Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Aeon's End: Legacy» Forums » Crowdfunding

Subject: Slow KS campaign? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vibagon Vibagon
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know KS: after the first two days, the rate of pledges drop dramatically, till the last days of campaign, when things go up again. I'm not concerned about that, but about the distance between stretchgoals: 20K in the beginning, now they dropped to 12.5K... what does that mean? Is the campaign less succesful than expected? Will we break all the stretchgoals planned? Will we end with an unfinished expansion? Why so little updates on the KS page? None yesterday... I expect at least 1 update per day: on new mechanics, or the state of the campaign... IDK
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you check the previous campaigns?
The update thing has never been big with IBC. Which is good as you won't get drown in flames... I mean mails.
In War Eternal, the amount between each stretch-goal did start off big, then bigger, then smaller, then bigger.
So pretty standard.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vibagon Vibagon
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just too used to CMON, with 1-2 updates a day, for each SG. Ok, no worries then
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vibagon wrote:
I'm just too used to CMON, with 1-2 updates a day, for each SG. Ok, no worries then


When we say CMON is harmful to Kickstarters, we actually mean it
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stanford
United Kingdom
Baildon
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Vibagon wrote:
I'm just too used to CMON, with 1-2 updates a day, for each SG. Ok, no worries then


When we say CMON is harmful to Kickstarters, we actually mean it

Besides the point, but the way CMON do their kickstartes is actually harmful to themselves too. With so many exclusives, it really put people off buying the game at retail later. They'd be much better off (especially considering how mini-heavy their games are, and the price of moulds being a major initial cost) putting out the exclusives at a heavy discount during the KS, but making them available in retail later.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Himes
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To put it in perspective, Aeon's End War Eternal raised a total of 434,000 over the course of their entire campaign. Aeon's End Legacy has raised 298,000 so far after only three days. This campaign is going just fine. It may surpass the previous one, it may not, but it seems to be doing quite well.

EDIT: Just check the previous campaign, and found the update from this point in the previous campaign. They had not even broke 180,000 at this point, so we are WAY ahead on this one. Also the rate of updates is about the same. One each the first two days, none the third, and one more on the forth. If we get an update today, then this game will be on the exact same pattern as War Eternal, but with way more money raised.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Merfeld
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Sounds like someone hasn't seen the average KS campaign Not every one had to be a million dollar project and have multiple updates per day
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course the best KS campaign ever (after Aeon's End's) was Kingdom Death: Monster 1.5.
Complete madness.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stanford
United Kingdom
Baildon
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Of course the best campaign ever (after Aeon's End's) was Kingdom Death: Monster 1.5.
Complete madness.

The KS campaign was a bit nuts too.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
phoenixandy wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
Of course the best campaign ever (after Aeon's End's) was Kingdom Death: Monster 1.5.
Complete madness.

The KS campaign was a bit nuts too.


Yeah I meant the KS campaign

I'll correct that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Merfeld
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Personally thought 7th Continent was pretty nuts too. It's comment section was a persistent meme factory...

If that's your thing. Something ongoing about goats.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jayvir wrote:
Personally thought 7th Continent was pretty nuts too. It's comment section was a persistent meme factory...

If that's your thing. Something ongoing about goats.


Actually I found the 2nd campaign very annoying just because of that. Goats where a thing in the first campaign because oniony mispelled stretch-goal, and it spiralled out of control, and as an homage to the fun that ensued, the team created the goat companion card.
Those who backed in the 2nd campaign did pun after pun for the sake of it without knowing why and going too far, but it had lost its meaning by then, and it was just too much.

That plus poor decisions from the team with add-ons reveal and stretch-goal choices... Meh.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hoffmann
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is funded, that is all I care about.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stanford
United Kingdom
Baildon
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Easybeans wrote:
phoenixandy wrote:
Besides the point, but the way CMON do their kickstartes is actually harmful to themselves too. With so many exclusives, it really put people off buying the game at retail later. They'd be much better off (especially considering how mini-heavy their games are, and the price of moulds being a major initial cost) putting out the exclusives at a heavy discount during the KS, but making them available in retail later.

How can you say they'd be much better off doing things your way when they consistently run some of the most successful Kickstarter campaigns out there?

Because I consistently see people put off buying into their games after the fact because of the amount of KS exclusives. It's obvious that this is hurting their retail sales figures, as every single person put off buying the base game is a potential $500 of total product they could have sold (on the assumption that most people put off are the kind of people likely to want to get everything).

Plus, as I said, it's well documented that the moulds (and original sculpts) are by far the most expensive part of mini production, yet for the KS exclusives in CMON games, those moulds are tossed after all the KS copies are produced. If however, they were to keep producing those minis, and selling them at retail, the only ongoing costs are the per-unit manufacturing and distribution costs.

Now, in fairness, taking Black Plague as an example, they had around 20k backers, so it's not as if they were only using the KS exclusive moulds for 100 or so minis each, but continuing to produce them, and packaging them in a retail-friendly manner would certainly be generating revenue that they currently don't see.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stanford
United Kingdom
Baildon
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Easybeans wrote:
phoenixandy wrote:
Because I consistently see people put off buying into their games after the fact because of the amount of KS exclusives. It's obvious that this is hurting their retail sales figures, as every single person put off buying the base game is a potential $500 of total product they could have sold (on the assumption that most people put off are the kind of people likely to want to get everything).

Plus, as I said, it's well documented that the moulds (and original sculpts) are by far the most expensive part of mini production, yet for the KS exclusives in CMON games, those moulds are tossed after all the KS copies are produced. If however, they were to keep producing those minis, and selling them at retail, the only ongoing costs are the per-unit manufacturing and distribution costs.

Now, in fairness, taking Black Plague as an example, they had around 20k backers, so it's not as if they were only using the KS exclusive moulds for 100 or so minis each, but continuing to produce them, and packaging them in a retail-friendly manner would certainly be generating revenue that they currently don't see.

It's their business model. They're like a movie studio that drops a huge summer blockbuster then moves onto their next project. You want them to be television studio with a long running sitcom. Neither is wrong. Neither is a better business model than the other. They're just different.

They are different. One has low risk (KS-heavy), and lower ongoing revenue, the other is higher risk and higher ongoing revenue. Their entire business model and cash flow balance is built around the former, so it would be very difficult for them to switch at this point, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be more profitable for them if they could.

But to go back to your analogy, what I'm suggesting is that they stop taking the post-credits sequence off for the home-video release. I'm not suggesting they completely change what they produce, just how they sell it long-term.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarok Tarok
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
"Slow KS campaign?"
I was just thinking the same, few updates and weak marketing.
I mean, the game is amazing and the formula has already been successful, but it would be wrong to rest on laurels. They have a great product, push for the sell! cool
p.s. i am no ks expert, just my feeling
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarok wrote:
They have a great product, push for the sell!


It's a balancing act, if they push too much then some people will get turned off. Besides, when the product is great then you don't need to do the pushy salesman bit, just let the product sell itself.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
90% of the content in a legacy game is a spoiler, so what exactly would an update cover?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
90% of the content in a legacy game is a spoiler, so what exactly would an update cover?


Buried secrets
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
90% of the content in a legacy game is a spoiler, so what exactly would an update cover?


Spoilers.

No seriously, one of the updates gave a preview of one of the new mechanics. No reason to think they couldn't do it again. (Although admittedly not very often lest there's nothing left to spoil! )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinjohn3d wrote:
Spoilers.

No seriously, one of the updates gave a preview of one of the new mechanics. No reason to think they couldn't do it again. (Although admittedly not very often lest there's nothing left to spoil! )


I'm honestly surprised they spoiled the first mechanic at this point, and think they shouldn't have.
I'm also surprised they warned of spoilers for the Buried Secrets expansion when they're really light, if any, spoilers.

Hope they won't reveal anything more from the campaign It would be a shame for newcomers. Discovering the first spoiled mechanic 100% blind was quite exciting.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I'm honestly surprised they spoiled the first mechanic at this point, and think they shouldn't have.
I'm also surprised they warned of spoilers for the Buried Secrets expansion when they're really light, if any, spoilers.

Hope they won't reveal anything more from the campaign It would be a shame for newcomers. Discovering the first spoiled mechanic 100% blind was quite exciting.


I agree but I know why they're doing it. People expect to see updates about gameplay and what's new before they're willing to invest their money, despite it kind of being a detriment to the experience. I don't think it will be the last of the campaign spoilers to be revealed.

At least they are using very large spoiler tags to warn people
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.