Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that the #1 recommended method for enjoying Labyrinths of Lunacy is using three decks, with three teams of 1-4 investigators each exploring the perils in parallel. This is how it was presented at Invocation, from what I've read, and it's supposed to be a real thrill.

However, I will not be buying three decks--that would be a little extravagant, even for a LCG victimfanboy like me.

I also understand that, if you have only one deck of Labyrinths, you can divide the dungeon into three scenarios and play through them as a mini-campaign.

So, my question is this: Has anyone tried Labyrinths of Lunacy as as a mini-campaign, and if so, what did you think? Was it fun?

Thanks in advance. Any other Labyrinths discussion is also very welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Sasinski
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the release date even out yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
rpickman wrote:
I understand that the #1 recommended method for enjoying Labyrinths of Lunacy is using three decks, with three teams of 1-4 investigators each exploring the perils in parallel. This is how it was presented at Invocation, from what I've read, and it's supposed to be a real thrill.

However, I will not be buying three decks--that would be a little extravagant, even for a LCG victimfanboy like me.

I also understand that, if you have only one deck of Labyrinths, you can divide the dungeon into three scenarios and play through them as a mini-campaign.

So, my question is this: Has anyone tried Labyrinths of Lunacy as as a mini-campaign, and if so, what did you think? Was it fun?

Thanks in advance. Any other Labyrinths discussion is also very welcome.

Who said you had to buy three decks?
AFAIK, the Labyrinth is a bigger expansion (80 cards) that is self-contained.
I've played it, with 9 players, and it was pretty fun, but incredibly tough.
I was not fond of the fact that you had to choose other players blindly. Made the whole thing unnecessarily unfair, but aside from that it was great, but also very challenging.
I played Mark with 29 XP and destroyed everything in my path but it was very close. We only lost 1 character, but super early, and that was not very nice for that player, who was out of the game for 3 hours.
Yup, it took 4 hours to complete.

There, from the product page:
Quote:
Designed to accommodate as many as three separate groups of investigators
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group of 3 played it as a mini campaign and found the three scenarios very repetitive. So much so that we never finished the third leg.

It was designed for 3 groups to play simultaneously and that is how I would recommend playing it. As a mini campaign, it isn't that great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Who said you had to buy three decks?

I'm going by what I saw in the "Top 10 Spoiler Free Questions" video on the Arkham Chronicle channel on YouTube.

This is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d22JqSSMPqs (00:48)

If that information is inaccurate, so much the better!

Hastur666 wrote:
My group of 3 played it as a mini campaign and found the three scenarios very repetitive. So much so that we never finished the third leg.

It was designed for 3 groups to play simultaneously and that is how I would recommend playing it. As a mini campaign, it isn't that great.

I was afraid of that.

My other problem is that I am the only person in my group who has AHTCG. Based on my card pool, I can build about 3 decent investigators, but that's it; essentially, each of the three simultaneous "teams" would be a solo investigator (which is never ideal).

Anyway, I'm still planning to get this.

Thanks all for your information!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Sullivan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
You definitely need 3 copies of the scenario deck if you want to play the epic multiplayer mode.

We played it this weekend with 6 players(2 per group); it was fantastic. One of the nice parts I noticed is that each group ended up with different things to do, and I barely know what those things were. I could probably play the scenario at least twice more and have almost a brand new experience.

I suppose that's not perfect, I would know how the third phase worked, and a few other tidbits, but the other groups were definitely struggling with their own different challenge.

I have not tried it as a mini campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sully4071 wrote:
You definitely need 3 copies of the scenario deck if you want to play the epic multiplayer mode.

We played it this weekend with 6 players(2 per group); it was fantastic. One of the nice parts I noticed is that each group ended up with different things to do, and I barely know what those things were. I could probably play the scenario at least twice more and have almost a brand new experience.

I suppose that's not perfect, I would know how the third phase worked, and a few other tidbits, but the other groups were definitely struggling with their own different challenge.

I have not tried it as a mini campaign.

Did you play with 3 copies? It wasn't clear to me whether we had only 1 copy, or three.
I'll have to ask my shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sully4071 wrote:

Alas, my hope was short-lived! That's the Lovecraftian universe for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just been confirmed that you actually need 3 copies to play the epic mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
I have played the mini campaign and found it to be quite enjoyable. I would recommend using three different investigator (with a new deck for each) for each installment of the campaign. Each of the three different versions is very difficult and you definitely need a starting deck with considerable XP (19 or more).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.