Popular Tags: [View All]
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys!

We tend to play mostly heavier games, but we do have some lightweight ones we enjoy a lot, for example - Kanagawa, Abyss, Takenoko, Yamatai, Five Tribes etc.

I am looking to get a new game and since I don't think there's something on the heavier side available that we haven't played (or don't own already) I decided to get something lighter.

We've played 7 Wonders Duel before and to be honest we weren't huge fans of it but it was no doubt a very well designed game. As far as I know Pantheon adds nice variety with the Gods, so if I'm getting this I'm getting it with Pantheon.

If I get 7 Wonders I would almost always play it as a three player game (and sometimes as two, but ignore that). Is it worth it to get 7 wonders and mostly play it as a 3-player game?

Or should I just go and get Duel+Pantheon and play it as a decent two-player game. Does 7 Wonders feel that much more substantial or is Duel basically the same just better made for the low play-count of 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders is good with three because all players interact with each other as you can buy resources from your direct neighbor on either side of you. With 4+, there'll be players that you don't interact directly with. Three is the third-best player count according to the BGG crowd, and 90% have it as best or recommended. So I'd probably go with 7W, with the bonus that you can play it with 4-7 players too if you ever have the chance. There are also three expansions and a fourth on the way if you want to expand it.

Most people don't like 7W with two players (62.5% have it as not recommended) but Rahdo has argued that this is the best player count for 7W because of the way each player gets to control the dummy player.

I'm sure whichever you choose will be a great choice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
Wales
Newport
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a huge fan of 7 Wonders. I definitely consider it deeper and more complex than Duel and would also absolutely say it works fine with 3 players (there are many that believe this is actually the best player count for the game, though I prefer 4-5). You can also expand it with Leaders and Cities if you'd like more complexity and new strategies.

I like Duel as well, but prefer 7 Wonders with 3+ than Duel, which is growing on me, but if I could pick either game as an isolated experience I'd prefer the full game.

Having said that, I would say that if you played Duel and really didn't like it, I'm not sure that you would necessarily like 7 Wonders. The games are somewhat different but a lot of the kind of issues people might have with them are the kind of issues they're likely to have with both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah +1 to figaro123's last comment. You don't seem like much of a fan of duel so I really think there is a better game out there for you.

Take my opinion knowing I'm a bigger fan of duel, I think its more polished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OurBG wrote:
Hey guys!

We tend to play mostly heavier games, but we do have some lightweight ones we enjoy a lot, for example - Kanagawa, Abyss, Takenoko, Yamatai, Five Tribes etc.

Well, IMHO if you didn't much care for Duel then adding Duel Pantheon won't substantially change that for you and you likely won't gravitate towards 7 Wonders with three either. 7 Wonders is BEST with 4 or more.

I may be in the minority, but as someone who doesn't consider 7 Wonders or 7 Wonders Duel to be particularly Heavy games...I'd want to ask what you are looking for? I see you have Scythe (what I would consider the one heavy game in your inventory), but not enough data there to really determine the kinds of games you like. Do you like:

- Direct Conflict
- Area Control
- Tile laying (you have Carcassonne)
- Deck Building (you seem to have a few)
- Euro games (cube pushing - didn't see too much of these)

It is hard to determine what you like based on your limited inventory. From what I do see, I'd suggest some at the slightly deeper end of the pool:
- Tyrants of the Underdark - Deck building with Area Control
- Grand Austria Hotel - Card Drafting Euro cube pusher
- Orleans - Bag pooling worker placement

There are LOTS of good games out there. My advice - try more and don't go with something you tried and didn't like. You want a game that you'll love. That game is out there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think that Pantheon fundamentally changes the game and expands what you can do.

However, I guess in my mind, if you want a game to play with 3, get 7 Wonders. If you want a game to play with 2, get Duel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much! I got Duel as we went towards the two-player game.

I don't know if I had a different version or something but it was awful. Now Duel has high (not amazing but still) component quality. For example last time there was rules pamphlet or something and not there are three full size (box size) rule books. Cards, board and everything is much higher quality than it was last time, so my major disappointment is gone.

We played two games - can't say Pantheon changes the game so much, but it adds a very nice variety. I am glad I went back to 7 wonders, will most likely get 7W too.

PS: Tyrants of the Underdark we have and we play. It's awesome! I have around 80ish games now and I've sold a lot, but somehow the Duel didn't get my attention last time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.