Fog of Love» Forums » General

Subject: Did designers wife play (and like) this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carter J Burke
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In one of SU&SD podcasts they mention the designer of Fog Of Love has a 1000+ game collection but his wife doesn’t play them; therefore he designed FOL as a game his wife may want to play.

Does anyone know if she has played it, and if so, did she like it?

Hoping for a happily ever after story here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Davis
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmb
I could be wrong but I believe that I heard that during development he play tested that game to the point that he didn't really enjoy playing it anymore.

Ironic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
I don’t know about Kickstarter copies of the game but the copy distributed by wal mart (which is the copy I have) has a “designer”s notes” section in the rulebook. In it he talks about why he came up with the game and he talks about how there was no game he had that his wife wanted to play with him, so he designed fog of love for that purpose, then he took it to a convention and it was well received and then he put it up on Kickstarter. Nowhere does it say that he got “sick” of it, in fact he says that he would still play it and be surprised by certain outcomes of his session. And yes he says that his wife really likes the game and that she had a big part in the design of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The KS intro video told the same story of him designing the game to play with her.
She was also the graphic designer until the workload got too much and they hired another guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Keetlaer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mb
zach66827 wrote:
I could be wrong but I believe that I heard that during development he play tested that game to the point that he didn't really enjoy playing it anymore.

Ironic

I remember reading that he playtested it with his wife and that after some time she did not like to play it anymore. A quick search led me to this quote:

reddit/ama wrote:
How does your wife feel about the game, now that its out?

Good question. She is looking very much forward to play with her friends :-) She is "a bit" tired of being a playtester and having to analyse every small change in wording or mechanics. She just want to enjoy herself without having to go meta all the time... (which I understand... she has been extremely patient with me).

She is also very proud that everybody likes the visual design so much. She has been driving that part and it's ended up great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.