Fog of Love» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Love in a elevator ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Wauters
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
‘Fog of Luv’ .... Ok ... what bought me into this game was the fact this one is exploring new boundaries in boardgame heaven … Or at least that is what I was told. Romantic Comedy as a boardgame. What if a boardgame lover but absolutely no romantic person plays this game …

First of all : the box and quality of the material : all components are top notch quality. The poker chips, the board, the tokens, the plastic boxes (!) for holding the tokens … I can definitely say that this one raises the bar a bit when it comes to component quality. Next to open the rulebook. First of all : you will need glasses to read it imo. The font type is quite small . The colortype used is pastel (blue/pink). I am personally not in favour of such a color theme (too baby-like for me) and they have also applied this to the card holders & tokens … But that’s cosmetics & a personal taste and as such in the eye of the beholder right …

OK. Back to the rulebook. Started reading but quickly put the book aside. It almost makes no sense reading without having the game on the table. Next day me and my wife started playing using the tutorial cards from within the game. These guide you step by step over the different phases and boy … this was much better than that rulebook. I can almost say that using the cards every time you play as kind of a reference should be enough to get the drive & getting familiar with the game play.

A round starts with character creation & setting your persona goals. This is actually a lot of fun. I was a manipulative criminal with a birthmark and my wife a nerdy advertising manager with glasses. These traits set some personal goals for you to achieve during your romantic entanglement and will determine if you are happy in your relationship or break up at the end. You keep score of this by putting tokens on 6 personality dimensions on the board : discipline, curiosity, extroversion, sensitivity, gentleness & sincerity. To give an example : as a manipulative criminal I needed to score on the opposite side of the sincerity dimension. Keeping track of this happens with wooden tokens and sometimes you need to achieve a certain number of them or sometimes you have to do it together as a couple.

What happens next ? You both will go trough certain pre-set scenes (card driven) which represent moments in your relation. This can be highschool, visiting a museum, and so on and so on. The game comes with 5 scenarios including the tutorial and it seems there will be expansions for it later on. I would be particular interested in other type of relationships as well like exg : father / son or owner / pet … If you really dig into this the options are really open for some out of the box thinking … What if you should transfer this to the past & future : a child / imaginary friend or a human / AI relation ?!?!

OK … as you play out these scenarios destiny cards will be drafted. These will tell the ideal end state of your realation and are as such the goal of your game. On top of this reaching your personal goals will increase the chance as well for obtaining your destiny goals as your points will be boosted. For us we didn’t reach our destiny so we went our own way at the end of the game.

My wife told me she would like to get dressed up next time to match the character. Surprised me a bit since she’s absolutely no role gamer. In a sense you can consider this as some kind of introduction to role playing as well because you must not fall in the trap of reflecting your real life personality traits on the character you have drafted.

Conclusion : this one will remain in my collection and I am really curious to see what kind of expansions they will publish …
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolau Tudela
Portugal
Porto
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thabnk you for your review.
Quote:
I would be particular interested in other type of relationships as well like exg : father / son or owner / pet … If you really dig into this the options are really open for some out of the box thinking … What if you should transfer this to the past & future : a child / imaginary friend or a human / AI relation ?!?!
Very intrigued by your remark about the possibility of expanding the game to new 'love' frontiers (father/son, etc.). To me, this would make FoL even better, lets hope for the future
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nardran wrote:
Thabnk you for your review.
Quote:
I would be particular interested in other type of relationships as well like exg : father / son or owner / pet … If you really dig into this the options are really open for some out of the box thinking … What if you should transfer this to the past & future : a child / imaginary friend or a human / AI relation ?!?!
Very intrigued by your remark about the possibility of expanding the game to new 'love' frontiers (father/son, etc.). To me, this would make FoL even better, lets hope for the future

I would go another direction.

You've got "scenes" and two people playing out actions within them to move the "plot" forward.

I'd love to see the FoL "engine" used to make a Buddy Comedy movie, or a Buddy Action Movie. Rather than picking things to show you are sensitive, you pick to show your adherence to the law or your need for an Adrenalin rush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Wauters
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
À breking bad version ? Of Ash versus Evil daad ? Would hè great.... But unlikely I fear ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.