Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
WARNER AIREY
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Split result, such as D2/A1. Can the attacker advance, if the defender retreated, leaving the hex vacant?
Example: 1 Soviet unit attacking & 1 Axis unit defending. Result: D2/A1. Neither decides to lose a step.

Only one unit for both Axis & Soviet, ie, no problem if the attacker had two units; one could lose a step or retreat, no complication. However, the situation I am talking about is just one unit on both sides.

The Axis defender retreats, leaving the hex vacant. Does the attacking Soviet unit still have to retreat one hex? Or, can it, in effect, ignore the A1, and advance.

This isn't an overrun, so rule [9.76] is irrelevant (Advance after combat does not apply to Overrun.)

Here is the entire rule:
[9.58] Some results on the CRT are split results; eg D1/A1. In a split result, the defender always takes his result first, whether it is a step loss or a hex retreat. Then the attacker takes his result. If any attacking units remain in their original hex they may advance after combat, provided the defending hex has been vacated. The defender may never advance in a split result.

... OK, see my confusion? Both retreat? Or can the attacker ignore the A1, because the defender does their retreat first, which leaves the hex empty?

You don't even need to actually play the game. This is really a language comprehension test of the wording of rule [9.58].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lunney
Australia
Glenmore Park
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the answer is in 9.56 - you have to either lose the given number of steps or retreat all participating units in that combat the number of hexes.

For 9.58 the attacker would have to lose a step which allows them to remain in the hex - if the defender has retreated then any remaining step that participated in the attack could advance, since some Soviet units (though not many) have more than one step.

To ignore the A1 would be wrong in my opinion.

On another note - it's good to see people playing the older games - I just wish there was a VASSAL module for it.....

Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WARNER AIREY
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I thought my question might languish there for a while, so much appreciated.
Quick AAR. My first solo game learning game. And learn I did. Soviet attacks lost units and left a hole in their line. All Axis units activate Turn 2. Hilarious.
Which did lead me to another question. Does the German IV Corps get early activation too? Or stay as reinforcements for Turn 5? (which is how I read it). Or, maybe I should just never ever make such a huge mistake ever again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.