David Scheele
Germany
L√ľneburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, just had our first match with these guys.

On the scenario card I picked, there were already two crystal spires on setup. Just to make sure: Those do not cost the Hernfar player anything to "set up", right? And, could you, if you wanted to, still play the crystal spire muster cards for some kind offect like... relocating the spires, or getting 4 spires?

Something talked about in a different thread, but not 100% concluded imo:
Can the battlemages shied units adjacent AND themselves?

And lastly, there is a lore card that is named something like "Rune-Attack". Costs 8 and lets you activate two additional units as well as play an additional lore card. I'm not sure what warrants that price to be honest, it sounds like a mediocre effect for a very high price. Can anyone convince me of the viability of this card?

Tahnks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlemages can shield themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveS wrote:
Hi there, just had our first match with these guys.

On the scenario card I picked, there were already two crystal spires on setup. Just to make sure: Those do not cost the Hernfar player anything to "set up", right? And, could you, if you wanted to, still play the crystal spire muster cards for some kind offect like... relocating the spires, or getting 4 spires?

The spires already deployed are free but relocating them is not an option. Nothing forbids you from mustering further spires, but they do not share the special ability of those initially on the board.

DaveS wrote:

Something talked about in a different thread, but not 100% concluded imo:
Can the battlemages shied units adjacent AND themselves?

Yes

DaveS wrote:

And lastly, there is a lore card that is named something like "Rune-Attack". Costs 8 and lets you activate two additional units as well as play an additional lore card. I'm not sure what warrants that price to be honest, it sounds like a mediocre effect for a very high price. Can anyone convince me of the viability of this card?

Moving two units to conquer a banner by killing the unit occupying it and then play the lore card that gives you the medal for elimination are 2 VP in addition to your "normal" operation. Not bad for 10 LP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, the rules say you are limited by components, so if you only have one box of Hernfar Guardians, you won't ne able to muster any more Crystal Spires on that map that starts with two, because you only get two in the box.

As for that lore card, the ability to play two lore cards in one turn is very powerful. You are also nearly doubling the average number of units activated per round. Putting both of those effects on a single card is why it is expensive. You may find it situational, but it would be too good if it were cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another combo.

1) Play Darken the Skies, which allows you to order 3 archer units and allows each ordered archer unit to attack twice if it doesn't move.
2) Play Runic Assault to order 2 more archers.
3) Order your 5 archer units to just sit where they are.
4) Play Enchanted Arrows to ignore units and blocking terrain and to double their range to 8.
5) Make 15 ranged attacks (30 dice) against practically any target on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's really nice! I would use it only if I have the lead in VP. Letting a turn go without conquering banners might be fatal :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.