Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I just wanted to drop a quick post here to introduce myself having just joined SFR as Community & Strategy Coordinator.

I am a UK-based games designer, though for SFR, my primary focus will be on bringing Dragon Dice back to it's former glory. As long-time players of the game you may all be excited to know that our first move will be an upcoming Kickstarter to reprint the mighty Swamp Stalkers (we hope this to be the first of a few classic races getting reprinted!). We'll be announcing the anticipated launch date for this over the coming weeks.

Here is a short announcement about it on my blog (SFR posted about it on their Dragon Dice Facebook page yesterday) - http://gamesbyshep.com/blog/shep-sfr-more-dragon-dice

Over the coming weeks and months I'll be looking to arrange more organised play events to entice new players, and will be revealing more details of what we have planned. If anyone has any questions, let me know and I'll do my very best to answer them (though for the next 7 days I'll b win the middle of Snowdonia National Park, so excuse any slow replies!!).

Thanks folks!

Shep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to it and I'm looking forward to supporting SFR on kickstarter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Babaloski Babaloski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
All Purpose Neko-Sensei
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great!

I know you don't have much control over what shades of colours China can produce in any given run, but I do prefer the brighter green that was used in the original TSR run than the darker shade of the earlier reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see you're back!

I took a quick look at the rules and spells on the SFR site.

Some requests:
* Short and Quickstart version of the rules. 80 pages is too long.
* Better layout for the rules and spells sheet.
* PnP demo dice for the game. Dungeon Roll (?) managed to pull this off. Maybe glue the printout to manila folders and cut out the dice.

Sure wish I knew which banker's box my dice were in! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Glad to see you're back!

Some requests:
* PnP demo dice for the game. Dungeon Roll (?) managed to pull this off. Maybe glue the printout to manila folders and cut out the dice.

SFR has created starter rules which is much shorter and a better layout.

http://www.dragondice.com/rules.php

The first link which has starter rules for Firewalkers/Treefolk.

As for your last request, are you thinking of PDF's of dice that can be used to create a demo army and play a game to try it out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever bought one box of the dice (used) a long while ago, but I'm definitely interested in reprints and new content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shep
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks!

Thanks for the interest. Firstly, I’m in Snowdonia for the next 5 days and while it’s beautiful, they don’t really do the Internet here... so excuse any slow replies this week!

I’ll certainly pass on any comments you guys have. Of course I can’t promise everything gets addressed, but you have my commitment to raise it!

Sam and Max wrote:
Glad to see you're back!

Some requests:

With regards to the above, as mentioned earlier, there is a starter rules set which is greatly refined and provides all you need to get going. Also, the 80 page ‘full’ rules set is now out of date with the most recent one being issued last month. This is still a hefty 50 pages, but much refined. There is a ‘graphical’ full rules as well, but this is a working document and not quite as complete as the full rules. I know that completing that is a focus for the coming months.

Link to the current rules options was posted above, but for completions sake - http://www.dragondice.com/rules.php

With regards to the Swamp Stalker Dice colour - we may need to fight over this one! I prefer the darker ones That said, I’m unsure what options we have here for current manufacture. I suspect they will match the most recent print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
All Purpose Neko-Sensei
mbmbmbmbmb
ShepWRISTS wrote:

With regards to the Swamp Stalker Dice colour - we may need to fight over this one! I prefer the darker ones That said, I’m unsure what options we have here for current manufacture. I suspect they will match the most recent print.

The brighter green is Swampier.
~,~

But the Chinese decide which colours stay and which colours go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shep
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cat_O wrote:
ShepWRISTS wrote:

The brighter green is Swampier.
~,~

But the Chinese decide which colours stay and which colours go!

Is ‘swampier’ the recognised technical term?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shep
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be an option to "add-on" purchases of other currently available dice along with the swamp stalkers to combine shipping?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shep
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolus wrote:
Will there be an option to "add-on" purchases of other currently available dice along with the swamp stalkers to combine shipping?

Hi Travis,

Indeed! We plan to make the full range of Kickers (pending current stock levels) available during the campaign as add-ons and via the pledge manager.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! There's an excuse to make a big order. And finally buy the black minor terrains I want if they're available too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shep
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolus wrote:
Awesome! There's an excuse to make a big order. And finally buy the black minor terrains I want if they're available too.

Pending the remaining stock, yes, we hope to have the black minors available during the campaign.

Long term, we hope to be able to reprint Battlefields (though I expect this will be some way down the line) and include the black minors in that set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShepWRISTS wrote:
Dolus wrote:

Hi Travis,

Indeed! We plan to make the full range of Kickers (pending current stock levels) available during the campaign as add-ons and via the pledge manager.

Hypothetically, what happens if you have an add-on that people want, but don't have enough to go around? You wouldn't know until the pledge manager starts going, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shep
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Boilerman wrote:
ShepWRISTS wrote:
Dolus wrote:

Hi Travis,

Hypothetically, what happens if you have an add-on that people want, but don't have enough to go around? You wouldn't know until the pledge manager starts going, right?

Hi Jason,

This is why I mentioned “pending current stock levels”. We will need to make some judgement calls nearer the campaign based on what stock is left of other kickers etc. Anything which looks like there is even a chance of not being enough to go around just won’t be included for that very reason. We’d hate to need to let certain backers down like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShepWRISTS wrote:
The Boilerman wrote:
ShepWRISTS wrote:
Dolus wrote:

Hi Travis,

Hi Jason,

This is why I mentioned “pending current stock levels”. We will need to make some judgement calls nearer the campaign based on what stock is left of other kickers etc. Anything which looks like there is even a chance of not being enough to go around just won’t be included for that very reason. We’d hate to need to let certain backers down like that.

Thanks, I hope the campaign does well, but not so well you can't include anything else.

Looking forward to at least watching this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shep
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Boilerman wrote:

Thanks, I hope the campaign does well, but not so well you can't include anything else.

Looking forward to at least watching this one.

Ha. I’m pretty much on the same page there... however, should the campaign do super well, that may allow us to reprint other items that are running low on stock, or other long out of print items... meaning they will be available to you

As such, you probably want it do ‘pretty well’ or ‘amazingly well’, but not in the middle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Crowdfunding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShepWRISTS wrote:
The Boilerman wrote:
ShepWRISTS wrote:
Dolus wrote:

Hi Travis,

Hi Jason,

Another thought is to give the option for people to place orders on the website and "hold for combined shipping" pending the Kickstarter rewards. This would probably require paying the full shipping fees for the order on hold as well as the kickstarter reward, then getting a partial refund later based on actual shipping. But still.

Pros:
- No worries about stock levels
- Not paying kickstarter fees for separate product that already exists
- Less complication on having backers pick their rewards amongst several similarly priced kicker options
Cons:
- Possible added complication for users who need to place a separate order on the website or confusion on how to do that.
- Kickstarter rules? Not sure what their rules are or how to make this acceptable within what rules they have in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shep
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can pretty much guarantee you that this isn't something we'd look to do. Firstly it feel pretty complex, and would make compiling the fulfilment list much tracer than just keeping everything within one pledge management system. We 'could' use out own webstore (or part of it) to handle that process, but frankly there are companies out there that do it very well (far better then us) and so it make sense to use that.

In addition, we are hoping to be able to offer the range (again, pending stock) at a slight discount (it is Kickstarter after all) and keeping all the 'Kickstarter Priced Items' to KS makes much more sense.

With regards to rules - if you are referring to the rules sheets included in Kickers etc, then just like any 'collectable game', they are only accurate at the time of going to press. If you consider ow many revisions rules sets have been through for Dragon Dice, much of the current retail stock around the world is outdated anyway - no different from buying a copy of many LCG systems from FFG - regardless of when you bought your game, you need the most recent FAQ to make it 'up to date'. We are working on a revision of the starter rules for the campaign so we can offer a Swamp Stalker themed starter set as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
All Purpose Neko-Sensei
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Complex fulfillment schemes are always a bad plan for Kickstarters. Drives up cost, time, and shipping errors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShepWRISTS wrote:
With regards to rules

Kickstarter's legal rules.

All of my Dragon Dice rule books, pamphlets, etc. are only retained for nostalgia or for pretty pictures. Or for the lore.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to it! Just anxiously planning all the other kickers/dice I want to add in addition to backing swamp stalkers, which also happens to be my smallest collection among the 12 races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shep
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of the day, we’ll be using the simplest, most reliable and transparent processes possible!

You definitely need more Swamp Stalkers!! Firstly, they rock. Secondly, they rock I have a half decent collection, but still have some holes in the Swamp stalkers! I too can’t wait for the reprint!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.