United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
I aim to misbehave
badge
Go ahead... click!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Retiring a character does a bad number to the party, for one you loose a high character, you also loose a ton off loot and money. Yes money and loot is not shared, but it does benefit the party as a whole. Suddenly a 5+ level character gets a lowly 3rd level newbie to drag around. Xp is not exponential on where a level transition for example 5 to 6 will be two levels of 3 to 5. And most certainly the high level character will get more xp, because cards are more powerful. So, why-oh-my should you retire your character.

Let me be specific: my wife and I started with Craigheart and Spellweiver, my Spellweiver retired and opened the Tribal guy. So, I jumped into the Tribal character. I feel like the "tortilla of the top" (Mexican reference: nobody likes the tortilla on the top because it is the one that is more exposed and most certainly touched by everybody). I see no rubber band effect. I do certainly pull my weight, but the Craigheart have been MVP since my retirement. And I don't have money to buy anything, my wife being gracious enough gave me some spare stuff she was not using (which I know is against the rules but hey.. ). From her side, she said: "Why would I retire my perfect 6 level Craigheart, I have too much loot and money, hell with it :O) ).

So, after my obvious rant, is this a breaking part of the game (meaning that there is no real incentive to retire, but curiosity for other classes). Have you had similar experience? How did you address it?

BAG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j ribs
msg tools
mb
Everytime you retire a character, your next character will be stronger with the new additional perk you get.

There will always be a dip in what you can do as you learn a new character. You will catch up and probably end up liking the new class more than your previous class.

Retirement is a very big part of the game. It keeps the game changing so you don't get stuck doing the same thing over and over.

Yeah its sad to see the class you worked hard on go, but now you get to do the same with the next guy.

Also remember new characters start out with a certain amount of gold. Read the rulebook for that number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you started at level 3 you would have 3 perks plus 60 gold.

Also Craigheart!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Manning
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you retire you get a perk for your new character, which is incentive enough for me. Other than that the game balances with the scenario difficulty. If your level drops so do the monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
The mechanic stops stagnation, and forces parties to rethink their strategy.

Also, baddies only go up to Level 7, so eventually you'll be outpacing your enemies.

Then there is prosperity, you'll gain access to better equipment, and add new events to the decks (which unlock more areas),

Finally, there is the perk system. That one additional perk may not seem like much but optimizing your modifier deck is huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Jasnis wrote:
And most certainly the high level character will get more xp, because cards are more powerful.

This is incorrect. The power and level of cards have no bearing on the XP that the character earns. Higher level cards don't dole out more XP per use than lower level cards. You don't get XP for killing things, only for card use and that's constant. Also, the standard XP granted at the end of the scenario is based on the difficulty, not directly on character level.

It's far more common for imbalance in XP to be based on class, not on level. Some classes have an easier time of it because of their card mix. But that should be no barrier to retirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
If you started at level 3 you would have 3 perks plus 60 gold.

And that's only for your first new character after retirement. Second one will have even more perks to start off with. Considering you gain more damage from perks than you do from the one card you get from leveling up, and because enemies scale with your level, I think it's even more important to have perks than to have XP.

mustardayonnaiz wrote:
Also Craigheart!!!

We need to start up a collection jar every time "Craigheart" comes up. The Great Oak could use some more gold...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
kgk4569 wrote:
Also, baddies only go up to Level 7, so eventually you'll be outpacing your enemies.
Enemies don't have a "level". A party of level 9 characters at normal difficulty would face a scenario level of 5.

As for the topic at hand, keeping things fresh and, for game balance, introducing a "gold sink" or "item sink" are good enough reasons. And since scenarios scale to your level, you're never too underpowered, even with a low-level character.

Which is something I find kind of ironic, given that I typically loathe enemies scaling their level to the player in videogames, but here it works great and I love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kgk4569 wrote:

Unless you are playing with the "open information" variant, increasing their level by 1 and playing on Very Hard difficulty (plus 2), monster level 7 should be sufficient. This is because half average character level can be no more than 4.5, rounded up to 5.

In response to the OP, I find a little hiccup when starting a new character because you are just learning how they work, you have very little equipment and you are lower level. But as others have noted, the greatest indicator of character power relative to enemies is not level but number of perks, quality of equipment and enhancements. This is because enemies scale to your level but not to any of those other things. And since the more characters you retire the more perks and prosperity you get (giving access to more equipment), there is certainly some incentive to do so. For me, however, the greatest incentives are revealing new content and a change of pace. After 12-15 scenarios with the same character I find I am ready for something new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the scenario level lften decreases when a new lower-level character replaces a previous high-level character.

Personally, I absolutely love exploring new characters, rethinking our group strategy, and adding additional road and city events, and value the exploration of new content much higher than making the game as easy as possible (and it's not like the game suddenly becomes too hard with a new character). But that's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernardo Gonzalez
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
I aim to misbehave
badge
Go ahead... click!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
CRAGHEART.... blush sorry for the blunder. And great about the money that helped. Played again tonight. Did not feel that I under preformed that bad but still... I get that killing a monster does not give u xp, but still... on this game she got 23 xp, while I got 17. But Like you guys state It might be class based, if so the Cragheart (yea I learn), is very OP. Let’s see how it goes. Thx for the comments and again sorry for the rant, and the misspelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say 17 XP is excellent. 23 is *very* high, and most classes will never reach that in a normal scenario.

I wouldn't call the Cragheart OP. It has fun and powerful effects, but is difficult to play well and rather slow. I'd even say that the Angry Face character is more powerful. But as this depends on the party composition, character level(s), equipment, and scenario, it's difficult to accurately gauge the power Level of the classes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
Jasnis wrote:
And most certainly the high level character will get more xp, because cards are more powerful.

This is incorrect. The power and level of cards have no bearing on the XP that the character earns. Higher level cards don't dole out more XP per use than lower level cards. You don't get XP for killing things, only for card use and that's constant. Also, the standard XP granted at the end of the scenario is based on the difficulty, not directly on character level.

It's far more common for imbalance in XP to be based on class, not on level. Some classes have an easier time of it because of their card mix. But that should be no barrier to retirement.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that this statement is incorrect. The way I took the statement was that higher level characters generate higher level monsters/scenario levels, leading to higher amounts of XP. In addition, with higher level cards comes more opportunities to play cards that earn experience due to their use.

My intention is not to criticize your statement, but seeing the word "incorrect" drew me to the post ... and after reading what was said, I don't believe that the original statement was actually incorrect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.