Subject: Scenario 25 advice please (spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Wonham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

4 character party, dungeon level 2. Tinkerer, Cthulhu, Concentric Circles and Lightning Bolt.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The six Hounds in the first room destroyed us. The retaliate plus the +2 attack if they're surrounding you were just too much. Once we opened the door, the six drakes took their own toll and finished us off. We did get the treasure though, so some of those monsters will find it harder next time...

I'm wondering if this party make-up has any chance.
Summoned creatures last one round when you have retaliate 2 against you, which makes Circles a bit limited. Cthulhu curse and poison is important, but takes a while to cut in. Tinkerer spends too much time healing to be of use. Lightning bolt has no ranged attack so the hounds really hurt.

Any advice on a better make-up or tactics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate Hounds in the first room of any scenario. In fact, I’m starting to hate the first room of any scenario regardless of who’s in it.

That said, I’d use any immobilize powers that you have to buy time (especially area powers). Poison is great, but not going to stop them chewing on your face. Immobilize, then focus fire with ranged (if possible). Summons, at this point (and against retaliate) are going to be meat shields only, but that might keep you alive longer. Finally, once the hounds do engage, manage your spacing so they can’t get as many adjacency bonuses.

I’ve said this all without actually looking at the lightning or circles classes (but I know the other two have some immobilize) so I’m not sure how useful it will be. This was my experience in a couple of scenarios with hounds, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, hounds are brutal if they draw the Pack Tactics card on turn one. As Circles and Cthulhu, get your ranged attacks working ASAP. Circles can either body block some hounds, or save their HP to aggro the drakes in the next room. As Lightning Bolt, get in there and take some damage - you're by far the tankiest member of the team. As Tinkerer, you want to go fast and immobilize the hounds. They're also quite vulnerable to D-Beam if your Tinkerer is level 5+, thanks to their low max health.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lightning Bolt advice:

Taking damage is positive for you so make sure to position so you tank as much as you can. Then use an item and an attack 5 or 6 to take out two hounds. On subsequent turns, Tinkerer and Cthulhu can keep some enemies incapacitated while Lightning Bolt picks off one each turn, if nothing else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wonham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completed, but that took a lot of thinking.

Let the hounds come to us. Spent three rounds dealing with them and pushing the Inox to nearly 26 hp. Then ran for it. Summons did good work on the drakes. Final room was quite hard, but in the end ... ok.... certainly the hardest scenario so far. We were so worried about not making it we picked up zero cash....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.