11 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Sleeves and the box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Dukai
msg tools
Hi!

I am planning to buy dominion. The game has almost 500 cards. Do you sleeve them all up? Do you care at all? And after putting them into sleeves, does it still fit into the box? Or how do you store the cards after?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Richards
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved all mine and have been satisfied. I know there are all sorts of opinions regarding to sleeve or not to sleeve and I don't believe there is a right answer. It has worked well for us though. If I remember right, sleeved cards don't fit into the container but I am assuming someone else will jump on and share their experience. I made a wood box to store all of the games together in and the organizer inside quickly went out the door. Best of luck.

PS One benefit we have found with sleeveing is that it is a lot easier for us to shuffle the cards together vs regular shuffling without.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Dukai
msg tools
I am an avid card game player myself, having a past with MTG, I prefer my cards sleeved up. Easier to shuffle, the cards remain intact, they look better when sleeved. They tend to gather grease and dirt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antanas
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 4 boxes of Dominion are sleeved with Mayday standard sleeves. Although I'm not the biggest fan of Mayday sleeves, these fit back in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soulblight
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose that depends on weather or not you're going to buy expansions, or play with an expansion that someone else owns.

Purchasing thousands of identical sleeves could get pricey, and it's super inconvenient if you have to sleeve someone else's cards (or unsleeve your own).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Swantner
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve everything in Ultra Pro Euro, minus the randomizers. I use an app for that. The Ultra Pros seemed to fit the Dominion cut the best. They're premium thickness. I tried thin sleeves that will fit back in the box, but found I prefer premium or nothing.
So for storage, I bought box inserts. There are a number of companies that make them now, Broken Token, Go7Gaming, and others. Brand to go with depends on style preferred.
I thought about the all in one large wooden box, but prefer to stay modular. With the inserts, I keep two sets of base cards, the first kingdom cards, and the promos in the first box and 2-3 expansions per box in the next boxes. So when it's time to play, I grab the first box and an expansion box or two and we're off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danieldukai wrote:
Hi!

I am planning to buy dominion. The game has almost 500 cards. Do you sleeve them all up? Do you care at all? And after putting them into sleeves, does it still fit into the box? Or how do you store the cards after?

Thanks

Sleeving makes particular sense in this game. The cards are worn unevenly, so it is a problem if the difference becomes too obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed Z
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Dominion plus 6 expansions (still working on the rest), but I only play this about once a month now, so I don't use sleeves. I played it maybe once or twice a week when I first started collecting, but now, not so much. If you are playing several times a week, I would definitely sleeve them. If you're only going to play a couple times a month, then I wouldn't bother with sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Waters
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all of the Dominion cards and have sleeved everything. I have made some Dividers and everything fits into 3 of the large Dominion boxes.
It makes sense to sleeve everything as we play at least one of two games a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fell
United States
East Patchogue
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well when we first got our Dominion base game 8 years ago, within three plays I spilled a glass of wine smack dab in the middle of the kingdom piles. The cards were unsleeved. We now have the base game and 8 expansions in one wood case and still play unsleeved. Yes I did have to replace the damaged cards that curled about a year later. They were the treasure cards that I was able get in the Dominion Base Card Set for $21.95 then, and 3 kingdom sets that I picked up from ebay. We luv having the cards all in one box and that would not be if they were sleeved.
I do freak out a little when there are chicken eating sweaty hand kids around tho.
All in all some cards are showing some wear but for us they are all still very playable.
Sleeving may be for you if your not a push your luck type. But if you get bit by the Dominion bug remember 2000+ cards are a lot of cards to sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris E
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think sleeving is a waste of time and money, plus stacks get unwieldy and slide around/get knocked over. Depending on your lighting, sleeved cards can get glare and be hard to read as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.