John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry couple of noob questions !!

So playing tonight wolf man drew had 3 damage so 1 health left. I had guard dog. But by my thinking guard dogs ability wont kill him if triggered. Wolf mans heal ability triggers when he attacks, so before you assign damage to guard dog, so guard dogs ability to deal one damage just takes him back to 3 damage. Did I play that right ?

And drew a card that said test agility 3, take one damage for each point you fail. I drew instant fail token, so I took 3 damage, is that right ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperJoeUK wrote:
Sorry couple of noob questions !!

So playing tonight wolf man drew had 3 damage so 1 health left. I had guard dog. But by my thinking guard dogs ability wont kill him if triggered. Wolf mans heal ability triggers when he attacks, so before you assign damage to guard dog, so guard dogs ability to deal one damage just takes him back to 3 damage. Did I play that right ?
seems correct, yeah

Quote:
And drew a card that said test agility 3, take one damage for each point you fail. I drew instant fail token, so I took 3 damage, is that right ?

you still get to use your ability modifier. it doesn't make your test 0, just auto fail. then the fail condition is how much you failed by (which could actually be 0)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
When wrote:
The word "when" refers to the moment immediately after the specified timing point or triggering condition initiates, but before its impact upon the game state resolves. The resolution of a "when" ability interrupts the resolution of its timing point or triggering condition. (For example, an ability that reads "When you draw an enemy card" initiates immediately after you draw the enemy card, but before resolving its revelation ability, spawning it, etc.)

So yea, as soon as the attack begins, he heals before your dog deals damage. You did it right.

And, you did it right by taking 3 damage. Autofails suck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
Quote:
you still get to use your ability modifier. it doesn't make your test 0, just auto fail. then the fail condition is how much you failed by (which could actually be 0)

If you draw the auto-fail token then your skill value for the test is considered 0.

So taking 3 damage is correct.

See Rules Reference, Page 5, under “Automatic Failure/Success”.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me, or is that mission WAY too hard unless you get super lucky? E.g., you get all the right guns/cards, cultist spawns on lots of clues for Roland, etc.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poopooface wrote:
Is it just me, or is that mission WAY too hard unless you get super lucky? E.g., you get all the right guns/cards, cultist spawns on lots of clues for Roland, etc.?

You don't need to be super lucky. You do have to be good at action economy and know the scenario in detail though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wester van Urk
msg tools
poopooface wrote:

I think part of the idea of Midnight Masks is to teach you that you're not necessarily expected to get a perfect outcome. If you nab 3-4 cultists and then resign before your time runs out, you've done fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.