BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Help! I can't decide and need some opinions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey everyone.

It's time to add a little more variety into my collection and I've singled out some games but have a few options, can anybody give me some opinions or other ideas. How do these games play, are these easy to learn, fun, good value etc?

A deeper more thematic game:

Recently a friend got the Warhammer update on hero quest and we've been enjoying it but wanted more of a strategic element and less dice rolling.

Soooo: Descent or Mansions of Madness???

Also looking to up my 2 player strategy/fast play game count.

Soooo: Jaipur or Splendor (splendor has the benefit of playing up to 4)

Finally something totally different. Games that have caught my eye. Lords of Waterdeep, Downforce, Betrayal at House on the Hill.

I've got a mixed group of gaming friends. Some quite casual who are really into tings like Pandemic, Catan, Ticket to Ride, Sushi Go etc. Some who are a bit more serious and happy with things like Dead of Winter. And a few who don't mind more of the swords and sorcery side with thematic games such as Elritch horror, Warhammer and Game of Thrones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
CO
flag msg tools
Descent is more strategic than Mansions of Madness. But MoM is more immersive, I feel. MoM needs an app, and Descent does, too, if you don't have an Overlord player.

For Jaipur/Splendor, Jaipur feels like a quicker game (Splendor can invoke AP), but maybe Century: Spice Road.

I haven't played Downforce, but Lords of Waterdeep is a classic. Betrayal is fun if no one cares about a balanced game. You really just enjoy it for the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Which do you think is easier to learn and people would want to play again, MoM or Descent?

What kind of games does Lords of Waterdeep compare to? Everybody says its a classic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
CO
flag msg tools
Mansions of Madness is easier to learn. As far as which people prefer to play, it depends on theme. Descent is standard fantasy dungeon crawl. Mansions is standard Lovecraft. But Mansions is easier to get into. Cost might come into play, too.

And just to be clear, we're talking about the second edition of both of these games, not the original.

Lords of Waterdeep is worker placement. Very similar to Champions of Midgard, which many say is a better version of Waterdeep (although it adds dice). Stone Age is another worker placement that you may be familiar with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Reynolds
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as 2p games - I would recommend Jaipur over Splendor. Neither Splendor or Century Spice Road scale well to two players.
The 2p games I would really push you toward though are Targi, Trambahn, or Grand Austria Hotel if you want something with a little more meat to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've never heard of any of those, I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the recommendations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
Small tortoiseshell butterfly
mbmbmbmbmb
As a 2 player game I'd say that Jaipur is far better and more engaging than Splendor. It has a lot more player interaction where you have to be aware of what opportunities you open up or remove for your opponent.

Lords of Waterdeep is a solid, straightforward worker placement with a really unobtrusive theme. If you like it, the expansion Scoundrels of Skullport introduces a corruption mechanism that takes it a step up in complexity.

EDIT: Also Lost Cities is a quick 2 player classic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite worker placement game (a la LoW) has to be Viticulture - the fact that it scales from 1 to 6 players and has great thematic content has really drawn me to this game like a moth to a flame!

+1 Century: Spice Road for longevity, but if you have a mix of players (casual vs more seasoned) then Splendor will probably have the bigger initial appeal

If you need a definitive 2 player game, then Hive, 7 Wonders Duel and Patchwork are all pretty good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Seven Wonders Duel. If you are truly looking for a two player game, that is a terrific one. I play it with a wide variety of folks and all love it.

Have you considered Imperial Assault. It is a Star Wars reimplementation of Descent. I chose that over Descent because I prefer the theme. I only have two games out of 90+ in my collection rated ten, and it is one of them. Sooo fun! It now has an app, it also has a skirmish version for two players. It has an EPIC camapaign. All around great game.

Them's my thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone!

I already have Hive and Patchwork. In the end I purchased Jaipur and I'm hoping to get my first play sometime this week.

I did consider Imperial Assault and I love Star Wars but I think in the end I prefer the look of Descent as you're not influenced by the movies in terms of imagining the theme. Plus the person I play most with likes Warhammer, LoR, GoT etc.

Think I'll get a copy after payday as my local games shop has it for around £55.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.