Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rusty Scioscia

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Wasn't sure where to post these questions so the general thread seemed appropriate.

So at this point, I attempted to launch 1 game on KS. Long story short, I cancelled it after 1 week. I see a lot of other first time game creators launching games on Kickstarter and it often times plays out where they get $1-2k pledged and then they flat-line... and fail.

There is no question in my mind that the main problem they have is that they didn’t build the right crowd prior to launch. And I say "Right Crowd" because there’s a difference between just having 2000 followers on Insta and having the right crowd. There’s nothing to say that a single one of those 2000 followers actually wants to play the game itself.

So my conundrum is this:
How does one actually go about building a crowd of gamers who will be interested in funding a KS?
What activities should aspiring board game designers/KS launchers be focused on to build the right kind of crowd?
Is there any point to spending time building a following on Facebook and Insta or will that come naturally with time if you do the "Right" kind of activities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're going about this backwards. Instead of focusing on assembling 2000 people who may want to buy your game, try instead to make a game 2000 people will want to buy.

The market is hugely over-saturated with games right now, such that five to ten are getting published nearly every day. To get any traction, a game has to really stand out from day one -- and then it just gets bumped off the list tomorrow anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
I think you're going about this backwards. Instead of focusing on assembling 2000 people who may want to buy your game, try instead to make a game 2000 people will want to buy.

The market is hugely over-saturated with games right now, such that five to ten are getting published nearly every day. To get any traction, a game has to really stand out from day one -- and then it just gets bumped off the list tomorrow anyway.

But even if you make a game that 2000 people will want to buy, you still needs to find a way of reaching those 2000 people. I assume the OP was asking how to do that. Sorry I can't help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Scioscia

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
David, that's right. We have spent a lot of time building a fun game and the part I'm struggling with now is just trying to do the meaningful actions to build the right kind of crowd prior to a KS launch. I realize that attending conventions is probably a good option. But I'm looking for meaningful daily actions to engage with folks. Anyway, thanks for reading and commenting. At least I'm not just yelling into the wind over here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are people who do video reviews of Kickstarter games. Lots of people like to watch videos. That would be one possibility.

Do you have a designer diary / blog where you discuss how the game was designed and include photos? That might get more of the hardcore BGGers' attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other possibilities:

Pay for ads on BGG

Pay to have a contest on BGG. I learn about games via contests from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Scioscia

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Bernard, great suggestions! I'll get on the design diary/blog. Other than posting in the BGG forum, any suggestions about best practices to share the blog with gamers who might be interested?

Also a great suggestion with the review videos. I'll get on that one as well.

As for BGG contests, what were some of your favorite and most memorable? Are there any ones that really stood out that are worth replicating?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of sharing your design blog, I think the BGG game design forum is great. BGG also has blogs, so you can start one here. And there's BGDF.com which is another place where game designers post their ideas and get feedback.

In terms of contests, I checked the sponsored contest forum, and it looks like I was wrong. The BGG sponsored contests all seem to be for games that already have a publisher. Sorry about that.

I do think that if you have a quick, engaging video that shows an attractive game, if you put that video out on Youtube and ask your friends to share it, that could get some attention. I also wonder if you could do a contest of some kind on Youtube, but I don't know what Youtube's rules are for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having email subscribers is much more valuable than an equivalent social media following. Try to find something that you can give away to incentivize people to sign up to your mailing list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Scioscia

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Bernard, I'll check out the BGG blogs and BGDF and see where it makes sense to post content. No worries about the contests. I have been running giveaways on Insta and FB so I'll probably just keep doing that.
I'm thinking of doing 2-3 min reviews and high level strategy on games and posting on Insta, FB, and Youtube. Thanks for the direction on that one.

Nick, I do have about 20 email subscribers. Why do you say that email subscribers are more valuable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.