Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] Lunacy - Component Ready (54-Card Contest) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Sals
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb



Scene: A family sitting around the table, laughing and shouting as they race to play their cards.

Announcer: "Get ready to experience Lunacy - a brain-frying speed card game for 2-4 players.

Play your cards as quickly as you can. Be sure to match the right things on the cards and say and do the right actions. And whatever you do, don't lose track of the count!

Make a mistake and you'll pick up the whole pile. But if you can juggle everything in your head and play all of your cards first, you win!

Lunacy - it's crazy fun!"


and.... cut.

Ages: 8+
# of players: 2-4
Time: 5-15 minutes per round, 3-5 rounds

Rules:
http://www.davidsals.net/game-design/lunacy/LunacyRules_0215...
Cards:
http://www.davidsals.net/game-design/lunacy/LunacyCardsFront...
http://www.davidsals.net/game-design/lunacy/LunacyCardsBack....


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, sounds like it! Is the game name MAYHEM taken? Sounds a bit like that also. The rules read well and are clear. My only question is what does a player do if they can't make a legal play? I am thinking they sit tight until they have an opportunity to legally discard.

This sounds like a lot of fun, the card fronts are clear and suit the game well. The difference between centre and circle is a good one and would certainly trap me as when the icons are arranged in a circle they look like a circle but are in fact in the center.

Only minor meh is the design of the Card Backs. Something that pulls in the flavour of the game a little more might be appealing here.

Certainly a great party game entry to the competition.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sals
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GarryHoddinott wrote:
Yep, sounds like it! Is the game name MAYHEM taken? Sounds a bit like that also. The rules read well and are clear. My only question is what does a player do if they can't make a legal play? I am thinking they sit tight until they have an opportunity to legally discard.

This sounds like a lot of fun, the card fronts are clear and suit the game well. The difference between centre and circle is a good one and would certainly trap me as when the icons are arranged in a circle they look like a circle but are in fact in the center.

Only minor meh is the design of the Card Backs. Something that pulls in the flavour of the game a little more might be appealing here.

Certainly a great party game entry to the competition.


Thanks, Garry!

Yes, you're right, if a player can't make a legal play they have to sit tight. It might be possible for no one to be able to make a legal play, I suppose - I'll have to add a rule for that just in case.

I hear you about the card backs - I just wanted to get this on the board before the contest expired. I've had it in my head for a few months but it took me a while to make some art and write up the rules. Now that it's up, I'll see what I can do about refining the look a little

And Mayhem looks like it's not taken. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll sit with it for a bit and see how it feels.

Cheers!
David
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sals
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GarryHoddinott wrote:
My only question is what does a player do if they can't make a legal play? I am thinking they sit tight until they have an opportunity to legally discard.


I added a "Getting Stuck" section to the rules that hopefully addresses both cases.

Thanks again!
David
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry David, my silly turn of phrase - "Yep, you're right" right after your intro to LUNACY was meant to say this sounds exactly like Lunacy. And Mayhem too. Both good names and I'm surprised either is still available!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
Hi David,

My two sons (11 and 10) and I played Lunacy last night.

Well done on the graphic design. The symbology is clear and thematic, though we did sometimes struggle to quickly distinguish suns from stars. The rule book is very well written and was easy to follow. I only noticed one typo - the first word of the set up section is "sepaate".

I really like the idea of the game and the thematic tie in with the name is really clever. Unfortunately the game itself fell a bit flat for us. I think there was just too much to check on every card - colours, symbols, counting icons, maintaining the running count, and ignoring the big number in the corner, plus checking that everyone else is following the rules. As a result it played as a slow slog rather than a fast frenzy. And we weren't even playing with the count cards.

I think this is a good case where the design is actually darn good in theory, but the game doesn't quite play as well as you'd expect in practice. I'm sorry that I didn't get to playtest sooner because I think the game would play better (at least for us) with some minor tweaks to simplify and accelerate the action. You haven't had much feedback here and that's a real disadvantage.

This was always going to be tricky to match the complexity to the abilities of the players. I wonder if you could add the complexity in stages. So you could start off the first round with a simple ruleset, eg. match the symbol or number in the corner (I think having to count icons slows it down too much). Then in round 2 you add that colour can't match. Then round 3 you add the Booya rule. Etc etc. That might add a fun progression to playing several rounds. And experienced players could start and stop at levels that best suit the group.

I have a question about the current rule 6. In the example it mentions the card corner number having to match the count. Up to that point it seemed the corner numbers are irrelevant and only put there to distract you. Can you clarify if there's an error here? If not I have completely misunderstood the corner numbers and the count cards.

Also, and you may have already thought of this - when I had to pick up I would put the cards in reverse order in a pile. Then when I restarted I would just play them one after the other too fast for the other players to interrupt. That way I'd get rid of them all straight away and be back to where we were before I had to pick up. I suspect there needs to be some rule to prevent this.

I hope this feedback is helpful and I'm looking forward to seeing you develop the game further.

Cheers,
JK
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sals
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
Hi David,

My two sons (11 and 10) and I played Lunacy last night.

Well done on the graphic design. The symbology is clear and thematic, though we did sometimes struggle to quickly distinguish suns from stars. The rule book is very well written and was easy to follow. I only noticed one typo - the first word of the set up section is "sepaate".


Hi John, thank you for trying out the game (and for the typo catch). I was wondering about the suns vs. stars thing. I'll revisit that.

JohnKean wrote:
I really like the idea of the game and the thematic tie in with the name is really clever. Unfortunately the game itself fell a bit flat for us. I think there was just too much to check on every card - colours, symbols, counting icons, maintaining the running count, and ignoring the big number in the corner, plus checking that everyone else is following the rules. As a result it played as a slow slog rather than a fast frenzy. And we weren't even playing with the count cards.

I think this is a good case where the design is actually darn good in theory, but the game doesn't quite play as well as you'd expect in practice. I'm sorry that I didn't get to playtest sooner because I think the game would play better (at least for us) with some minor tweaks to simplify and accelerate the action. You haven't had much feedback here and that's a real disadvantage.

This was always going to be tricky to match the complexity to the abilities of the players. I wonder if you could add the complexity in stages. So you could start off the first round with a simple ruleset, eg. match the symbol or number in the corner (I think having to count icons slows it down too much). Then in round 2 you add that colour can't match. Then round 3 you add the Booya rule. Etc etc. That might add a fun progression to playing several rounds. And experienced players could start and stop at levels that best suit the group.


I love this idea. Honestly, I didn't have time to play test this with new players before the contest deadline, so as I played around with rules the people giving me feedback were already familiar with the dynamics. I suspected this was going to get me in trouble.

JohnKean wrote:
I have a question about the current rule 6. In the example it mentions the card corner number having to match the count. Up to that point it seemed the corner numbers are irrelevant and only put there to distract you. Can you clarify if there's an error here? If not I have completely misunderstood the corner numbers and the count cards.


The corner numbers are only relevant if you use the count cards - as they indicate which count card you should look to for your action. I'll revisit this to see if I can simplify this or make it clearer.

JohnKean wrote:
Also, and you may have already thought of this - when I had to pick up I would put the cards in reverse order in a pile. Then when I restarted I would just play them one after the other too fast for the other players to interrupt. That way I'd get rid of them all straight away and be back to where we were before I had to pick up. I suspect there needs to be some rule to prevent this.


Ironically this didn't come up because the way I changed the way I was handling the discard pile at the last minute. Huge miss on my part, and obvious as soon as I read it.

JohnKean wrote:
I hope this feedback is helpful and I'm looking forward to seeing you develop the game further.

Cheers,
JK


This was super helpful, as always. Than you again, John, I'll let you know when I've had a chance to refine the game and play test it more thoroughly.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.