18 Posts

Heroes of Land, Air & Sea» Forums » General

Subject: Related Video Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
Disclaimer: I'm just trying to kill time until my pledge arrives.

I have often read the comment that this is the boardgame version of warcraft... and I personally see this much more similar to Heroes of might and magic for the following reasons:

1- It contains Heroes in the title
2- You also get to upgrade your city which then enables you to build a specific unit than you can then take
3- You have heroes running around and doing battle
4- You get the 4X experience, there is also exploration on that game finding random encounters
5- Spells (both combat and global)
6- Did I mention it contains heroes in the title?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Except for "heroes" all that is in warcraft 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dom
msg tools
Oh, man, this is exactly what I was also thinking. Every comment that I read was mentioning that this is a warcraft 3 board game and I was seeing that it was obviously a heroes of might and magic (HOMM) game. Plus:
7- Some exploration tokens are obviously HOMM buildings (portals, mage tower etc)
8- Nomads, start low and add up power (neutral monsters on HOMM map)
9- Ships!
10- Retreat, siege etc cards, obvious HOMM reference
11- Mercenary market (old good tavern in HOMM)
12- Catapults and ballistas expansion, oh man this is HOMM like hell
I believe that the main reason that most people connect it with warcraft is that HOMM is a more oldschoolish game, almost forgotten by the new 20something generation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your Mama
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From day one I have felt the same way. I have been playing Heroes of Might and Magic series since #2. I feel there are more similarities than differences between the Turn Based 4x and the Real Time Strategy 4x games. I too thought the title was a play on and throw back too to Heroes of Might and Magic.

I Just got my first game of Rising Sun in last night, and now I look forward to getting and playing Heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Villarreal
United States
Pacoima
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just throwing this out there, but GG had to make changes to things in the human and orc factions partway through the campaign because they got in some sort of trouble with Blizzard.

If you go back into the very first campaign page that was cancelled before the 2nd one that lasted 2 weeks, you can see what the air units and water units originally looked like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Hayes
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Superbowl Champions!
badge
It's an onion.
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzyfoot wrote:
Just throwing this out there, but GG had to make changes to things in the human and orc factions partway through the campaign because they got in some sort of trouble with Blizzard.

If you go back into the very first campaign page that was cancelled before the 2nd one that lasted 2 weeks, you can see what the air units and water units originally looked like.

Yeah that original looked a lot like Alliance from World of Warcraft. Not sure why the Orc boat went from Turtle to Alligator, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
jsteedhayes wrote:
fuzzyfoot wrote:

Yeah that original looked a lot like Alliance from World of Warcraft. Not sure why the Orc boat went from Turtle to Alligator, however.

Because alligators are more menacing than turtles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's basically warcraft the boardgame without the licence: heroes with special powers and buffs, buildings that level up, units used as both resource collector and fighters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
jsteedhayes wrote:
fuzzyfoot wrote:

Probably because the giant turtle was an orc boat in warcraft 2.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Giant_Turtle_(Warcraft_II)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb

Might & Magic Heroes

I own it and played it once (several years ago) and it does have some similarities. Each faction has 3 custom heroes you can recruit & city with upgrade-able buildings. Though this game is focused on defeating NPC monsters and controlling regions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your Mama
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:

Might & Magic Heroes

I own it and played it once (several years ago) and it does have some similarities. Each faction has 3 custom heroes you can recruit & city with upgrade-able buildings. Though this game is focused on defeating NPC monsters and controlling regions.

I am so jealous! I played Heroes of Might & Magic since it's second iteration on the computer. I tried to track down the board game for a few years and gave up. At least I can play Heroes of M&M III on IOS when I feel nostalgic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SDDonkey wrote:
ScottE wrote:

Might & Magic Heroes

I am so jealous! I played Heroes of Might & Magic since it's second iteration on the computer. I tried to track down the board game for a few years and gave up. At least I can play Heroes of M&M III on IOS when I feel nostalgic.

Sadly it didn't get released in the US so had to order it from Amazon UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your Mama
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
SDDonkey wrote:
ScottE wrote:

Might & Magic Heroes

Sadly it didn't get released in the US so had to order it from Amazon UK.

I'll have to look into that, the next time I am have an overwhelming feeling that I need it. I think HLA&S will help alleviate that feeling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil S
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As of tonight I will own both Heroes of Land, Air & Sea and Might & Magic Heroes . once I have played holas I will do a comparison as have got homm to the table a few times
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your Mama
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amberlejans wrote:
As of tonight I will own both Heroes of Land, Air & Sea and Might & Magic Heroes . once I have played holas I will do a comparison as have got homm to the table a few times

I look forward to your comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mettle Engine
msg tools
mb
There is a little known game called Kohan: Arhimans Gift that is almost 20 yrs old but I STILL play today so many years later.

This game has it all, economy, sieges, heroes (that level up), bases that you can upgrade, etc. it is SO GOOD!

I am always glad to tell people about this game! Check it out!

BTW K:AG is the best in the series!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/97120/Kohan_Ahrimans_Gift/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mettle wrote:
There is a little known game called Kohan: Arhimans Gift that is almost 20 yrs old but I STILL play today so many years later.

This game has it all, economy, sieges, heroes (that level up), bases that you can upgrade, etc. it is SO GOOD!

I am always glad to tell people about this game! Check it out!

BTW K:AG is the best in the series!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/97120/Kohan_Ahrimans_Gift/

Thanks, I'm not familiar with it but put it on my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomans wrote:
I believe that the main reason that most people connect it with warcraft is that HOMM is a more oldschoolish game, almost forgotten by the new 20something generation.

Or maybe because it was explicitly written on the Kickstarter page that it was inspired by WarCraft? Until Blizzard told them to change it, that is. If I recall correctly, the serfs were even called "peons" at first.

I'm a huge fan of the Heroes of Might & Magic series (up to third game, which I still play occasionally) and WarCraft I/II. Oddly, however, the game series that it reminds me most is Age of Wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.