United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
TGIF Poll #393: Golden Geeks

Welcome to the 393rd TGIF poll, live and exclusive to the Women & Gaming forum. If you are male, I respectfully ask that you please avoid voting in the poll below and take this week's general poll instead. I promise that the questions are exactly the same, and you can still make your opinion known there. We’re trying to limit the TGIF polls posted in the women’s section to respondents whose gender is female and/or gender-diverse so that we can see patterns in the data that might otherwise be dwarfed if we had to combine our responses with those of the overwhelmingly male population on BGG. If you identify as neither male nor female, then welcome and please take whichever poll you feel best suits you.

The Golden Geek Awards are upon us, with nominations open for any game published in 2017. This is the award created by and voted on by Board Game Geek.

I went off to nominate something as soon as I read the announcement, but to my chagrin I found that I had played only ONE game from that whole year. How's about you?

To find this out, go to the nomination page and look under "My Collection.” Click the radio box "Played." You will get a list of games published in 2017 that you have played. Unless, that is, you don't log your plays. In that case, you'll just have to slog through the list and pick out games that look familiar, won't you?

Poll
How many board games published in 2017 have you played?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Zero
2.9% 2
1-5
33.3% 23
6-10
23.2% 16
11-24
24.6% 17
25+
15.9% 11
Voters 69
This poll is now closed.   69 answers
Poll created by kataclysm
Closes: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:00 am

Now let's think about the most recent winners of Golden Geek Awards, those published in 2016.
Poll
What do you think of these Golden Geek winners from 2016?
  Liked Meh Disliked Have Not Tried Vote Count
Scythe (Board Game of the Year) 34.2% (26) 9.2% (7) 3.9% (3) 52.6% (40) 76
Star Wars: Rebellion (2-Player) 2.6% (2) 3.9% (3) 3.9% (3) 89.5% (68) 76
Arkham Horror: The Card Game (Card Game) 17.1% (13) 5.3% (4) 5.3% (4) 72.4% (55) 76
Mechs vs. Minions (Cooperative) 14.5% (11) 6.6% (5) 2.6% (2) 76.3% (58) 76
Codenames: Pictures (Family, Party) 25.3% (19) 12.0% (9) 5.3% (4) 57.3% (43) 75
Star Trek: The Dice Game (Print & Play) 1.3% (1) 1.3% (1) 1.3% (1) 96.1% (73) 76
Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar (Wargame) 1.4% (1) 1.4% (1) 1.4% (1) 95.9% (71) 74
Captain Sonar (Most Innovative) 18.4% (14) 6.6% (5) 3.9% (3) 71.1% (54) 76
Total Voters 76
Here are all the 2016 nominees for best artwork and presentation. Which has the most appealing cover art? (Pick up to 3)
6.5% 5
39.0% 30
5.2% 4
6.5% 5
39.0% 30
63.6% 49
0.0% 0
20.8% 16
13.0% 10
0.0% 0
6.5% 5
23.4% 18
1.3% 1
2.6% 2
9.1% 7
Voters 77
Did you (or do you plan to) nominate at least one game for the Golden Geek Awards this week?
Yes
36.4% 28
No
63.6% 49
Voters 77
This poll is now closed.   77 answers
Poll created by kataclysm
Closes: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:00 am

If you enjoy these kinds of polls, you can subscribe to the TGIF Women's Poll Subscription Thread.

Discussion: We found out in a recent TGIF poll that most of us don’t care about awards for board games. We make our choices based on other factors. So why do we keep voting in them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicky
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to have played exactly 25 of the games it counts as having been published in 2017, so sneaked into the top bracket...

kataclysm wrote:
Discussion: We found out in a recent TGIF poll that most of us don’t care about awards for board games. We make our choices based on other factors. So why do we keep voting in them?

Because voting is fun? At least when it's only about board games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicky
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't planning to nominate any games so that's what I voted, but now that you've put the idea in my head, I've just gone and nominated one. Should I change my vote?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised to see I've played 12 games published in 2017, although this includes both Deckscape adventures, an Unlock! pnp and a brief disappointing game of 3 secrets. But I thought the number would be much lower.
I nominated a couple of games, since I was already on the page, but I don't much care about results. Gloomhaven and 7th Continent are the best 2017 games no matter what the poll will say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Like a stream that meets a boulder halfway through the woods.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote in them every year because I don't like the results every year and think that they should be better.

I've played a bunch of games from 2017. I go to a lot of cons and spend a decent amount of time demoing things at them, so I get the chance to play a bunch of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kataclysm wrote:
Because other people care, and we want to influence their choices in favor of games we like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
That's it, I think. It's an opportunity to let the 'world' know about things we think are awesome, and an opportunity to maybe improve the quality of the voting, so we try even though we know it's pretty hopeless. That's how I feel about book awards, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the nomination page, I've played 23 2017 releases. Partially from spending a lot of SHUX in the demo hall. But one of those games only got a reprint this year (Brew Crafters), and I think another was released as a KS add-on prior to 2017, but had its own KS for a 2017 release (Shadowscape).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"I do what I do because it’s right! Because it’s decent! And above all, it’s kind! It’s just that… Just kind." -Dr. Who
badge
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mb
I don't vote in most BGG award polls because I haven't played most of the hot games for whatever the voting is for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.