kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Who dares disturb the Hobnob Goblin?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Golden Geek Awards are upon us, with nominations open for any game published in 2017. This is the award created by and voted on by Board Game Geek.

I went off to nominate something as soon as I read the announcement, but to my chagrin I found that I had played only ONE game from that whole year. How's about you?

To find this out, go to the nomination page and look under "My Collection.” Click the radio box "Played." You will get a list of games published in 2017 that you have played. Unless, that is, you don't log your plays. In that case, you'll just have to slog through the list and pick out games that look familiar, won't you?

Poll
How many board games published in 2017 have you played?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Zero
7.4% 21
1-5
31.4% 89
6-10
20.1% 57
11-24
22.3% 63
25+
18.7% 53
Voters 283
This poll is now closed.   283 answers
Poll created by kataclysm
Closes: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:00 am

Now let's think about the most recent winners of Golden Geek Awards, those published in 2016.
Poll
What do you think of these Golden Geek winners from 2016?
  Liked Meh Disliked Have Not Tried Vote Count
Scythe (Board Game of the Year) 36.3% (117) 13.0% (42) 5.6% (18) 45.0% (145) 322
Star Wars: Rebellion (2-Player) 21.7% (69) 4.7% (15) 2.5% (8) 71.1% (226) 318
Arkham Horror: The Card Game (Card Game) 15.2% (48) 6.7% (21) 4.4% (14) 73.7% (232) 315
Mechs vs. Minions (Cooperative) 21.6% (69) 3.8% (12) 2.5% (8) 72.2% (231) 320
Codenames: Pictures (Family, Party) 25.0% (80) 20.3% (65) 2.5% (8) 52.2% (167) 320
Star Trek: The Dice Game (Print & Play) 1.6% (5) 0.6% (2) 3.5% (11) 94.3% (300) 318
Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar (Wargame) 5.3% (17) 2.5% (8) 2.5% (8) 89.6% (285) 318
Captain Sonar (Most Innovative) 21.6% (69) 11.9% (38) 5.0% (16) 61.4% (196) 319
Total Voters 323
Here are all the 2016 nominees for best artwork and presentation. Which has the most appealing cover art? (Pick up to 3)
10.9% 35
32.1% 103
12.5% 40
10.0% 32
25.2% 81
36.4% 117
0.0% 0
16.5% 53
13.4% 43
1.6% 5
4.4% 14
43.3% 139
9.3% 30
6.5% 21
8.1% 26
Voters 321
Did you (or do you plan to) nominate at least one game for the Golden Geek Awards this week?
Yes
36.9% 121
No
63.1% 207
Voters 328
This poll is now closed.   330 answers
Poll created by kataclysm
Closes: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:00 am

If you enjoy these polls, you can subscribe to the TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

New! If you are female, you can take part in the TGIF Women's Poll. Same questions, but the poll is only open to the 10% of us on BGG who are female or gender-diverse.

Discussion: We found out in a recent TGIF poll that most of us don’t care about awards for board games. We make our choices based on other factors. So why do we keep voting in them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the game above Lotus a mistake? It doesn't look like a box cover, and seems to just be in a user's gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly... I'll check.

Edit: Its ImageID matches the one being used as the main cover image on Lotus' game page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
I hadn't realized how "niche" (that is, directed at a specific subset of gamers) all of the 2016 winners were until I checked "Have Not Tried" for every single one, and thought to myself that there's only one, maaaaybe two, which I'd be interested in trying even once (and then I fully expect my feeling about it/them to end up as "Meh")
(I'm sure there'll people who'll want to declaim that for example Codenames: Pictures isn't "niche" - but don't be hung up on the word; there's few people who'll be liking it who didn't already know they liked Codenames.)

kataclysm wrote:
Possibly... I'll check.

Edit: Its ImageID matches the one being used as the main cover image on Lotus' game page.

Look at the one above it (below Kanagawa).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
a_traveler wrote:
I hadn't realized how "niche" (that is, directed at a specific subset of gamers) all of the 2016 winners were until I checked "Have Not Tried" for every single one, and thought to myself that there's only one, maaaaybe two, which I'd be interested in trying even once (and then I fully expect my feeling about it/them to end up as "Meh")

Yes, but it's the BGG niche, after all...

I was particularly taken by the personal dissonance with the poll above it; I've played over 100 2017 releases (and over 100 2016 releases), but I've only played one of the 2016 winners, and that only pre-publication. My disconnect from the tastes of BGG came as no surprise - that's been the case for years now - but with the growth of the market, it strikes me that everything is niche...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
a_traveler wrote:
(I'm sure there'll people who'll want to declaim that for example Codenames: Pictures isn't "niche" - but don't be hung up on the word; there's few people who'll be liking it who didn't already know they liked Codenames.)

I don't know whether Codenames Pictures is "niche", but I can say that I was "meh" about Codenames (text) and didn't particular like it, while I do like Codenames Pictures...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
kataclysm wrote:
Possibly... I'll check.

I think the question referred to the image above Lotus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 21 of 2017's games. I enjoyed a fair number of those but the only one that made me go WOW was Spirit Island. It's a top notch co-op and/or solitaire game that I can't recommend highly enough. My experience with Kickstarter has been sorta ok to meh but Spirit Island was the gold that made all the others worthwhile.

Some folks don't like it, true, but some folks don't like puppies and ice cream (which are SOOO tasty together).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Turns out I have played 2 2017s:
Lisboa
Pandemic Legacy: Season 2

They are both exceptional games in many ways - thank you for reminding me to nominate them for the awards!

These days I don't get as much gaming done as I used to and am not as "in the loop" with new releases, so I was pleasantly surprised to realize that I had actually played 2 new ones this past year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
HilkMAN wrote:
kataclysm wrote:
Possibly... I'll check.

Looks like the game subsequent to Kanagawa and previous to Lotus (i.e. between Kanagawa and Lotus ) is supposed to be:

according to last year's artwork and presentation nominations.

Re-do! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hoiland
United States
Sidney
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played so few games released in 2017 that my votes wouldn't be very representative of the quality of the games up for vote. I'd be like voting for an election only based on what a few politicians look like. I can't even say I've watched reviews for many of the 2017 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played two games from 2017. They' okay but not prize worthy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 40 games from 2016, but only one of the Golden Geek winners, and I played that once.

I have played 33 games from 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
just counted 204 games in 2017...:surprise:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
While I participate in the GG nomination and voting each year, I don't put a lot of weight behind the results. If Gloomhaven isn't game of the year I'll be shocked.

Whereas the Spiel des Jahres and Kennerspiel des Jahres can and does still surprise me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kataclysm wrote:
Possibly... I'll check.

As others have posted I was referring to the game image above Lotus, not the image of Lotus itself.

Another poster suggested it was probably meant to be Kodama: The Tree Spirits, which does have very enticing art, so a shame it didn't make it into the poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Jeeze Louise, just ONE played. Table Battles, won't win anything in spite of being a great play because it hasn't had a hype machine attached to it for the past 18 months.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
kataclysm wrote:
To find this out, go to the nomination page and look under "My Collection.” Click the radio box "Played." You will get a list of games published in 2017 that you have played. Unless, that is, you don't log your plays. In that case, you'll just have to slog through the list and pick out games that look familiar, won't you?

The easiest way is to look at your collection and sort by "Last modified", which should mostly put 2017 games near the top.

Another way is to use Adv. Search, to the right of the usual search bar at the top of the page, and search for 2017 to 2017 in your collection, assuming you rate everything. I found I had played a lot more 2017 games than I remembered.
___

Why do we vote for awards but not care? For me, I recognize many people like many different preferences in gaming, from roll-and-shout to deep, long-term analysis and study; but, I want my preferences known, especially to publishers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 8 of them. 3 of those are excellent and likely award-worthy: Aeon's End: War Eternal, Century: Spice Road, and Spirit Island.

Spirit Island is unequivocally my game of the year. It might be my game of the decade, frankly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
some folks don't like puppies and ice cream (which are SOOO tasty together).

But not nearly as tasty as General Tso's kitten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 13 2017 games, three were good enough for me to want to nominate them for anything and the rest were pretty forgettable.

Of last year's winners I've played two, found them both pretty mediocre, and have no interest in the other six.

As far as my interest level in golden geek, I still wouldn't say I care about it per se, I just view it as an interesting curiosity (see also: the ranking system). I maintain my position from the awards polls that it's not going to influence my purchases but it's fun sharing opinions (and especially fun telling people on the internet how wrong their opinions on hobby entertainment products are).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Market share is just so fractured right now. I'd be curious to see what percentage of the vote the winners in each category get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Scaggs
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played about 65 games from 2017. This number is probably higher than my 2016 games at a similar time because I definitely got more into the hobby last year compared to prior years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
HilkMAN wrote:
kataclysm wrote:
Possibly... I'll check.

Looks like the game subsequent to Kanagawa and previous to Lotus (i.e. between Kanagawa and Lotus :p) is supposed to be:

according to last year's artwork and presentation nominations.

Re-do! :devil:

D'oh! That picture is totally what was supposed to be in the poll. ImageID must have been off by one. And it's such a pretty picture! Too bad we get fewer than half the votes in supplemental polls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
Curiously, the nomination page lists Star Realms: Coalition Tower Promo Card but not Star Realms: Union Drone. Apparently they knew the drone would sweep away all comers. Rigged system etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.