Subject: Question about the end conditions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pansonic
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Stone Age today, 2 player, for the first time.
It is a light and quite enjoyable game, but here's something I probably did not understand correctly from the rules.

As there are 2 players, there are 2 tiles of 7 buildings in play. As it happened we both were getting those tiles pretty evenly, so all of our slots were taken and there were a few buildings left in each tile (maybe 1 left in each, not sure). The only other end condition is if the deck of cards runs out, but the deck is huge! It could have easily taken us another hour to play, and we are not AP prone players.

Can the game really drag with 2 in such a way, or did I misinterpret some rule?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pansonic wrote:
It is a light and quite enjoyable game, but here's something I probably did not understand correctly from the rules.

As there are 2 players, there are 2 tiles of 7 buildings in play. As it happened we both were getting those tiles pretty evenly, so all of our slots were taken and there were a few buildings left in each tile (maybe 1 left in each, not sure). The only other end condition is if the deck of cards runs out, but the deck is huge! It could have easily taken us another hour to play, and we are not AP prone players.

Thanks!

Did you realize you can have more than five buildings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pansonic
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ericamick2 wrote:
pansonic wrote:

Thanks!

No, but what are the slots on your board for, in this case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pansonic wrote:
ericamick2 wrote:
pansonic wrote:

Thanks!

They're just a convenience. From the rules, p.7: "The player places the acquired building on one of the spaces for buildings on his player board. If a player acquires more than 5 buildings, he stacks them on these spaces."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Mann
United States
Gladstone
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or if you want a shorter game just remove some of the cards at random or have shorter stacks of huts. We do 5 huts in the stack sometimes if time is a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine they chose five slots as a trade-off to keep the board to a reasonable size while providing a good amount of space for buildings, especially with larger player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pansonic wrote:
ericamick2 wrote:
pansonic wrote:

Thanks!

Once you have bought a hut and scored the points, you don't really need to see it again. All that matters for final scoring (if you have the right multiplier cards) is the number of huts you have built. They don't grant special powers or anything. They could be put in a stack, similar to what you do with the cards you buy, and it wouldn't matter. I think the slots at the bottom of the board are just a visual element to give you the sense of building a village, but they don't really do anything once you have them. And it was an excuse to make the player boards a little bigger to show off the awesome artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pansonic
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Metal Rat wrote:
pansonic wrote:
ericamick2 wrote:
pansonic wrote:

Thanks!

They're just a convenience. From the rules, p.7: "The player places the acquired building on one of the spaces for buildings on his player board. If a player acquires more than 5 buildings, he stacks them on these spaces."

Yes, I definitely missed that. It's all good now, thanks everybody!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pansonic
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pattersonclan wrote:
pansonic wrote:
ericamick2 wrote:
pansonic wrote:

Thanks!

Once you have bought a hut and scored the points, you don't really need to see it again. All that matters for final scoring (if you have the right multiplier cards) is the number of huts you have built. They don't grant special powers or anything. They could be put in a stack, similar to what you do with the cards you buy, and it wouldn't matter. I think the slots at the bottom of the board are just a visual element to give you the sense of building a village, but they don't really do anything once you have them. And it was an excuse to make the player boards a little bigger to show off the awesome artwork.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pattersonclan wrote:
All that matters for final scoring (if you have the right multiplier cards) is the number of huts you have built. They don't grant special powers or anything. They could be put in a stack, similar to what you do with the cards you buy, and it wouldn't matter. I think the slots at the bottom of the board are just a visual element to give you the sense of building a village, but they don't really do anything once you have them. And it was an excuse to make the player boards a little bigger to show off the awesome artwork.

Everything you say is true for the base game.

With the expansion though, there are some buildings that do grant special powers - or allow a worker to "work there" again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.