Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
There are Some Who Call Me... Tim
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight, I introduced Lords of Hellas to three completely new players at the FLGS board game night. Even with my rules explanations at the beginning, we finished a 4-player game in under 90 minutes. And it was one of the craziest games yet.

I let the other guys all choose their heroes before me, so I ended up with Heracles. Okay, monster hunting it is. Four monsters started on the board - the Chimera, the Sphinx, the Cyclops and that dang Hydra.

Achilles went questing almost right away, while trying to build some troops up in the north. Helen began moving troops around rapidly in the south, trying to seize as much as possible, while using her ability to block my troops from interfering. But my big problem was Perseus - he started going after monsters, too!

He damaged the Chimera, but didn't kill it. I rushed in and finished him off. One down. But then Perseus turned right around, flew across the board, and killed the Sphinx. Helen had Pandora's Box and kept making things even more difficult by shuffling the monsters around on us.

Zeus got built up to level 3 and Athena one level, but that was it for monuments.

Perseus fought the Hydra and took it halfway down. I was one space away and hoping to jump in and finish it off, but Pandora's Box sent him out of my reach (no extra speed!). Perseus finished the job. I healed up and confronted the Cyclops, who promptly wounded me in the monster turn, before I could attack.

Helen's forces were spreading dangerously wide. Achilles finished two quests and was getting nice rewards, but wasn't making a lot of progress toward a victory. He started consolidating and taking more land in the north.

I killed the Cyclops and suddenly there were no monsters left. Build a monument, quick! Event phase and... Medusa arrives! She also conveniently locks in Helen's biggest army!

Helen opened the Box again and shooed Medusa into my army. Desperate to stop either of us from winning, Achilles took a chance and attacked Medusa himself. He inflicted two wounds and failed.

Perseus used Thunder of Zeus to wound Heracles, knocking his strength down to one. (I already had two other wounds!) But he wasn't able to attack Medusa until the next turn.

It was my turn. If I somehow killed Medusa, I would win. Helen was after me, and had only two regions to take to win, both easily within her grasp. She would win if I failed. Or, if not, Perseus would probably finish off Medusa himself.

The desperately wounded Heracles attacked the snake-headed monster. I had only two combat cards. I drew only one more. Medusa had three wounds left. One wound and I'd be out. What did I draw?

Exactly the card I needed. Three cads. Three wounds. Boom. Heracles cut off Medusa's head and won the game.

Funny side note: the red glory marker changed hands four times in the game, due to quests and monster slaying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Regan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fantastic write-up! Making me jealous to get my copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Beam
msg tools
What were your groups thoughts on fun factor, excitement, and player interaction?
Sounds like a blast though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a fun game. Glad I backed it, sorry it has not arrived.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There are Some Who Call Me... Tim
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shortyski13 wrote:
What were your groups thoughts on fun factor, excitement, and player interaction?
Sounds like a blast though!

They all seemed to have a great time. We didn't discuss it in great detail. One of them was a complete stranger to me, and the other two I've only played one or two games with. Here's what I observed, watching them:

1. The one I didn't know at all was very smart. He grasped multiple strategies very fast and was pulling off some stuff I had only thought about after three or four games. I don't know what kind of games he usually plays, but when he saw this one set up, he immediately wanted in. He played Helen.

2. One player greatly prefers Euro style games from what I've seen. He was brilliant at Terraforming Mars a couple weeks ago. But he was quick to catch on, too. I don't think it'll be on his top ten list or anything, but he had fun. He played Perseus.

3. The third player, who played Achilles, had the least success in this session, but he still had a good time. He's already ordered his own copy!

At least two or three times, players apologized for taking too long on their turns, and immediately everyone reacted with "Don't worry about it! Take as long as you want!" It was too interesting/fun to care.

This session probably had more player interaction than any yet. When Perseus sniped me with Thunder of Zeus, that was painful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Beam
msg tools
Thanks for the report! I'm more into euros too due to less randomness, but I think since monster actions and battles are the only truly random things in this one so I think I Will like this game a lot. It seems kind of a good mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.