Eldritch Horror: Masks of Nyarlathotep» Forums » News

Subject: Masks Spoilers Needed! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaroslav Vrba
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Hi,
is there anyone lucky to have got the Masks expansion already and also eager to share any card breakdown/pics with us unlucky lot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam S
msg tools
mb
The rule book is up on the Fantsy Flight website if you haven't seen it yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaroslav Vrba
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
xaxppzx1 wrote:
The rule book is up on the Fantsy Flight website if you haven't seen it yet
¨
As a matter of fact, I indeed saw it; it was me who posted it here at forums originally ;-)
I meant rather more detailed breakdown of the content:
- breakdown of conditions with details on the new one
- breakdown of Otherwold Encounters
- breakdown of Mystic Ruins (I think only 2 were spoiled, if I am correnct?)
- breakdown of Unique assests...

I think you can get what I meant ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there I just bought it last night, but it's back at home so I'm going by memory.

- Conditions: basically 2 of each of the many of the existing ones, then 6-8 of the new one (Corruption, I think).

- Only 4-6 OW encounters from what I remember, the two I read were The Future and The Past. Interestingly, there are 3 new gate tokens for R'yleh (space 3), space 9 and one more.

- Mystic Ruins: these are all new locations. Mu (apace 2), Atlantis (space 8) , something I forget (space 9) and space 19, if I remember correctly. So that's 2 water ruin locations and 2 wilderness ruin locations, Nice to add to the Strange Remnants Ruins deck which was getting stale.
There's also another Mystic Ruins Token, and I haven't read through all the Preludes yet, but I hope there's one where you can use 2 Mystic Ruins Tokens like the Prelude that has you use two Expedition Tokens.

- 16 Unique Assets, 4 new versions of Stone Chest. 2-4 new character Assets if you're familiar with the MoN Call of Cthulhu module, their inclusion makes sense. 4 new Tasks that give you a penalty if you DON'T flip it over as soon as you can.

- also 4 new Artifacts, I like the Black Fan a lot.

- 4 Preludes are reprints for specific AOs, and indicated with the logo of their original expansion on the bottom left. So for those of us who have everything, these are duplicates that won't get used.

- Similarly, there's a duplicate Cthulhu epic monster and a few other monsters in the punch out section, but no more Cultists! I think 1-2 totally new monsters.

- punch out section also has a boatload of Focus tokens, Resource tokens, the Mystic Ruins token and no Health or Sanity. Reinforces to me that this is the last planned expansion.

- rather than another set of "cheat sheet" cards with ACTIONS on one side and MYTHOS PHASE on reverse, there's a new type of card which outlines ACTIONS on one side, ENCOUNTERS on the other and a couple of words on the Mythos Phase. I think these will be less useful to many because the originals had a nice breakdown of what order Reckonings are done in; you don't have that here.

hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also a new boon condition isn't there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't remember unfortunately; I was having a deep discussion with my brother while putting cards in sleeves, so took a good look at some of them and others kind of flipped by. I've got Sunday set for game one with the new stuff though

Oh there is a new spell with 4 versions of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
There's also a new boon condition isn't there?

Living Link. +1 to all skills, flip on reckoning for a good effect that repeats each reckoning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krysmopompas wrote:
2-4 new character Assets if you're familiar with the MoN Call of Cthulhu module, their inclusion makes sense.
Or if you're familiar with Arkham Horror where they also appeared.

Krysmopompas wrote:
Similarly, there's a duplicate Cthulhu epic monster
This one sounds crazy. When is it going to be used? The original Cthulhu token appeared in the core game. There's no point in providing a duplicate unless:
• It's a replacement. But in this case the rulebook should mention "Hey, we included this new revised Cthulhu token, please throw out the old one."
• There can be a situation where you'll need two Cthulhu tokens. Wait, what‽
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
Krysmopompas wrote:
2-4 new character Assets if you're familiar with the MoN Call of Cthulhu module, their inclusion makes sense.

Krysmopompas wrote:
This one sounds crazy. When is it going to be used? The original Cthulhu token appeared in the core game. There's no point in providing a duplicate unless:
• It's a replacement. But in this case the rulebook should mention "Hey, we included this new revised Cthulhu token, please throw out the old one."

Pretty sure it is the latter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually you know what I would have liked? One double-sided card for all AOs with some flowery text for VICTORY and DEFEAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
Krysmopompas wrote:

No, not all of them. Jake Williams and the module’s superstar Jack Brady are here and neither are in AH.

Krysmopompas wrote:
• There can be a situation where you'll need two Cthulhu tokens. Wait, what‽[/q]

Just checked and both the Cthulhu epic monster and Haunter of the Dark epic monster are exactly the same as the originals. Haven’t rifled through the mythos cards or whatnot with a fine tooth comb yet though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krysmopompas wrote:
Jake Williams and the module’s superstar Jack Brady are here and neither are in AH.
That's great to know, thank you. I have stupidly assumed which allies you are referring to even thought I barely know anything about the module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Breski

Chorley
msg tools
mb
Krysmopompas wrote:
Actually you know what I would have liked? One double-sided card for all AOs with some flowery text for VICTORY and DEFEAT.

THIS. i still can’t believe this has never been done as it’s the biggest missing piece in otherwise story-driven game. Shame as i think MoN is last expansion for EH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Breski

Chorley
msg tools
mb
haroth9842 wrote:
Krysmopompas wrote:

Krysmopompas wrote:

I’m just thinking: there might be a situation where you need to randomly draw an epic monster. Having 2 cthulhu monsters in token pool greatly increases the chances of pulling him
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shodan84 wrote:
Krysmopompas wrote:

THIS. i still can’t believe this has never been done as it’s the biggest missing piece in otherwise story-driven game. Shame as i think MoN is last expansion for EH.

If they even released it as a POD, Mythos-card sized pack (like they do for certain Arkham Horror: The Card Game scenarios) I'd buy it, and you'd think it would be cheap to produce.

But you're right, this certainly feels like the last expansion and we only have 16 Ancient Ones, so that would be a very small POD Pack. You'd think they would have thought about that and put it in the MoN expansion.

Maybe they'll get their act together, make some and give them away for Arkham Nights 2018.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They should make AO pods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Shrugs
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

Just checked and both the Cthulhu epic monster and Haunter of the Dark epic monster are exactly the same as the originals. Haven’t rifled through the mythos cards or whatnot with a fine tooth comb yet though.

I can see why they'd include another Haunter of the Dark. It's associated with Nyarly and probably used by that AO, so you'd want to make sure players had one if they don't own the Pyramids expansion.

No idea about Cthulhu though. Unless they're just being thoughtful and including a duplicate that you can put in your generic pool of Epic Monsters, rather than go digging through your AO baggies when it's called for in a non-Cthulhu game. (I store the AO-specific Epic Monster tokens like Cthylla and Shubby with their respective cards rather than in the main Epic Monster bag.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
On one of the Antideluvium Research encounter cards the Cthulu Epic Monster Ambushes you! This can lead to the need for 2 Cthulu Epic Monsters temporarily in play if the AO is Antideluvium and Cthulu has spawned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WarGamester wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
On one of the Antideluvium Research encounter cards the Cthulu Epic Monster Ambushes you! This can lead to the need for 2 Cthulu Epic Monsters temporarily in play if the AO is Antideluvium and Cthulu has spawned.
Ambushes don't need physical tokens. They only need reference. It's a relatively common occurence for an ambush to use a monster token spawned elsewhere on the board as a reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.