United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Them cards will screw you...
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey ya'll!
Just what the title says. I want to find new games, but don't know where to start.
If I have an unrated game, it is due to the fact that I have not played it yet.
If you don't want to look at my collection, I can tell you that I like card games and sometimes dice and cooperative games, and tend to shy away from minis but only due to the cost involved. I also usually have to teach games every time I play (usually) so easy to learn and teach is another criteria I have.
If you just want to throw a game in there, be my guest! I've just about run out of new games to look up.
Thanks gamers!
EDIT:
I don't always have a consistent number of people, I play my games at the Wednesday Game Night at my FLGS because I haven't formed a group yet cry But most of the time it's the same people (for the most part), just unsure of who/how many will show up. Also, I tend to shy away from games that explicitly or implicitly involve or have involved slavery (Puerto Rico, Five Tribes), though stuff like Freedom: The Underground Railroad I'd play because it's FREEING slaves. I don't know, maybe I'm just too much of a human rights activist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Something for the rag and bone man...
badge
No soldier outlives a thousand chances. But every soldier believes in Chance and trusts his luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeon's End

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vande Ven Jr.
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll for the Galaxy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Based on some of your games:

Dominion —> Trains
Carcassonne —> Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King
Ticket to Ride —> Mangrovia

also, we love

Fleet
Concordia
Flame Rouge or Snow Tails
Ghost Stories
Nauticus
Legends of Andor
London

Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Eccles
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Alarm! Alarm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabled Fruit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
giantmike wrote:

I'll go a bit cheaper and say Race for the Galaxy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
JJRR_Esq wrote:
giantmike wrote:

I'll go a bit cheaper and say Race for the Galaxy

I already have San Juan (Second Edition), I don't want to completely replace any games I already own (but it is a nice idea I entertain from time to time).
giantmike wrote:

Roll for the Galaxy is on my list but not a huge priority. Is it really good?
ALSB wrote:

Aeon's End is a game I'm seriously looking forward to getting, I'm glad it gets so much hype!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hollingshead
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Dead Men Tell No Tales is a good choice if you enjoy Flashpoint!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dsco bee
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
Bgg cultist
badge
Bgg cultist
mbmbmbmbmb
Rivals for Catan is a great two player card game, nice city building theme, lots of depth and crunchy decisions, interesting deck manipulation opportunities.

If you like dice games you can't go wrong with King of Tokyo, a Richard Garfield design inspired by Yahtzee but with giant monsters destroying Tokyo and each other. It's a breeze to teach to new folk, and very accessible for non-hardcore gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
dscoBee82 wrote:
Rivals for Catan is a great two player card game, nice city building theme, lots of depth and crunchy decisions, interesting deck manipulation opportunities.

If you like dice games you can't go wrong with King of Tokyo, a Richard Garfield design inspired by Yahtzee but with giant monsters destroying Tokyo and each other. It's a breeze to teach to new folk, and very accessible for non-hardcore gamers.

Great suggestions! Some things I should have mentioned though: I am borrowing a copy of King of Tokyo from a friend. I also tend to shy away from 2-player-only and 3+-player-only games due to the player count restrictions making them harder to get playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, you like quite varied types of games.

Libertalia - definitely Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition)

Carcassonne - I like Seeland up from this - great game still with that relaxed tile laying feel but can be played really nice I suppose or really mean lol.

Because of your dungeon/card themes - I think you would love Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure

+1 for dead men tell no tales and legends of andor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lowrey
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coloretto -- fast, fun little card game
Ethnos
Lotus -- 2 to 4 player flower building game.
If you like games with custom dice, there's Nations: The Dice Game

+1 for Roll for the Galaxy
+1 for Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King -- but to be clear, while you are laying tiles, at its core, this is a price setting game. Works well with 2 to 5 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Roll for the Galaxy +1
Lords of Waterdeep takes 5 minutes to teach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like San Juan then you should definitely try Race for the Galaxy as both designs started out as card game versions of Puerto Rico. I started with San Juan (as it came out first) but moved on to Race permanently once it was released. It's definitely worth checking out. It is a bit of a pain in the butt to teach, but if you like SJ you really should give it a go.

Also, and forgive me if this is obvious, but why not try Puerto Rico, if you like San Juan then this is an obvious option, it plays much differently from its card game relative.

Similarly, I always recommend that people try out Elfenland when they like Ticket to Ride as it has some similarities with its hand management system, but welds it to a nice fantasy theme and lets players draft to choose what cards can be used for each route which is an interesting variation.

Also: +1 for King of Tokyo, especially with the simple Power Up! expansion. It's a fun dice chucker, you really need at least 4 to make it hum, but with that count+ it is a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recommendation for Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure (or Clank! In! Space!)

You haven't said how many people you usually play with. If it's often 5, consider Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

Finally, take a look at Near and Far

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragonfire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Builder - easy to teach/learn, 2-4 players (5 with Nomads expansion), variable setup/goals

Alhambra: The Dice Game (secondhand) - Yahtzee meets Alhambra

Escape: The Curse of the Temple - 10-minute co-op dice-roller, easy to teach/learn, 1-5 players (6 with Illusions expansion)

Unfair - card game, 2-5 players, choose one deck per player and shuffle together, decide whether you want to use Game Changer cards to shorten the game and/or reduce the difficulty, action summary card in each deck, most cards have effects for yourself or opponents

Space Cadets: Dice Duel - dice game, 4/6 players in teams (Die Fighter expansion includes 2-player scenario)

Above and Below - mostly cards, 2-4 players, story vignettes to resolve as "choose your own adventure"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
Edited the OP. Thanks for the suggestions, and sorry that I keep shooting down so many of them whistle I've looked into/watched reviews on numerous games already, some have been rejected before the thread began or I already know about it. Still, if I already know about it a recommendation could cause it to go up in priority. Dead Men Tell No Tales is on clearance at my FLGS, I might sell some Magic cards and nab it, just want to watch a review first.
Thanks gamers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kmak
United States
Parrish
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My 1st recommendation is COAL BARON. Fun worker placement, lots of replayability, strategy, not a long game and very easy to teach. Also since you already play Ticket to Ride I suggest Ticket to Ride Europe - it is so much better than the original because of the stations, tunnels and ferries. For a co-op I suggest either of the latest Pandemic games, Iberia or Rising Tide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kmak
United States
Parrish
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I heartily recommend Freedom: The Underground Railway. And if this matters it is excellent solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer2C wrote:
My 1st recommendation is COAL BARON. Fun worker placement, lots of replayability, strategy, not a long game and very easy to teach. Also since you already play Ticket to Ride I suggest Ticket to Ride Europe - it is so much better than the original because of the stations, tunnels and ferries. For a co-op I suggest either of the latest Pandemic games, Iberia or Rising Tide.

Rising Tide is already top of my wishlist, but I'm going to look into Coal Baron as I think I'm overdue for another worker placement game (Viticulture: Essential Edition is one of my favorite games!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given your love of Viticulture EE and engine building games, I'd recommend Scythe.

Century: Spice Road
Imperial Settlers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
Elankat wrote:
Given your love of Viticulture EE and engine building games, I'd recommend Scythe.

Century: Spice Road
Imperial Settlers

I played Scythe once before, I had a few thematic disconnects but it seems like fun. I'm probably going to hold off on it as a frequenter of my games store's game nights occasionally brings it, so it would be a little redundant.
Century Spice Road does look interesting though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.