Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I think I got this but I want to be sure
Question 1)
Pattern burn says
Deals energy damage equal to Energy Ray rank.
This ability may be used once per round per Pattern Burn rank.
Each use costs one energy

Energy ray 4
Pattern burn 5

So for 5 rounds of combat I can do a max of 4 x 5 = 20 energy damage at a cost of 5 energy

Or can I just do a max of 4 Energy damage per round at a cost of one energy each round but still be able to do it for five rounds

Question 2)
By default the elementalist doesn't have anyway to do physical damage only energy damage (via pattern burn ) so he wouldn't be a very good character to Solo ~ or am I missing something. I know that at rank eight pattern burn will deal half energy burn damage to health once all energy is gone but that's not till rank eight

Thanks in advance ~~~ loving the game !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cleverley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading Pattern Burn that you can use it a maximum of your PB rank.

Eg.

Energy Ray: 4
Pattern Burn: 5

You can use it on 5 turns, dealing 4 energy damage each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Mariucci

Wisconsin
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
barbarianprince wrote:
OK I think I got this but I want to be sure
Question 1)
Pattern burn says
Deals energy damage equal to Energy Ray rank.
This ability may be used once per round per Pattern Burn rank.
Each use costs one energy

Energy ray 4
Pattern burn 5

So for 5 rounds of combat I can do a max of 4 x 5 = 20 energy damage at a cost of 5 energy

Or can I just do a max of 4 Energy damage per round at a cost of one energy each round but still be able to do it for five rounds

Question 2)
By default the elementalist doesn't have anyway to do physical damage only energy damage (via pattern burn ) so he wouldn't be a very good character to Solo ~ or am I missing something. I know that at rank eight pattern burn will deal half energy burn damage to health once all energy is gone but that's not till rank eight

Thanks in advance ~~~ loving the game !

Hello, I can answer this one for you. So the Elementalist is one of our biggest energy consumers, but she is a damage dealing machine at high ranks.

Okay, here is the ability text:

"Pattern Burn deals Energy damage equal to Energy Ray rank. This ability may be used once per round per Pattern Burn rank. Each use costs 1 Energy. At rank 5, the Elementalist may use Elemental Form this round as well. At rank 8 if your opponent is out of Energy, you may use Pattern Burn to deal one third Energy Ray rank Health damage per attack."

So, Pattern Burn can be used 1x per round per Pattern Burn rank. So if your Pattern Burn rank is 5, than you can use this ability 5x each round. Each use of course consumes Energy. In your example above, you would be doing up to 20 Energy damage each round used in this way.

What is more, when Pattern Burn is rank 5, you can ALSO use your second mastery to put a Shield on a hero (including yourself).

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does the enemy's defense work on each use of the Pattern Burn? Ie. in your example, if the enemy had defense 2, would the attack deadl 18 damage or only 10 damage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Mariucci

Wisconsin
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Sure thing.

So Defend is explained in our latest video on YouTube (can also be found in the video section here), but here is how that would work:

Defend reduces each incoming attack. As they are each different attacks, each instance would be reduced by the Defend amount. In our example above, 5 attacks at damage 4 each would be reduced to 5 attacks at 2 each for a total of 10 damage.

Block is a little different. If an enemy blocks at say value 6, than the entire damage pool would be added together and then reduced by the block amount. So in this case 20 - 6 = 14.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok great - that’s how I was thinking it was played I just wanted to make sure and I definitely have to keep track of keywords defend versus Block because it makes a big difference

As for my second question is there anyway for this guy to do any physical damage I see once he turns level eight he can do some damage once his ability reaches level 8 but obviously this is not a character you can solo and less I missing something there’s no way for him to do any health damage at the beginning of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Mariucci

Wisconsin
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Some roles are better than others in the solo game. The elementalist is actually a pretty good one for solo, but it will feel a little slow in the beginning.

So, the easiest way to solo as the Elementalist is to focus on your second mastery and your attack early game. A few ranks in Defense are handy as well.

She starts with rather high attack, so that is a great thing. If you open your combats by using Elemental Form, you not only Block damage dealt to you with it, but you're also ensuring your opponent receives damage back. This allows you to throw the shield on round 1 and then round 2 you could be dealing Energy Ray twice in health damage (once for the shield bounce back, and once for your basic attack).

Later game as you improve your defense your shield will last multiple rounds.

Late game she does really well solo. You can easily block much of the incoming damage you might receive, bounce the damage back and drain your opponent at the same time.

Of course she excels in larger groups because she can throw a shield on multiple heroes, and when the party gets hit with a group attack, all shielded targets bounce the damage back. We played a 5 player game where we had 3 shields up and an Elementalist with rank 8 Energy ray, dealing 24 damage + another 64 or something like that Energy damage from the Pattern Burn.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly C
msg tools
mb
We played a game with an Illusionist and Elementalist last night. So the Illusionist would us Intimidating Form on the Elementalist while the Elementalist would use Pattern Burn. Unless we were interpreting the descriptions wrong, that is quite a deadly combination. I was the Rabal Rouser - didn't seem like I was doing much at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Mariucci

Wisconsin
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
My son loves playing the Rabble Rouser. The nice thing about him (and especially with the combo you outlined above!), is his Rowdy Uppercut mastery.

So here is the mastery description:

"Before each combat begins, choose one ally to watch over until the end of combat. The Rabble Rouser deals Health damage equal to Rowdy Uppercut rank plus Teetering Haymaker rank. Anytime your watched ally is targeted or suffers damage, your Rowdy Uppercut is Strengthened by 1. This damage grows throughout the game."

So the Strengthen keyword means that the bonus stays with you throughout the game. With your Illusionist in the group, you are effectively ensuring that the Elementalist is the one who is targeted. That means that EACH round of combat you could be getting a +1 permanent damage by using this ability. Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For buffs, such as the beastmaster's howl or the cartographer's analyze target, would the damage buff apply individually or to each bolt?

I have to think it'd be individually rather than per bolt simply because it'd be obscene otherwise. Our first game last night was just that: beastmaster, cartographer and elementalist, and the only thing we were ever threatened by was starvation. We could destroy everything otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Loos

Wisconsin
msg tools
designer
Analyze opponent does apply to each attack made. As for call of the Wild's rank 6 ability, the Boost does apply to each of his Creatures when he uses it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.