Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

We had our first session yesterday and enjoyed it a big deal. Of course we moved slowly as we had to consult the (living) rules every "once in a while" whistle but overall we managed the beast.

One thing I don't fully get is the rain-shadow constrain when degasing something to the map.

First option is clear: put it into the center hex of a craton.
Second option: not so much for me...

It says put it downwind to mountain, so I assume in this circumstance it means that clouds will be "pushed" against the mountains.

--> <e><m>

So let's say if wind is blowing from west towards east (--> I could place the white disk from atmosphere or clouds to the empty hex <e>, correct? Hopefulle the little icons above make sense.

If so - does it mean I cannot place a disk using this event in a latitude where there is no wind direction?

Thanks,
Markus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a rain shadow:

So the shadow is on the "downwind" side - if the wind was a light source, then the rain shadow is where the shadow would be.

This does mean that with no wind direction, there is no rain shadow.

With the "windy" event, rainshadows are on both sides of all mountains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the graphic - awesome

So my example was actually wrong, it should be:

--> <m><o>

Right?

Thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dom has provided a very nice image to demonstrate this event. The white disks represent deserts or ice caps (see D5b), i.e. the lack of water in its liquid form. Therefore the impacted biome is next to the mountain biome in wind direction, because the liquid water has precipitated on the other side from whence the clouds were blown against the mountain side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoystickZ wrote:
Thanks for the graphic - awesome

So my example was actually wrong, it should be:

--> <m><o>

Right?

Yup.

Wind Direction --->
<M><o>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a dramatic example from life, I recently visited Patagonia--southern Argentina to be exact. The Andes there scrape off moisture blowing in from the Pacific onto the Chilean side of the range. The moisture creates tons of rainfall there, but also tons of snowfall in the high mountains, which contributes to the Southern Patagonia Ice Field--the second largest non-polar ice field in the world. The ice field is how you get dramatic landscapes like this (Glaciar Perito Moreno) at the foot of the mountains on the Argentina side of the range:

While only 50km east of there (El Calafate), the climate is semi-arid desert with sparse precipitation and plant life:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Papageorgiou
Greece
Larisa
Larisa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Since this thread is about Rain-shadow, I would like to ask for a specific case of this.

If there is a black disk (mountain) on an offshore location, could the hex next to it be a valid location for the event if the wind is blowing towards the west on that hex?

So below if <1> through <7> are the craton hexes, b is a black offshore disk (mountain) and O are offshore without disks. Is hex <2> a valid target for placing the white disk? Or only mountains on continental hexes count?

Wind direction <--
<1><2>b
<3><4><5>O
<6><7>O

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ulfgdar wrote:
If there is a black disk (mountain) on an offshore location, could the hex next to it be a valid location for the event if the wind is blowing towards the west on that hex?

So below if <1> through <7> are the craton hexes, b is a black offshore disk (mountain) and O are offshore without disks. Is hex <2> a valid target for placing the white disk? Or only mountains on continental hexes count?

An offshore black disk is NOT a mountain, so it cannot be used to generate a rain shadow. Offshore black disks are referred to as carbon deposits (C1h).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Papageorgiou
Greece
Larisa
Larisa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We had this come up in our first game and could not find the relevant paragraph in the rules. Searching for Carbon deposit I managed to find it.
Seems we played it correctly by chance.

Thank you for clarifying this David. Managed to find it by searching for carbon deposit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.