Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I love the new Event deck and that I don't have to deal with the fiddly Hot Spots. However, for my taste, the fire ramps up too fast and there are too many events to deal with.

If there is anyone else who feels the same, please try out my variant which makes the fire intensity to ramp up linearly as the game progresses and it also diminishes the amount of Event card draws so you don't go through the full deck during the game.

The biggest change is that the Flare Up cards do nothing more than add one Fire Advance roll. So when you get one, you roll for Fire Advance and then draw another card from the deck. You do not get +2 AP, you do not draw an Event card and you do not place a new Flare Up to the discard pile of the Fire Deck.

This makes it so that only the Accelerate card accelerates the fire and causes events.

I have done some simulations with those rules and I would recommend the following Fire Deck distributions for different difficulty levels and player counts.

So on the Image the FR means the amount of Fire Rages cards in the Deck. In addition to those, add Accelerate card to the Fire Deck and set "FU" number of Flare Ups as a reserve. When playing with Heroic rules, do the setup as above, but as an additional step move one Flare Up from the Reserve to the Fire Deck at the start of play (and shuffle).

HS_ini and HS_res are just for comparing to the Hot Spot version of the game, and they stand for the initial number of Hot Spots in play and the amount in reserve.

As the amount of Flare Ups is smaller than in the regular game, the Clear ability of the Structural Engineer must be somehow weakened. I have not play tested this rule, but I suggest that he can only remove Flare Ups from the Fire Deck discard pile and he has to pay 1 extra AP for every non Flare Up card (Fire Rages or Respite) that is on top of the Flare Up on the discard pile. Should probably be limited to be a once / turn thing as well, as the Flare Ups are added a lot slower in this variant.

Also I would say that playing with these rules is probably slightly easier than with the Hot Spots, especially on the Heroic level. The exception being the 1-2 player Recruit rules which are harder than when playing with the HS rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like an interesting idea, and I plan to try it out. One question: On Heroic mode, does the "FU" column include the FU card added to the Fire Deck? In other words, with six players, would I do:

FIRE DECK: 9 Fire Rages, 1 Accelerate, 1 Flare-Up
RESERVE: 7 Flare-Up

or

FIRE DECK: 9 Fire Rages, 1 Accelerate, 1 Flare-Up
RESERVE: 6 Flare-Up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The latter, the Flare Up is taken from the reserve.

Although as I said, Heroic level is somewhat easier on this variant compared to the base game rules. It takes longer on average to get to the end state of the Fire Deck than to the end state of the Hot Spots. This is caused by the positive feedback mechanism of adding Hot Spots compared to the linear adding style in this variant. For the same reason the Recruit 1-2 players is a lot harder on the Fire Deck; there are so few Hot Spots initially that it takes a very long time for the reserve HSs to get added to the board when playing with the base rules.

Edit: spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the simulation results for the 6 players / Heroic mode using these house rules.

As you can see, the amount of smoke on the board is pretty similar on turn 30 (FU these house rules, HS is the regular Hot Spot version), but after that the regular game gets a small head start on difficulty. The reason for this is in the number of turns it takes for the fire to reach its maximum intensity (all Hot Spots or Flare Ups in play).

This histogram shows the turn number when the maximum intensity is reached.

As can be seen, on the HS version that happens on turn 25 and on the house ruled FU version that happens on turn 32 or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cartas cartas
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Arto,
I just tested your variant with new FlareUp card. I didn't changed the number of cards yet, nevertheless it was much better. The amount of Events was much lower

Do you have setup recommendation for 6 players?
Your tables are just for 1-5 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the compliments.

I had forgotten about 6 players as I have never played with 6... However, the decks are based on hot spots from the base game and I don't think there is any difference in Hot Spots in 5 vs 6 firefighters, so you should use the same deck as with 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cartas cartas
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.
We usually play in 2 players but with 6 firefighters (each of us controls 3). It enables to use more special functions but also needs more coordination

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you know, I created a play aid to implement this house rule -- a card the size of the Fire Deck cards so it can just be tucked in with them.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/177223/fpfr-consistent-fi...

I hope this makes it so easy to use this rule, that it inspires more people to give it a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.