Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The options surrounding the "Delete" link on the "file" pages for a board game (i.e., the user generated and uploaded files) could probably use some tweaking.

Specifically, if I accidentally click the "Delete" link on one of my files (this is very easy when using a smart phone or tablet), then the file is instantly gone. There is no warning or request for verification that I actually intended to delete the file.

Of course some will say, "Just be careful not to delete your files." However, the use of "recycle bins" or warnings by computer systems about irreversible actions is so commonplace that this should be an obvious change.

Even microbadges on BGG require verification to delete. Why should files be subject to instant deletion by an errant click?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Take it easy baby, take it as it comes ... (The Doors)
badge
Enjoy Life! Just do it!
mb
Joakley815 wrote:
The options surrounding the "Delete" link on the "file" pages for a board game (i.e., the user generated and uploaded files) could probably use some tweaking.

Specifically, if I accidentally click the "Delete" link on one of my files (this is very easy when using a smart phone or tablet), then the file is instantly gone. There is no warning or request for verification that I actually intended to delete the file.

Of course some will say, "Just be careful not to delete your files." However, the use of "recycle bins" or warnings by computer systems about irreversible actions is so commonplace that this should be an obvious change.

Even microbadges on BGG require verification to delete. Why should files be subject to instant deletion by an errant click?

The same for accidentially deleting geekmails and geekmail drafts, and - the worst - resetting your profile.
I complained about this more than once looooong ago, doesn't seem to interest a lot of people

Can it really be so difficult to let the site ask if one REALLY wants to delete ?

Luckily I don't know for sure if the profile is immediately empty when you click "reset" instead of "submit", because I'm super super careful.
Has anyone ever clicked on "reset" instead of "submit"?
What happens then? Are you being asked if you really want to reset?

Is it necessary to have these two buttons so close together?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Joakley815 wrote:

This is the part that feels strange to me -- why would some things require that we verify and other things not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you. I've almost deleted my own files when trying to edit. I've never tried on a phone but can see it would be a serious problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

The same for accidentially deleting geekmails and geekmail drafts, and - the worst - resetting your profile.
I complained about this more than once looooong ago, doesn't seem to interest a lot of people

Can it really be so difficult to let the site ask if one REALLY wants to delete ?

No, it is not. And it's also on the first page of Don't Do A Crappy Job of Designing Something 101.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.