Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The title sums it up really. My spouse is trying to organize a "bird" themed game night for a conservation group and asked me to think up a few titles. Aside from some bland ones from Outset Media and other publishers, I haven't really seen anything that "pops."

The best I have so far is Evolution+Evolution: Flight, any recommendations beyond that would be greatly appreciated.

Mechanics can really be anything, but the games should be rated E for Everybody, and also the games should be something close to readily available.

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

Hey, That's My Fish!. There are a few other penguin titles too.

I think Evolution etc. would be pretty tough for non-gamers.

Edit: Crows perhaps? Though haven't played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hahn
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pecking Order
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my partners is a big-time bird afficionado, so I've been on the lookout for great bird-themed games, but they're sadly less common than I'd like.

In addition to those mentioned:

Flock has adorable art. The mechanics are a little funky, but there was clearly a nod to the theme with the way it incentivizes you to behave like flocking birds. Very clever.

Cuckooo! looks good, but I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Flock mentioned above as well as Go Cuckoo! which is more of a kid's game but it is dexterity so it isn't like a simple memory game or anything, could be fun even with adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
Birds of a Feather
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much everyone! You've given my spouse a lot of food for thought and she has added several of your recommendations to her selection list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. "I pity the fool" T
United States
Jefferson County (close enough)
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although Chicken Cha Cha Cha is a children's memory game it is hilarious fun.

Okiya is a 2-player game with bird art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne Dong
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Songbirds
Seikatsu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowbirds is a fun solo PnP game.

But I could imagine setting up teams of 2-4 people each playing their own game and sort of competing against the other teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Pecking Order

A couple of abstracts:

Volo
"Inspired by the beauty of birds flying in flocks."

Feed the ducks
"Based on the concept/idea of ducks competing for breadcrumbs thrown by old men. The mechanics and goal meets the concept/backstory."

Both of the above are available directly from NestorGames, a small publisher based in Europe (I think shipping is ~$10 per order worldwide, not bad!). He's got quite an interesting inventory of games, and they are all travel-friendly with these cool little travel bags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Fowl Play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
La Isla
would be very appropriate for a conservation group. You play scientists on an island studying long-thought-extinct animals, including the Dodo!
It's a wonderful Stefan Feld game, who makes some of the best Euros out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
Snowbirds is a fun solo PnP game.

But I could imagine setting up teams of 2-4 people each playing their own game and sort of competing against the other teams.

+1.
There is also a 2 player expansion called Snowbirds: Sunset Sky

YOu can see an overview of the base game here: ...geese post...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fauna - focus on all the bird cards, and add your own for more rare, endangered, or even extinct species.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Stiltner
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tail Feathers

Mice riding birds in aerial combat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
Fauna - focus on all the bird cards, and add your own for more rare, endangered, or even extinct species.

Although, for a conservation group meet-up, if they're really knowledgeable and "bird geeks," just a head's up that there are some issues with the geographic distribution listings for some of the species in this game, which could lead to frustrations when the answers are revealed and the points scored. Sometimes they include "introduced" distribution, sometimes they don't, sometimes a mixture even for the same species, so it gets muddy.
From what I can tell, the science content was all researched online or from books, without consulting a biologist.

I do like the basic idea of the game, I just wish they had put more effort into making it accurate and consistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Nevermore has Ravens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calcapone wrote:
Nevermore has Ravens

As does Odin's Ravens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rpickman wrote:
Calcapone wrote:
Nevermore has Ravens

As does Odin's Ravens.

And The Ravens of Thri Sahashri
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:

Although, for a conservation group meet-up, if they're really knowledgeable and "bird geeks," just a head's up that there are some issues with the geographic distribution listings for some of the species in this game, which could lead to frustrations when the answers are revealed and the points scored. Sometimes they include "introduced" distribution, sometimes they don't, sometimes a mixture even for the same species, so it gets muddy.
From what I can tell, the science content was all researched online or from books, without consulting a biologist.

I do like the basic idea of the game, I just wish they had put more effort into making it accurate and consistent.

Thanks for that insight. I think if these conservationists were warned in advance we may have a chance to avoid their wrath and ire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OrangeWizard wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:

Thanks for that insight. I think if these conservationists were warned in advance we may have a chance to avoid their wrath and ire.

Yes, and you could even have them correct your cards for you so have a more accurate set for future plays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Columba, bird themed area control, very pretty. There is a used copy in the marketplace. Unlikely to find in online stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary U
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highly recommend Birds of a Feather. As someone who enjoys birding, I think this would hit the mark with your target audience.

Others not mentioned
Flock (I've seen this at Half Price Books and clearance at other OLGS. I would characterize it as a very light worker placement that focuses on the life cycle of a bird)
Songbirds (You can get this in the geek store)
4 the Birds (Kickstater but I belive I've seen it available on some OLGS).

Another suggestions but maybe hard to find (so doesn’t exactly match original post): Flocks & Flyways (introduces a mechanic that accounts for migration that adds a nice theme related twist)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Songbirds (aka Birdie Fight) - I know nothing about the game but the artwork looks nice.

(Edit: It's already been suggested - I hadn't realised it had been renamed)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.