Popular Tags: [View All]
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking very closely at the extreme close ups on the beast unboxing videos, I think these new Legion minis might actually be restic resin.

It's not a pure epoxy resin like many boutique casters use or that you encounter with say Warlord games stuff. It's usually called "sprueless plastic", restic, or mastic.

It is a hard and relatively inflexible resin that is just slightly "oilier" than molded styrene. It isn't bad really, just more difficult to clean up and work with for conversions.

The tell tale signs on unpainted minis are the greyish color (not unusual in minis though), the sharp whitish, triangular nub marks from sprue removal, and the sort of over sharpness of angular areas on armor or gear. Close ups of the minis show all of these signs.

This is the same sort of material that Mantic uses in their newer figures and not like the earlier Dreadball stuff.

The vehicles might be a harder plastic and a different material or a mix of types.

Anybody have experience with resin plastics that has handled these minis to confirm this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess they are the same as Runewars Miniatures Game. What are those models made of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
I would guess they are the same as Runewars Miniatures Game. What are those models made of?

The early reviews and unboxings are saying that Legion is made of a more rigid plastic than Runewars. Whatever it is, it's different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's Restic, then that's the same as Dreadball. I've got a tonne of minis for that and although I'm not an expert painter or modeller, I found them easy to work with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernando Montago
Mexico
West Falls Park Ridge Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't Privateer Press us the same resin plastic? It looks and feels like plastic, but you can't use plastic guy on them, you need to use superglue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Litorco
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, they are not Runewars plastic (it doesn't fray when cleaned by knife).

It's not as oily as P3 plastic and it's certainly not tooled comparably to it. Honestly, it most closely resembles GW plastic from the 2000s (LOTR kits) before they went and upgraded their plastic mold tech (and moved to proprietary plastic).

A more contemporary comparable might be Wyrd's plastic in terms of rigidity, with significantly better tooling. I haven't tested if it's styrene based though.

(I've handled plastic minis pretty widely in both boardgames and tabletop games. These are by far the best minis FFG has produced in terms of tooling and material.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri Litorco
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, yes the vehicles have a different, more rigid plastic. The above comments are about the infantry plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatTeriGirl wrote:
Nope, they are not Runewars plastic (it doesn't fray when cleaned by knife).

It's not as oily as P3 plastic and it's certainly not tooled comparably to it. Honestly, it most closely resembles GW plastic from the 2000s (LOTR kits) before they went and upgraded their plastic mold tech (and moved to proprietary plastic).

A more contemporary comparable might be Wyrd's plastic in terms of rigidity, with significantly better tooling. I haven't tested if it's styrene based though.

(I've handled plastic minis pretty widely in both boardgames and tabletop games. These are by far the best minis FFG has produced in terms of tooling and material.)

That's awesome to hear! Thanks for the info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the vehicles be assembled with plastic cement or is it superglue only.

I think the answer is pretty clear the infantry are plastic resin now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like all non styrene plastic figures, these are made of PVC.
It's PVC with more plasticizers in it, thus increasing g the stiffness and ability to hold detail.
While it 8s more advanced PVC that what most might be used to, it is still PVC nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not all non-styrene minis are pvc.

Some are resin plastic, like Mantics and Privateer Press. It's a cheaper option that requires less tooling costs and has similar detail to styrene.

I believe it was FFG that said these are not pvc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
This question has nothing to do with Legion, or frankly miniatures at all. I'm just curious and folks on this thread seem to know a lot about plastics.

When we talk about miniatures made of styrene, we usually actually mean polystyrene. Will plastic cement work on other styrene-group plastics, like ABS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Not all non-styrene minis are pvc.

Some are resin plastic, like Mantics and Privateer Press. It's a cheaper option that requires less tooling costs and has similar detail to styrene.

I believe it was FFG that said these are not pvc.

But Privateer Press and Mantic do use PVC.
What you know as 'restic platstic' or 'resin plastic' IS indeed PVC.

There is no difference between these plastics, they are all a polyvinyl plastic with various amounts of hardener in it.

Plastic glue won't work on PVC either. You need superglue or a pecial PVC cement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Lucky wrote:
This question has nothing to do with Legion, or frankly miniatures at all. I'm just curious and folks on this thread seem to know a lot about plastics.

When we talk about miniatures made of styrene, we usually actually mean polystyrene. Will plastic cement work on other styrene-group plastics, like ABS?

ABS components, like you get in Bandai Gundam and Star Wars kits does not glue with plastic cement.

ABS is a styrene infused with acrylic fibers which makes it a bit slicker and far stronger that polystyrene, which is why it's used in frames and joints. It also has a surface that is mostly impervious to common solvent. It has to be glues with butyl acetates, supeglues, or laquer thinner.

I don't know that many or any gaming minis are made from it because it is much more difficult to mold fine detail into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Dr Lucky wrote:

ABS components, like you get in Bandai Gundam and Star Wars kits does not glue with plastic cement.

ABS is a styrene infused with acrylic fibers which makes it a bit slicker and far stronger that polystyrene, which is why it's used in frames and joints. It also has a surface that is mostly impervious to common solvent. It has to be glues with butyl acetates, supeglues, or laquer thinner.

I don't know that many or any gaming minis are made from it because it is much more difficult to mold fine detail into.

LEGO is the only toy or game that I know of that is made with ABS plastic, excepting scale model kits.
Everything, and I mean everything is made with PVC. Excepting GW. Wyrd, and KD:M, and also Shadows of Brimstone, they are the only major miniature manufacturers that use styrene, that I know of.
Everyone else uses PVC, regardless of its level of hardness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warlord is all styrene if it isn't actual resin or metal.

Same with Perry Minis and Flames of War. In fact, all historical plastics are styrene.

I think there was some Wyrd stuff that experimented with ABS, but I don't know any more than that or which things the were, as I don't buy any of their stuff.

Lots of newer Mantic is styrene, and it should tell you by item on the website. Basically if it's on a big sprue, it's styrene. The restic sprues were tiny with big, weird pour vents.

The question is still open about the Legion vehicles. I'm tossing around grabbing an AT-ST to see if I can use it with other things, but am leaning towards the Bandai version, as it looks like a much better model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.