Subject: PYRAMID Question - Triple Spear, Angry Face, and Pyramid rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R A

St. Louis
Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing a three hand solo party. Loving it. Playing solo allows me to get a fair number of games in a week which keeps it fun and dynamic. The game is genius in that the components preserve state - what I mean is I can leave the table in between two rounds and not play again for three days and there is no information loss.

Anyways - through natural play with a focus on retirement goals, my party went from spellweaver, brute, and pyramid to triple arrow, angry face, and pyramid. This destroyed my pyramid. I ended up swapping him out and rolling tinkerer which I had never played. I plan to bring back pyramid when the group composition is more favorable.

For people who have played all these character types, does it make sense to you that my pyramid would suffer such a large drop off with this group change? Or am I missing something with him? He was level 5 (I haven’t yet gotten him to the level 7 OP level).

Side note - triple arrow tank build, angry face kill everything build, and tinkerer is solid. I won’t say the game is easy, but it’s a ton more relaxing and less edgy with this very very stable group. I do play with the solo bump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
what are your problems with the triforce class?

Are you missing elements?
Buy manapotions and staffs to supplement yourself some elements and bring more cards that create elements. Both Stoneface and triplespear rarely produce any elements. There is a reusable card that produces light and wind from the triplespear class, so maybe you could ask your fellow teammate to use that card more often. Also triforce has a card that creates an element at the end of each turn, maybe it would be worth to use that more often?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R A

St. Louis
Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the problem is element generation of course. More elements means more damage and debuffs. So I suppose the main crux of my question is this - is there a play style (below level 7) where the triforce can be effective without a teammate who generates elements? My impression is no. He is usable, but much much weaker even with items.

And the element generation card is -1 damage on every attack therefore it largely negates itself if you add up the overall scenario wide change in damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MA A.
Canada
flag msg tools
We are playing a 2 players party with Triforce and a Brute and the Triforce character does pretty well at level 3. For the first few perks we added a bunch of element cards to his modifier deck. With AoE attacks he has a good chance to create new elements. We cannot rely on this of course, but it's always useful especially if you use the card that add +1 Attack to any attack when you consume any element.

We also bought the Boots of Striding so he can use his Move 2 cards that generate an element more easily to set up for next turn. He also has a Minor Mana Potion to create an element of his choice for next turn and a Stamina Potion to get back a discarded card that fit well with the elements currently in play. Since we got a lot of money on our last scenario I'm looking to buy a Minor Mana Potion for the Brute too to help out the Triforce character.

So in the end yeah, the Triforce can be effective without a teammate who generates elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke St. Marie
msg tools
I had a similar experience of playing triforce, at level <7, in a non-elemental generating party, and it felt much weaker than any of the other classes I've experienced. Even leveling up and adding element cards to the attack deck didn't help, for two reasons. First, they're fickle. Sometimes you don't draw them, sometimes you draw an element that is already created and it is wasted, and even when you do get them, their random nature means they probably aren't the element you need. Oh, I drew fire? Well, I better hope I still have a fire-consuming attack in my hand, and that it's a good option for next turn, or else I'm gonna use that card sub-optimally or I am gonna to consume that element just for +1 to a weak attack which I don't have the element for. Secondly, the element cards fill your attack deck with a bunch of +0s! While other classes beef up their attack decks and draw +1s frequently, triforce gets +0 element cards that will give them +1 on an attack next turn if they are lucky and it works out nicely.

You also get elements by playing element generating cards, but those are often weak cards like move 2s. So, to get an element to boost my attack up to a normal strength, I have to play weak cards or draw +0s. It's a sacrifice that doesn't really pay off, especially as what cards you can play to full effect is so constrained by what elements are available. Even using items for elements is a tradeoff. Everyone else gets to use items to make them more powerful, but it feels like triforce needs to use items to bring them up to normal strength.

I was playing in a group of two. In a larger group, with more enemies to hit with AoEs and generate elements off of, and with more allies to generate elements for me, I'm sure triforce can be strong. And obtaining the powerful level 7 card helps a lot as well. But in a low-medium level, 2 player, low-element party, triforce just feels weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey P
msg tools
mbmb
Triple Spear can do a lot of element-generation, depending on your available items, and even at prosperity 2 has some options. By level 4, you can have Scroll of Lightning as your primary attack to frequently recover (supporting triangle's 'burn any element for +1dmg' card), as well as Continual supply, which can either fuel his own item use (by recovering Oversized Pack to use again, to use all small items 3x/scenario before other refreshes), or other characters.
So, [Prosperity 2 items]
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Triple Spear can have a 3x-use mana potion, alongside 3x-use stamina potion/etc. (Grab Cloak of Pockets if you're going all-in on self small-item-recovery) to keep playing Scroll of Lightning, or can endlessly refresh an ally's mana potion

Even better [Prosperity 3 & Random Designs]
Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you have any wands, Triple-Spear can keep refreshing his/others' Moon Earrings to constantly use them, and/or bring cards to refresh them directly.
Reinforced Steel can let him do that every turn starting at level 5, and Quiver of Arrows at Lvl 6 turns Triangle into a total monster, in my experience.

So, I'd say put the class down for a couple scenarios while you buy appropriate support items on/get a couple levels on Triple Spear, and then enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R A

St. Louis
Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your combos may be viable and I may try them out. But shifting the triple spear to Mona generation support mode comes with a trade off. The pyramid will do more damage but the triple spear will do vastly less damage.

Pyramid seems to work well if paired with other classes that make elements as part of an optimal build. Using triple spears every round reset ability to make elements for pyramid is actually a huge cost to his output.

I don’t know. Pyramid can work but he feels underpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j ribs
msg tools
mb
The pyramid only works well with other classes that generate elements because you steal the elements they need to power up their attacks.

When I first played the pyramid it was also with a spellweaver and we both suffered. I was only good when I was taking the elements from the spellweaver.

The pyramid doesnt and shouldnt rely on others for elements, yeah its nice if you can get a nice free element from somewhere but you can create plenty on your own.

He is probably the hardest class i've played so far because you always have to be juggling the elements. Great pay off when done right though. Dont rely on anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey P
msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, I suppose dedicating reinforced steel would be a bit of an extreme measure (I certainly didn’t go that far, though I saved up to enhance my reinforced steel bottom with an AoE strengthen for a tanking/offensive-support build anyway), though having one mana generating spent item to refresh *sometimes* along with a potion doesn’t interfere with your offensive core. Small item recovery to help fuel scroll of lightning most rounds (using the bottom as a move on wind-critical turns) isn’t actually a sacrifice (it’s your best attack until lvl 8) since basically never resting and running on oversized-pack/continual supply-refueled potions is arguably the best way to run triple spear anyway (at least at prosperity 4+), and extra healing potions/damage sink small items provide as good damage mitigation as hide/etc for tanking anyway once you’re using them 3x/scenario (and you can still bring a shield if you really want a tank item to refresh with reinforced steel).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
Triangles also seemed weak in our group. It has one really amazing card at level 7, but the rest of the class kind of seems like it does what other people do except less efficiently. Even if it consumes elements and generates a decent attack, its still weaker than most other classes because most classes can get some extra mileage out of their modifier deck. OTOH, triangles has a deck loaded with +0 elements, so you tend to get no extra bonuses beyond the attack value.

One amazing OP card, a bit of support for it, and a bunch of filler abilities did not seem like a fun mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Before level 7 triforce is very random without allied elements, unless you get Curse onto Crystallising blast. And even with allied elements, it's fiddly AF.

After level 7, it gets stupid, but only because of That One Card.

I really didn't enjoy mine much at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.