Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Of all the games where an express version would be apt, a 20 minute filler doesn't really come to mind.

/end cynicism

This may be a fun variant to a great game. Not sure I'll pick it up right away or at all, buy would certainly like to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rogers
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Color me cynical as well. Patchwork is a top 10 for me, but I genuinely don't understand why something like this is necessary. Is it going to be a "My First Patchwork" kind of situation for young kids, with a smaller board and "less complex" pieces? Otherwise I have no idea why this exists...were people really clamoring for a less complicated version of one of the least complicated games around?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only way simplifying this game works for me is if it's done to speed up player turns and to make missing out on the perfect piece less painful so that they can increase player count. But that's not the case (still 2 player) so, not too excited for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Miquel
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want a Patchwork Pocket. Maybe this can work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds pointless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From recent BGG news post...

W Eric Martin wrote:
Why would you need that, you might ask? Because Lookout wants to make the game accessible to far younger (and far older) players. The game board is only 7x7 instead of 9x9, and the pieces are larger and less complex, with some small pieces being added to play near the end of the game so that you can patch holes in your quilt and try to achieve perfection.

Something for everyone, never a bad thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was really hoping he would start working on Feast for Odin Express.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Barnett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Odinsfury wrote:
I was really hoping he would start working on Feast for Odin Express.

I thought that was Patchwork :-P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dai Reds
msg tools
Sounds like a children version of an already great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C GX
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tic-Tac-Toe Express please.

I mean, come on! 9 spaces to choose from, I don't have all day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, what we really need is Patchwork Legacy 😁
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paula T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmmm.... Maybe it's for kids? But they'd still have to read numbers so that makes it 5 years + and my 5 year old enjoys standard patchwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very very srange one this

As others have said, the original is fantastic and is a super simple game as it is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron J
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rune wrote:
Yeah, what we really need is Patchwork Legacy 😁

Indeed! I want to end up with an actual, literal quilt at the end!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Giant
United States
Douglas
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the game sounds like it will be perfectly good and great for teaching Little Johnny or Granny how to a play an enjoyable game, but the biggest downside here is that Patchwork already exists . . . and that's a pretty big downside. If Patchwork didn't exists I could see getting Express for light gaming, and Barenpark for heavier gaming, but as it is Patchwork works pretty well for both of those groups and I have a hard time justifying either, and I love bears, and Granny didn't exactly master Patchwork on the first go, but she understood the basics, it's a pretty simple game.

Maybe we'll all appreciate it when it's out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
relax!
Jeez.

What a grumpy thread! This is a good idea. It’s certainly not the terrible idea y’all are making it out to be. Kids are going to like this. Sure, some kids can play Patchwork, but I’m not sure many kids can play it well. It’s one of those games that’s described as being “light” but isn’t really. If your kid can, that’s awesome. But it doesn’t hurt to have a slightly simpler version. It doesn’t hurt.

Anyway. Some kids out there are going to enjoy this junior Patchwork a whole bunch. That should make everyone here smile. Relax! This game is a positive thing. We can allow it to exist without mocking it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denman Scofield
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if it turns out to be MORE complex and gamers on a smaller footprint? Eh? Eat crow! Patchwork EXTREME!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
These aren't the droids we're looking for!
badge
Move along... move along!
mbmbmbmbmb
minorweaver wrote:
Jeez.

What a grumpy thread! This is a good idea. It’s certainly not the terrible idea y’all are making it out to be. Kids are going to like this. Sure, some kids can play Patchwork, but I’m not sure many kids can play it well. It’s one of those games that’s described as being “light” but isn’t really. If your kid can, that’s awesome. But it doesn’t hurt to have a slightly simpler version. It doesn’t hurt.

Anyway. Some kids out there are going to enjoy this junior Patchwork a whole bunch. That should make everyone here smile. Relax! This game is a positive thing. We can allow it to exist without mocking it.

It’s the magnitude of change that is drawing ire.

This feels like a money grab because the % change in difficulty/time is substantially less than most “for kids” or “express” games.

This feels like someone making “BANG The Dice Dice Game”.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
re:
That a delightful board game about puzzling together a patchwork quilt could possibly be something that draws the ire of adults says, I think, quite a lot about this disproportionately dyspeptic thread!

Young kids are going to enjoy this game. And there’s strategy involved. This is to be celebrated. And, off of BGG, I’m sure it is being celebrated in many households.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.