Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of Warfighter is due to arrive later today and i'd like to confirm...

rulebook pg 8 wrote:
A soldier with one or more Suppress counters is limited to
playing Action cards or Removing 1 Suppress Counter.

So...

1) a soldier (not a hostile) can accumulate any number of suppress tokens, and pays 1 action each to remove them, correct?

2) what if a played card (while suppressed) allows the soldier to move "without spending an action" (i seem to remember seeing such a card in a YouTube video)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soldier can do action from card. He can attack or move if card allows it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Verheyen
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As far as my opinion counts: a soldier can’t do anything as long as he has suppress counters on him.

• Remove 1 Suppress - Spend 1 Action to remove 1 Suppress counter inflicted on your Soldier. If a Soldier has 1 or more Suppress counters on his card, he cannot choose any other Actions until they are removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nik verheyen wrote:
As far as my opinion counts: a soldier can’t do anything as long as he has suppress counters on him.

• Remove 1 Suppress - Spend 1 Action to remove 1 Suppress counter inflicted on your Soldier. If a Soldier has 1 or more Suppress counters on his card, he cannot choose any other Actions until they are removed.

The rulebook also says that cards override the rules, so it seems (but i am not certain) that a card which grants an ability "without using an action" can be used while suppressed.

But my opinion doesn't mean much because i haven't actually played the game yet (it should arrive in about 3 hours).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Verheyen
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don’t agree: “he cannot choose any other Actions until they are removed.”is as clear as can be...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nik verheyen wrote:
Don’t agree: “he cannot choose any other Actions until they are removed.”is as clear as can be...

That's my point: at least one card provides (unless i am sorely mistaken) movement "without using an action". There is no Action involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s still technically an action to play the card. You’re just not spending an action point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From rulebook:
Quote:
A soldier with one or more Suppress counters is limited to
playing Action cards or Removing 1 Suppress Counter.

Edit
One more from rulebook:
Quote:
You (any Player Soldier) hold Action cards in your hand.
When you play one, apply the effects of the card, and then
discard it in the discard pile on the Tactical Display Sheet.
You can play as many Action cards from your hand as you
like during the Soldier Turn.
Play them one at a time, and allow each to take effect
before playing the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
It’s still technically an action to play the card. You’re just not spending an action point.

See the rules quote in the top post, which expressly allows playing of any cards while surpressed. Cards, in turn, can override anything in the rulebook.

i have seen no rule in the rulebook which characterizes playing of cards as "actions". The term Action is, insofar as i can see, reserved for activities which require the expenditure of Action points. If you have a rules citation which contradicts that, i'm all ears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically it is not easy to accept that suppressed soldier can run and gun. But Action Cards allow soldiers for some heroics that normally they would not be able to perform. That is how I see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup seems to read that way. I must admit, that’s not how i’ve ever played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
Yup seems to read that way. I must admit, that’s not how i’ve ever played it.

Doh, i didn't mean to break your game. i'm just trying to ensure that i have it more or less down when it arrives... within the next 90 minutes or so (if the postman keeps his normal schedule).

One open question: is it correct that a Soldier can (if he's unlucky) accumulate any number of Suppressed tokens, each of which costs 1 Action to remove? The rules are clear that Suppress doesn't stack on Hostiles (max. one Suppressed per reticle), but doesn't say so for Soldiers (yet does make a single comment about the possibility of there being "one or more" Suppressed tokens on a Soldier).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can have more than one suppress - and that rarely ends well!

And don’t worry about ruining my game - the correct rules actually make it a little easier so it might win finally win a game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dirk
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
c08mk wrote:
Soldier can do action from card. He can attack or move if card allows it.
See, I have the first edition set and rules and it says a suppressed solder can do nothing until the counter is removed. And I think (maybe other then a reload action) this works-thematically. Playing anything that allows shooting or moving just seems thematically wrong. Just sayin'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.