7 Posts

Great Western Trail» Forums » General

Subject: Setup is strangely exciting? Is this weird? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
I’m really an okay guy.
mbmbmbmbmb
There’s something exciting about setting up this game.
Setting up the player board; placing neutral buildings, selecting the hazards & tents, the initial workers market... I find this strangely exciting: The anticipation of how will this game play out.

Does anyone else find this an exciting part of the game, or just me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Carter_Burke wrote:
Setting up the player board; placing neutral buildings, selecting the hazards & tents, the initial workers market... I find this strangely exciting: The anticipation of how will this game play out.

Does anyone else find this an exciting part of the game, or just me?

I setup the tiles upside down too, then reveal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carter_Burke wrote:

There’s something exciting about setting up any big game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Karlsek
Sweden
flag msg tools
I also find the setup of GWT really exciting. The reason being that the random setup has a huge effect on how the game will play out and what strategies will be worth going for right off the bat. Every new setup is a puzzle waiting to be solved. Maybe the game will finally give you the perfect setup for that strategy you have been thinking of for weeks.

I don't have the biggest catalogue of euros, but I'm hard pressed to think of many games where the random setup has such a profound effect on the game as GWT. So I think it's only natural to feel excited during setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The reason being that the random setup has a huge effect on how the game will play out and what strategies will be worth going for right off the bat.

Can we think about this a little more? I recognize the effect of the setup on the rest of the game, but how does one anticipate on this? And how do you deal if the first player(s) already take up the strategic advantage that comes with the setup?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
Phyriphiry wrote:
Quote:
The reason being that the random setup has a huge effect on how the game will play out and what strategies will be worth going for right off the bat.

Can we think about this a little more? I recognize the effect of the setup on the rest of the game, but how does one anticipate on this? And how do you deal if the first player(s) already take up the strategic advantage that comes with the setup?

It’s probably more complicated than this, but the first thing I look for is where the hiring tile is. Early, you’re looking at good scores as you can hire someone off the bat and use another tile before KC. Late, and you’re looking at lower scores as your first trip to KC (I mean the trip itself, not the delivery) won’t be as effective.

When I see the board, my first questions are; what employees are available? Where is the hiring tile in relation to the tiles that benefit that employee? So if there’s a builder and a cowboy out, but the builder tile is in the A slot and the hiring tile is in the B slot, then the market at the end, the cowboy is the more attractive option. Another factor is what private buildings are out, if the above questions still yield a pretty even split, it could be that you have your own market or your own hiring spot available.

And if someone else goes first and does exactly this? Well, I guess I go for the next best thing (assuming there isn’t two of the employee available) and start thinking about how I can disrupt their strategy, where I can place taxes, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, there's so much to think about it's hard to put it all into words.

I think my initial first thoughts are (not necessarily in this order although I've tried to summarise them as I think about them)

- What player buildings are out, and which ones do I like to use/think could work well this turn?
Plus, are there many builders out/coming soon to get a good building start?

- What station master tiles are out? Are there any permanent certificates early, and if so, are there engineers to recruit to get to them quickly?

- Where are the hazards (in other words, are there any free hazard spaces?) and are those free hazard spaces LATER than the building which builds other buildings?

- On that topic, what order did the neutral buildings come out in, and how does that play with my potential overall strategy this game, but also what cattle I've drawn at setup.

- Are there any nice objectives I should be trying to grab?

Cows in the cattle market for me are little more than an afterthought. I generally play 2 player, and she usually takes the cowboys before I get a chance. I'm happy to let her - she barely takes any of my sweet, sweet builders; she's too scared (I've called her out on it but she doesn't care. )
Plus, there's usually SOME kind of cow you want, and if you don't buy many, there are usually other ways of improving your hand (using the hazard tiles to discard the jerseys, using the double auxiliary draw & discard, trashing starter cows)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.