Subject: De-randomising Cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had a chance to play this yet but have heard some criticism of the high level of chance caused by the random card draw. Would it spoil the game if players were allowed to select the cards they wanted for each year? I'm thinking this would allow the players to fit their actions better to their current strategic situation and preferred plan of action. However, would it make each year too predictable? Half drawn/half chosen as an alternative?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Draker
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Complete freedom to choose cards would mean certain cards never get picked and others rarely. For the 1941 Barbarossa scenario I created for tournaments, I allow players to each pick one card. I like a certain amount of chaos to keep each game fresh, but like the idea of allowing players to pick one or two cards each year to support whatever strategy they're pursuing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marten Tjaart Raadsveld
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Let players each turn draw a card for the next year. This way the cards do not come as a complete surprise at the beginning of the year and players can better prepare for a long term strategy. They can only still play cards of the current year.

For the Barbarossa scenario, a house rule is needed like suggested by Ron. The Axis deck is too unpredictable (high change of only drawing cards for the Mideast and/or West). We let each player take out one card of the deck before dealing. At least, this gives the Axis the opportunity to get rid of the horrible Paradrop-card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Nagy
Hungary
balmazújváros
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Draw 3 at eandom then select one, u dont have the select the same every game in this way, but still have the barbarossa card for every game, without that the life much harder for the germans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Westh Sorensen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmb
My friend and I have a house rule, where we pick the cards we want for the year, as long as the total value of the cards are no higher than half the total value of the cards for that year. For 1939 the total of the cards you pick can be up to 1/3 of the total of the 1939 cards.

Example: If the total of the 1942 axis cards are 30 (can’t remember the exact total), you can pick four cards for the year with a total value of 15. That could be 5, 4, 4, 2 or 5, 4, 3, 3, etc. Get it?
In addition the allied side must have 2 blue and 2 red cards.

It works brilliantly, and we use the rule for all our VE games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Nagy
Hungary
balmazújváros
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron: as I know the extra events cards came with Kickstarter in the last second. After 3 years of the release would u change the event on them, like some of them never get use (like winter war or Maginot line) and some just have a very little effect on the game (like +2 PP), while others are very cool and historic (Barbarossa, DAK, 1000 bomber raid)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.