that allow you to do so in the expansion
The villains and
Spoiler (click to reveal)
horcruxes/encounters
certainly add a different element to the game, as those are providing the constant (but variable through the game) barrier to victory, with each one having it's own "attack" on the players each turn, and reward for defeating, requiring careful balancing of who/what to deal with.
The co-op nature definitely makes a difference, and there is a definite amount of strategy involved in trying to balance building your own deck optimally while also helping the other players do the same. There are also many many cards which have positive effects on some or all of the other heroes, and even the 2 heroes (including the expansion) that lend themselves best to a support role can end up being very productive in terms of making progress on objectives with a support-focused deck.

So yes, there is a lot more to it when deciding what to buy than whether it'll give you more money or attack, and in fact very few cards outside of the starting cards only give one or the other. Other effects include card draws, health restoration, location management, etc. There's even one card that prevents a villain's ability from firing for an entire round, which can be an absolute lifesaver in some circumstances.

To sum up, this actually has some of the best variety of decision-making of any deck builder I've played, and in some ways is one of the most difficult - I'm running on about a 50% win record - so it won't go stale any time soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Teległow
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks
I will get the game today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.