Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Monsters with range question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Convento
United States
flag msg tools
mb
If a monster has a base range attack of 2 and draws a monster card that reduces their range down to 1, is that still considered a ranged attack when it attacks? Meaning it would be at disadvantage since it needs to stand next to a character?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Yes, a ranged attack with a range of 1 is still a ranged attack, and therefore rules of disadvantaged ranged attacks apply. Just as it would apply if a character tried to use a ranged attack against an adjacent monster, regardless of the maximum potential range of the attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What monster and scenario level did you have that happen in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:
This confused me a bit too, since generally monsters have a range or 3 or greater, but I think some level 0 monsters do have a range of 2. Might be mistaken, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
This confused me a bit too, since generally monsters have a range or 3 or greater, but I think some level 0 monsters do have a range of 2. Might be mistaken, though.

Monsters with a base attack range of 2:
Level 0 Normal Inox Archer
Level 0 Normal Living Spirit
Level 1 Normal Living Spirit
Level 0 Normal Ooze
Level 1 Normal Ooze

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Convento
United States
flag msg tools
mb
JayJ79 wrote:
Joou wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:

Monsters with a base attack range of 2:
Level 0 Normal Inox Archer
Level 0 Normal Living Spirit
Level 1 Normal Living Spirit
Level 0 Normal Ooze
Level 1 Normal Ooze

It was the level 1 Living Spirit that I ran into under Scenario #14 with a party of 2 at level 2 each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawomir Stankowski
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We might need a ruling on this ;P

Rulebook p.19 wrote:
Melee attacks have no accompanying range value and are considered to have a default range of 1 hex, which means they typically target adjacent enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
SlawoS wrote:

Rulebook p.19 wrote:
Melee attacks have no accompanying range value and are considered to have a default range of 1 hex, which means they typically target adjacent enemies.

Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawomir Stankowski
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Melee attacks are attacks with range 1.
Do range attacks (attacks that have range greater than 1) that have their range decreased to 1 become melee attacks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlawoS wrote:

Rulebook p.19 wrote:

The quoted rule is defining melee attacks. Ranged attacks still have a listed range value, the above wouldn't apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
SlawoS wrote:
Melee attacks are attacks with range 1.
Do range attacks (attacks that have range greater than 1) that have their range decreased to 1 become melee attacks?

Multi-target and AoE attacks don't become single target just because they only have a single target.

There's no reason to assume an attack type changes without it being explicitely stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
"Melee attacks default at range 1" does not equal "Range 1 attacks default as melee." No ruling needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My question on this I think was answered above, but since you usually read the cards in order from top to bottom, do the monster's AI for movement take into account the fact that their range was reduced. With monsters usually wanting to step out of disadvantage, I made the mistake of moving him and then seeing that he could then no longer hit his target.

I'm assuming that he considers this, but it was just odd enough.

To be clear, card is something to the effect of:
Move +0
Attack +1
Range -1

I moved him, and then saw that his range was short, but should he take his final modified range into account? This resolves as he levels up, but I'm curious.
Card number is 585 if my memory serves, one of the shuffle cards for the Living Spirit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The monster AI takes into account its current values. So if it has Range 2 on its stat card and then it draws Range -1 on its ability card, it determines its turn as if it had Range 1.

It would not move to avoid Disadvantage in this case. It would rather make a Disadvantaged attack than no attack at all.

You do actions from top to bottom, but the Attack +1, Range -1 are not separate actions. The Range line is a modifier for the Attack one. It should appear as a smaller font.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kornetmuse kornetmuse
France
flag msg tools
nukesniper wrote:
My question on this I think was answered above, but since you usually read the cards in order from top to bottom, do the monster's AI for movement take into account the fact that their range was reduced. With monsters usually wanting to step out of disadvantage, I made the mistake of moving him and then seeing that he could then no longer hit his target.

I'm assuming that he considers this, but it was just odd enough.

To be clear, card is something to the effect of:
Move +0
Attack +1
Range -1

I moved him, and then saw that his range was short, but should he take his final modified range into account? This resolves as he levels up, but I'm curious.
Card number is 585 if my memory serves, one of the shuffle cards for the Living Spirit

Like Darren says. You have to take it into account. Just think about the "move if no attack" rule. You have to check the entire card to see if there is an attack or not. The movement is not the same but the attack is still after the movement .

The actions MUST be executed from top to bottom but you have to consider the entire card to maximize the movement.

Other exemple with multi target. The multi target part is often after the movement and still the movement takes it into account .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.