4 Posts

Breaking Teeth: The Battle of Teruel, December, 1937» Forums » General

Subject: Regarding the title rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis E. Hernández
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be noted that the word "muela" in Spanish not only refers to teeth, but also to a geographical feature. In the case of the "Muela of Teruel", the word should be translated rather as "plateau" or just as "hill". The reference to "teeth" in this game´s title seems inappropriate.

Otherwise, I´m very interested to see this design finished
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You don't think that this was perhaps just the nickname of the hill? At least in the wikipedia article on the battle its referred to as Teruel's Tooth and cited in a Spanish Civil War history book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis E. Hernández
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may be right, but I think that may be a misinterpretation. Wikipedia is not always 100% reliable and it´s not canonical either. The word "muela" has both senses in Spanish, a hill and a tooth. When choosing an option to translate, many times you loose any possible ambiguity in a text.

Anyway, if you check the RAE (Spanish Acadaemy of Language) dictionary, you will find this:

4. f. Cerro escarpado en lo alto y con cima plana.

("high steep hill with flat top", which, yes, resembles a teeth)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see what you mean. Personally I think that using Teruel's Tooth as a title rather than referring to it as a mere hill gives the whole thing more gravitas etc.

Quickly looking through more google results gave me two books that used it.

https://books.google.com/books?id=wywcDQAAQBAJ&printsec=fron...

https://books.google.com/books?id=NfO-BAAAQBAJ&printsec=fron...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.