Popular Tags: [View All]
Evelin Auger
Canada
Portneuf
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As per the rules, privates:
" If owned by a player, the income is paid at the start of each Operating Round; if owned by a Company, the income is added to the
Company’s revenue."

And for the distribution of revenues:
"When paying in full, divide the earnings by the number of shares (five or ten), round down to the nearest whole number and pay that much per share to the shareholders; the remainder goes to the Company.When paying half, halve the earnings before dividing them amongst the shareholders; the full remainder goes to the Company. "

Say I have started a 5 shares company with no.14 Cordoba & Malaga.

On the first operating round, the only revenue of the company is 17 pesos.
This amount goes to the Cie's revenue and I have then 3 choices.

1- Pay full dividends I divide 17 by 5, 3.4 pesos, then round down to 3 pesos, pay the shares and 2 pesos in the Cie.

2- Pay half and half; I divide 17 by 2 for 8.5, Divide by 5 for 1.7, round down to 1 pesos for the players and the rest to the Cie i.e 3.5 pesos added to the 8.5 gives 12 pesos.

So it is 5 pesos for the shares holders and 12 for the Cie.

It looks a little weird to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In what way is it weird? That sounds pretty standard. I haven't played 1858 but it sounds similar to other 18xx's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Name another 18xx in which private income goes to company revenue instead of to company treasury.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evelin Auger
Canada
Portneuf
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
In what way is it weird? That sounds pretty standard. I haven't played 1858 but it sounds similar to other 18xx's.

I have played around 40 different 18xx and it is the first time I encounter one where you have to make that sort of calculation that goes to 5 $ against 12 in a half and half revenue plus a rule where the revenue of a private goes into the revenue of a company.

I find it a little weird, interesting but weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wilson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
iulius12 wrote:
I find it a little weird, interesting but weird.

Yup. 1858 is possibly unique in having privates which pay out in multiples of 1 (rather than 5 or 10), and is almost certainly unique in having private income added to company revenue. Hence the weird-but-interesting rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Name another 18xx in which private income goes to company revenue instead of to company treasury.

Certainly, is it unique.

But, this is why I was asking what he meant by weird which to me means "off" or "not right". In that, he thought something was wrong with his calculations or understanding of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evelin Auger
Canada
Portneuf
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

Certainly, is it unique.

But, this is why I was asking what he meant by weird which to me means "off" or "not right". In that, he thought something was wrong with his calculations or understanding of the rules.

In fact I am a francophone and in my head "weird" means more like "bizarre" than anything else. I was talking about the fact that half and half would give 5$ on one side and 12 on the other. I find it bizarre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.