Caleb Zwar
United States
California
flag msg tools
Ok Gents, so this is my First Board game, and also my first Post on here... I've been a long time visitor, but finally decided I would introduce myself, and ask for some of your advice in developing / making a board game that a few friends and I have been working on for a few months now!

The Game is called: "Moonshine Empire"

The Idea: You have 1 night, (12 hours/turns) to Distill, Transport, and Deliver Moonshine to a Night Club. You have different units to help you transport the Moonshine to the Club, and along the way you will uncover tiles that can help or hurt your mission to become the king of the Moonshine Wars! Each player starts with a Still and a few Vehicles to help them move their Moonshine to the Club, each delivery gains you money to be spent on growing your Empire! Your Moonshine starts at a Base level of X, and can be distilled further to XX or even XXX (each Distillation takes 1 turn), however, the Sell price at the Club for X Shine vs XXX Shine is significant. You can also Fight and Steal each others Moonshine as each unit contains different Move, Carry, Fight, and Defend Stats!

Winning the Game:
Team with the Most Cash at the end of 12 hours - 1st(3pts), 2nd(2pts)etc
Team who delivered the Most Jugs of Moonshine - 1st(3pts), 2nd(2pts) etc
Team who uncovered the highest total of Tile Points - 1st(3pts), 2nd(2)

If you check out the photos you will see there are 2 police and 2 Alligators that "Patrol" the Club in the center of the Map, the Police prevent the Delivery of Moonshine to the Club if they are standing in front of the Clubs 2 entry doors, and the Alligators will eat any unit that they come across as both move 1 step around the center area with the end of each turn/hour

Also in the game there are "Bonus" or "Revenge" cards that can be chosen and Played if you choose to Get / Play a card instead of moving or distilling Moonshine, these cards are filled with all kinds of events and map manipulations to give the player an advantage or cause some chaos to their Competition
-------

So far my Buddies and I have play tested this game about a dozen times, (and of course we seem to change / modify it almost every time), however, we have had quite a bit of fun with this, as the best part is almost every time we play it, we really don't know who is the winner, until the after the 12th round, we count up our Cash, Add up our Delivered Moonshine Jugs, and Count up the uncovered Tile Points, it makes the end super fun and stressful!!

Please check out the photos attached, I have 3D printed most of the pieces, and make the tokens, money, and "cheat sheets" myself... so they are fairly basic, but they work!

My questions for you guys are this:

1) What do you think of the Game, Idea, Theme, and Mechanics?
2) Is there already a game like this?? I have not heard of one but??
3) We are pretty happy with it, but where do we go from here??
4) I still need a Board, Box, Cards, and Tiles... where should I get them made?
5) Should I make a few of these so that I can send them to Play Testers?
6) Should I just be happy with what I made... and leave it at that? (seriously, I love it, and have a blast playing it, but should I just leave it at that?? or should I try and get this out to the community?)

Thanks guys, I appreciate any input,

Zwario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moonshiners of the Apocalypse
Romania
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Hey. Your game looks awesome. We're also getting ready for a KS with our game.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/240096/moonshiners-a...

Not very similar, but at least thematically

https://www.facebook.com/moonshiners.game/

Looking forward to your game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Zwar
United States
California
flag msg tools
No Way!! Your "Moonshiners" game looks great!! I love the artwork and the theme (of course),

Please let me know when the Kickstarter happens and I will be sure to make a pledge!!

Can't believe there is another Moonshine game in development, (you are right, the gameplay and mechanics look totally different,) but still... wow! Hahaha

Who did your artwork, it is amazing!

Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Male
United Kingdom
Woburn Sands
Beds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically it is identical to Bootleggers (excellent game) although the mechanics and time frame appear different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Is there a high speed car chase? If there's a high speed car chase I'm in.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Zwar
United States
California
flag msg tools
No high speed car chase, but there are ATVs, Pickup Trucks, Potato Cannons, Row Boats, and Air Boats!!

It is set in a "Swamp" so you can transport your Moonshine over Land or Water,

The Dice Combat is what seems to set this game apart from other "Farming" games that I have seen,

Also, my friend and I wanted a game that you could play with 2, 3, or 4 players and finish it in around and Hour, or 1.5 hours,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Name just doesn’t fit to me. Maybe Moonshine madness or Movin moonshine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Zwar
United States
California
flag msg tools

Thanks for the input, we have been going back and forth on the name, it was "Swamp Wars" or "King of the Swamp" for a while, but there was nothing about Moonshine!?!

So then we discussed "Moonshine Empire", and it just stuck, I do like that it describes the game in the Title... you have 12 hours / turns to build your Moonshine Empire!

But I'm not gonna lie... I kinda like that "Moonshine Madness" too!

How do Game delevopers ever know when to stop messing with the game?? I feel like every time we play it we want to add or change something... even the name!?!

Again, thanks for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Levin
msg tools
Hi Caleb,

I believe you requested a quote from my company Shuffled Ink but you did not include any contact information -- I hope I have found the right person!!

I have your quote ready if you would like to email me at lisa@shuffledink.com to receive it

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Zwar
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks again for reaching out Lisa,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Zwar
United States
California
flag msg tools
Some updated Moonshine Empire Photos:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Zwar
United States
California
flag msg tools
We have a landing page now!!

Check it out here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/264858/moonshine-empire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zwario wrote:
We have a landing page now!!

Check it out here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/264858/moonshine-empire

Looks neat. How are you planning to offer it for sale?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Zwar
United States
California
flag msg tools
We are in the Play Test phase right now, we have a bunch of games out on Play Testers Tables currently! (Send me a message if you are interested in Play testing it!)

We will be sending updates on our newsletter (www.MoonshineEmpire.com), and also posting updates on Social Media (Mostly Instagram) @MoonshineEmpire

We hope to have the kinks ironed out and the artwork improved to be ready to Launch a KickStarter by Mid-2019!

Stay Tuned, and follow us here, on Social Media, or the Newsletter!

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.